NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

100 Word Round 2: Whadja Get?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbazon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 9:57am
Originally posted by S.a.lefeuvre S.a.lefeuvre wrote:

Originally posted by hmrogers hmrogers wrote:

Ghost story, rolling dice, cry.

Does anyone have thoughts on whether ghost stories can have a humorous twist? That warning to stick to the genres "closely" in the FAQs has me a little nervous.

In their genre description page it says "usually" scary. If your story is obviously about a ghost, then I don't see the harm in taking a slightly different approach to the prompt. It might even help it stand out. I'd run it by a beta reader if you still aren't sure.

I wrote a ghost story, in round one, that was about love.... so yes it's possible. 
Alyxbee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alyxbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 10:02am
Originally posted by lmcollins lmcollins wrote:

second. Romantic comedy, raking leaves and open. It took a while. I am not a mushy person. And to have to do romance and comedy in 100 words????

We aren't supposed to post our story on the forums til we get the confirmation email :o

I would edit it and reupload when that goes out.
MotherOfXenomorphs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MotherOfXenomorphs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 11:14am
I also got rom com in round one. 
AND I got the same group as you for round two. 

I was hoping for a completely different genre to show my range. I’m a little disappointed. :/
Cat Logan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cat Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Talia Talia wrote:

I had group 7- Action/Adventure, hugging, remind

There's just so many ways you can make a hug go down in a story, so I'm hopeful that lots of people from my group will be sharing when the forums open up.  I want to see all the action packed hug scenes possible.

Hahahaha! That is so funny!!!!!

Edited by Cat Logan - 28 Jun 2020 at 3:19pm
Micro: R1H37: FIELD TRIP
Short Story Comp. R2/H29: ALANA & THE HORNED GOD
Short Story Comp. R1/H17: HIGH CRIMES
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Cat Logan Cat Logan wrote:

There's just so many ways you can make a hug go down in a story, so I'm hopeful that lots of people from my group will be sharing when the forums open up.  I want to see all the action packed hug scenes possible.

Oh my gosh, RUN FROM THE BEAR! RUN FROM THE BEAR! 
lmcollins View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lmcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 8:37pm
I did not realize that
Talia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Talia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 1:27am
Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

Originally posted by Cat Logan Cat Logan wrote:

Oh my gosh, RUN FROM THE BEAR! RUN FROM THE BEAR! 

And then does the bear hug you or do you hug another human when you're safe from the bear OR do the bears hug after they've scared you off? 
There's endless hugging possibilities!
R2 G7 (Action/Adventure, hugging, remind) Escaping the Eucalyptus
hanalyst View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanalyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by hmrogers hmrogers wrote:

Ghost story, rolling dice, cry.

Does anyone have thoughts on whether ghost stories can have a humorous twist? That warning to stick to the genres "closely" in the FAQs has me a little nervous.

This is of no use to you this round anymore (sorry), but as long as there's a legitimate ghost, the judges seem to enjoy adding a little extra genre-interest. Same goes for most genres, you just need the assigned one to be primary.

My last ghost story wasn't scary at all.
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 1:53pm

And then does the bear hug you or do you hug another human when you're safe from the bear OR do the bears hug after they've scared you off? 
There's endless hugging possibilities!

HA HA! Exactly! That'll be a fun heat to read the stories in!! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
  Share Topic