NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

250 words - submitted!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 8:19am
Sci-Fi again. Still, could be worse.

Group 68/ eating a salad / wire. Mine is lovingly called 'Human Female Salad Intake: A Study.' Smile

stellajaye View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stellajaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 7:17pm
lol, I love some of these prompts. Melting cheese? That's awesome. I can't wait to read these. 
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stellajaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 7:19pm
Oh, and mine was Suspense and/or Thriller • Putting away groceries • rave

So random, but I had a blast writing it. Hope everyone else enjoys it. :)
Mchittenden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mchittenden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

Considering I only started writing around 10, I'm done early. Group 115 (I think?), Action/Adventure, climbing a wall, miss. I wasn't particularly inspired, but I'm bored with A/A. The setting (back to the well of polar exploration) MAY be partially inspired by the weather (we had a winter storm warning Thursday, then during a downgrade to "alert" yesterday I actually had to turn back from driving to work, and today it was touch and go whether my boss would have me leave early as I have the longest drive and was going to have to take a longer way to stay on better-cleared roads, though I ended up being able to stay. The drive was still sketchy AF.) At least I didn't have to write it on my phone while waiting to get towed out of a ditch! At a couple points, that felt like a real possibility.

I was in the same group. I’ve never done any kind of writing competition before. I saw a Facebook ad and thought it might be fun. I’ve no illusions of winning or even advancing. I just don’t have many opportunities for stretching my creative mind and wanted to give it a shot. 
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 10:02am
Originally posted by Mchittenden Mchittenden wrote:

Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

Considering I only started writing around 10, I'm done early. Group 115 (I think?), Action/Adventure, climbing a wall, miss. I wasn't particularly inspired, but I'm bored with A/A. The setting (back to the well of polar exploration) MAY be partially inspired by the weather (we had a winter storm warning Thursday, then during a downgrade to "alert" yesterday I actually had to turn back from driving to work, and today it was touch and go whether my boss would have me leave early as I have the longest drive and was going to have to take a longer way to stay on better-cleared roads, though I ended up being able to stay. The drive was still sketchy AF.) At least I didn't have to write it on my phone while waiting to get towed out of a ditch! At a couple points, that felt like a real possibility.

I was in the same group. I’ve never done any kind of writing competition before. I saw a Facebook ad and thought it might be fun. I’ve no illusions of winning or even advancing. I just don’t have many opportunities for stretching my creative mind and wanted to give it a shot. 

Another group 115-er here. I've got good news for you both - the best my covid-addled brain could come up with was something that would have been a perfectly good flash entry, but needed to be gutted beyond comprehensibility to fit into 250 words. I'm firmly expecting to complete an NYCM grand slam of personal worst performances in 2022.
Mchittenden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mchittenden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 10:27am
I really don’t know what I’m doing. I do a lot of (non-creative) writing for work. I figured I should do some creative writing for fun. I read the winner from last year and was awed by how much was packed into 250 words. 
JamesB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 12:33pm
I'm in G4 and with the same prompt. Struggled. We'll see, right?

Good luck to you!

jb
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stellajaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by mothrasflame mothrasflame wrote:

[QUOTE=Rullawaykid]

I'm group 91 - Fantasy/Fairy Tale; hugging; "image"

(I hope that describing people as "embracing" is enough to meet the hugging prompt... the word "hug" didn't fit with the vibe I was going for.)

Take this with a grain of salt, because I don't know yet how I've done with my other submission in the rhyming story contest that went this route with interpretations of words and themes ... but you could also go with non-traditional uses of the word. Hugging doesn't have to be two people with their arms wrapped around each other. Maybe his tie was hugging his neck just a little too tight ... Her dress could be hugging her curves just right ... the car could be hugging the turns on the road as it races down the road in a high speed chase last night. (sorry, I saw that I unintentionally rhymed the first two and had to make the third one follow suit, just because).
MeghanZeb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeghanZeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 10:19am
I got the prompt ghost story/applying lipstick/splash.

I really had no idea what to write.. and it was terrible, but I almost forgot to do it. I remembered at 7:30pm and started writing it on a writing app on my phone. Surprisingly it came together fairly well and I was happy with it. Guess I do better under pressure. We'll see!
LivStrom View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivStrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Mchittenden Mchittenden wrote:

I really don’t know what I’m doing. I do a lot of (non-creative) writing for work. I figured I should do some creative writing for fun. I read the winner from last year and was awed by how much was packed into 250 words. 

Glad you liked it! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic