NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Final push

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 10:27pm
My assigned genre is political satire (damage control, an insider). I watch and read about politics daily but have never, ever tried to write satire of any type. Ugh. I laugh occasionally, but my stories are usually on the dramatic or dark side. 

I started writing and scrapped three different ideas, discussed them at length with my millennial son last night, but now I'm 1700 words into something completely different than anything we brainstormed. 

I'm calling it a night (time for 2nd glass of wine) and will pick it back up for a rewrite and 2nd draft in the morning. 

Good luck everyone!
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 10:38pm
Yeah, I've pretty much skipped a step and started to loathe my story already.

The basic outline won't change, but I might re-work several parts tomorrow.  Oh, and I need a good ending.  I'll order one from Amazon.

anD a loG linE capitalizeD properlY 
This sig intentionally blank
Reasonably_Crazy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reasonably_Crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 10:40pm
I got Fairy Tale, a genre I have no idea how to write (and has bumped me out of the competition in the past). I find it hard to nail the proper voice for fairy tale.

I brainstormed all of Friday and came up with a story idea I didn't hate. I've pounded out about 1300 words of it over the last four hours or so, and may take a break until after dinner to finish up.

I may... finish my first draft within word count?? It's an auspicious day.

amlewi08 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlewi08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 10:57pm
I'm 1,000 words in.  And I'm super pleased with what I've got, I think? maybe? IDK. It varies by the minute, honestly.  

Hopefully it's out there enough.  Maybe I'm just not creative at all, but I feel like a horror with "career ladder" as the subject can really only go 1 or 2 ways.
ZoeLou View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZoeLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 10:59pm
Really struggling this round, I can't seem to make the words go. So far in these comps I've been lucky enough to land genres that are fairly open-ended (a/a, fantasy, horror etc) but spy is really throwing me - I keep coming up with half-formed ideas for the other two prompts but it just feels so forced when I try to mould those ideas around a spy plot.

Starting to stress me out that 2/3rds of the time is gone and I'm yet to come up with an idea, let alone 2000 words of a story!
SSC R1: The Many Faces of Gemini

All my NYCM work: Author Archive
Heartstart View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heartstart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by ZoeLou ZoeLou wrote:

Really struggling this round, I can't seem to make the words go. So far in these comps I've been lucky enough to land genres that are fairly open-ended (a/a, fantasy, horror etc) but spy is really throwing me - I keep coming up with half-formed ideas for the other two prompts but it just feels so forced when I try to mould those ideas around a spy plot.

Starting to stress me out that 2/3rds of the time is gone and I'm yet to come up with an idea, let alone 2000 words of a story!

Spy is a tough one for sure! If I can offer a tip, it would be to think creatively. Your characters don't necessarily have to be spies in their day job. A couple of years ago, I got 'Spy' for Round 2, and wrote a story about two dinner party guests who snooped around in their host's house for a secret family recipe. It got me through to Round 3. 

Anyway, I'm now up to 1200 words, with just over 24 hours left to go (and as I'm in Australia, and it's after 1pm on Sunday, it's really a lot less time than that, as I have to sleep and go to work tomorrow morning!). 
crez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 11:22pm
First draft finished and only a few hundred words over the limit. Hopefully I won't have to prune the life out of it to get it under 2000. Oh yeah, and hopefully it makes sense. 
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Rita Rita wrote:

My assigned genre is political satire (damage control, an insider). I watch and read about politics daily but have never, ever tried to write satire of any type. Ugh. I laugh occasionally, but my stories are usually on the dramatic or dark side. 

I started writing and scrapped three different ideas, discussed them at length with my millennial son last night, but now I'm 1700 words into something completely different than anything we brainstormed. 

I'm calling it a night (time for 2nd glass of wine) and will pick it back up for a rewrite and 2nd draft in the morning. 

Good luck everyone!

Political satire can absolutely be dark and serious! Both times I've gotten it I wrote very grim cyberpunk stories. Both got me to the next round (in flash fic). Satire here just refers to carrying a certain existing characteristic of our society to hyperbole in order to create commentary and/or criticism.

I hope that helps a bit <3
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
KateHJ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KateHJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 12:33am
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

I can beta, not made into the second so I have the time. I need it in PDF file format though.
suave900@hotmail.com

You're the greatest!! On its way. I'm utterly ambivalent, so be as brutal as you wish. I've never written in this genre before and don't read it, either, so I'm swimming.
KateHJ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KateHJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 12:36am
Originally posted by taaaylor taaaylor wrote:

Originally posted by Rita Rita wrote:

Good luck everyone!

Political satire can absolutely be dark and serious! Both times I've gotten it I wrote very grim cyberpunk stories. Both got me to the next round (in flash fic). Satire here just refers to carrying a certain existing characteristic of our society to hyperbole in order to create commentary and/or criticism.

I hope that helps a bit <3

Hello, group mate! I don't write or watch movies in this genre, so I leaned hard into my strengths - dialogue and character-driven focus. I'm on the fifth draft now and have managed to go 72 words over, so I have a lot of work to do in a few hours. For now, SLEEP.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>