NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

250MFC2020 Submission Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CappyCat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CappyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 250MFC2020 Submission Issue
    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 9:44pm
Did anyone else have issues with the word limit counter on their submission? My story was spot on 250words, the count on my Word document was 250words and I counted it manually myself several times but I couldn't submit my story because apparently it was two words over the limit. I tried repasting it but still no luck. I just coped it and tweaked two words so it was 248words on my count and 250words on the submission link.

Anyone else have issues with this or know what words may have been causing an issue?

Would be pretty problematic for someone submitting last minute if they had the exact word limit and had to edit out words because the submission counter is over-estimating words somehow?

Thanks!
Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 9:56pm
No, I had no issues. You didn't include your title perhaps when you pasted it? Apologies, if you haven't.  Someone on here suggested pasting the story twice, then deleting the excess. You're right. Problematic for sure. Thank goodness you had time to fiddle with it.
metaphor.life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metaphor.life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 9:59pm
Yes, I had a similar issue. I removed all line breaks and it seemed to recognize the draft as 250 words, but when I added line breaks to make it easier to read then it counted it as 251 words.
AngofWords View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AngofWords Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 12:18am
I discovered that the form counted my em-dashes as words. I reformatted and was fine.
shady View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 12:24am
Same. Mine said spot on but the firm said one word over. I took out a word.
shady
JuliKobayashi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JuliKobayashi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 2:05am
Sorry that happened to you, that's so frustrating when every word is so precious! I personally had no issues, my word count was 249 via Gdocs, 248 via Microsoft Word and I got no errors during submission.
MF250 R1: "Life of Ophrys"
FFC R2: “Breaking"
John Tannhauser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Tannhauser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 5:03am
Same deal. Sent a tech support request. No response in time (or in fact at all, thus far). Ripped off by five words at the finish line. Still ticked off Angry

If we pay an entry fee, it is reasonable to expect the rules and tools to work fairly and properly.
JT
kristina_f View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 5:53am
Originally posted by AngofWords AngofWords wrote:

I discovered that the form counted my em-dashes as words. I reformatted and was fine.

I didn't have this issue. I had three em-dashes in my story. Did you put spaces on either side of them, perhaps?

One of the challenges, sadly, is navigating inconsistency in word counts. Scrivener and Word both clock me in at 249, while Google Docs has me at 246. In my case it is because google docs erroneously treats em-dashes like hyphens. In both Scrivener and Google Docs, '10:30' is counted as two words while 'ten-thirty' is one. Word, however, counts both of them as one word.

In all the possible variables, it's difficult to predict exactly how Submittable will determine word count.
Anansi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anansi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 6:59am
Yes I found that certain symbols were counted as words, so I had to re-format a little.

Although. In the end I actually submitted 254 words, because FYI hyphenated words count as one word in submittable. 

Edited by Anansi - 22 Nov 2020 at 7:00am
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 7:05am
Originally posted by John Tannhauser John Tannhauser wrote:

Same deal. Sent a tech support request. No response in time (or in fact at all, thus far). Ripped off by five words at the finish line. Still ticked off Angry

If we pay an entry fee, it is reasonable to expect the rules and tools to work fairly and properly.

If you haven't already, send your story to feedback@nycmidnight.com and explain what happened.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic