NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 10 Terms That Should Not Be In Your Screenplay!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10 Terms That Should Not Be In Your Screenplay!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10 Terms That Should Not Be In Your Screenplay!
    Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 4:31pm
They seek him here, they seek him there, those damned writers seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven or is he in hell, that damned elusive Scarlet Screenwriter! (Oh, phuck, that doesn't even rhyme!)
Sponsored Links

bleustick View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bleustick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 4:55pm
Huh! That is really interesting. My husband is an amateur screenwriter and filmmaker. He is primarily a director, but writes most of his own stuff at this point. However, that means he writes direction into his screenplays pretty routinely. I haven't even considered attempting either of the screenplay challenges on here (am in final round for FFC 2018 right now, and signed up for SSC 2019 coming up) because I felt like it was this whole different territory into which I've never ventured. I've been reading for the #ScreenplayADay challenge for Screenwriting Magazine (on FB & Twitter) to help give me a bit in the editing and clean-up I do on my husband's scripts, which has been interesting. But this article gives me a whole different perspective I hadn't considered. The screenplays posted by Screenwriting Magazine have been all over the place--different genres, different decades (Bridesmaids one day, Raiders of the Lost Ark the next, for example), different stages (rough drafts, final shooting scripts, post-production transcripts). But most have included many of the things against which this article warns. Not all, though!

Definitely something I will avoid if I feel spicy enough to attempt a screenplay at some point.
FFC CH4: Nothing But Flowers (Open)
FFC CH3: Just Us Flower Eaters (Com)
FFC CH2: Flowers Grew Through Them (Mys)
FFC CH1: No Room For Flowers (Pol Sat)
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 6:27pm

Maybe you should avoid flowers! I've never seen a theme flow through four flash fictions before.  

Is the SCREENPLAY A DAY exercise reading a screenplay every day?  That is terrific!  Many years ago, a screenwriting mentor suggested reading 50 screenplays before writing one ... some hits, some misses, some classics, some obscure and some you hadn't seen.  Learning by osmosis ... great advice.

There are a few more things I always avoid or put at the forefront that aren't included in that article ... I avoid ANYTHING that the audience can't see or hear ... I minimise dialogue ... I avoid exposition LIKE THE PLAGUE ... be careful not to scare off directors with camera directions or producers with expensive sets and costumes ... not kidding! ...

They seek him here, they seek him there, those damned writers seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven or is he in hell, that damned elusive Scarlet Screenwriter! (Oh, phuck, that doesn't even rhyme!)
bleustick View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bleustick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 2:22am
Haha, ah, yeah. The flowers subtheme was an accident initially, just a coincidence between my first two rounds. Then it became an inside joke, and I carried it through the other rounds, for kicks. And yes, reading a screenplay a day. It has been really interesting. They've posted The Godfather, Logan, Trumbo, Scrooged, Fight Club, Shakespeare In Love... to name a few.
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 2:41am
Originally posted by bleustick bleustick wrote:

Haha, ah, yeah. The flowers subtheme was an accident initially, just a coincidence between my first two rounds. Then it became an inside joke, and I carried it through the other rounds, for kicks. And yes, reading a screenplay a day. It has been really interesting. They've posted The Godfather, Logan, Trumbo, Scrooged, Fight Club, Shakespeare In Love... to name a few.
Don't just read the good ones ... read the flops and stinkers, as well.  You really never can tell ... I had a small part in a movie that ended up being nominated for best screenplay ... and movie and actor ... and when I first read it, I thought it was disease of the week!  Read the screenplay of a movie you haven't seen and then watch it straight away ... that can be an eye opener ...

Edited by Scarlet Screenwriter - 28 Dec 2018 at 8:59pm
scottdcon View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottdcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 5:32am
This couldn't be more true. I read the screenplay for Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them and thought it was weak, boring and bland. Although the movie isn't my cup of tea I could see quite rapidly that my interpretation of the screenplay was completely different to the director's. Same goes for American history. I wasn't that impressed by the screenplay but the movie blew my mind. 
CH2 MADNESS ON PATROL -10pts
CH1 DOG-EAT-DOG WORLD -15pts
bleustick View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bleustick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Scarlet Screenwriter Scarlet Screenwriter wrote:

Don't just read the good ones ... red the flops and stinkers, as well.  You really never can tell ... I had a small part in a movie that ended up being nominated for best screenplay ... and movie and actor ... and when I first read it, I thought it was disease of the week!  Read the screenplay of a movie you haven't seen and then watch it straight away ... that can be an eye opener ... 

Confused
Oh god, indeed. I've read everything they have posted so far for the challenge, and some are so bad. Flight (with Denzel Washington) was the worst. Not a fan of Shakespeare In Love either, or Bourne Identity. My favorite has been Trumbo, which was a gorgeous screenplay. I insisted on watching it for the first time w my husband that night and... it's weird. It was a fine movie with great actors. But it wasn't what I had pictured while reading the script. Naive I know, but I hadn't realized how differently someone can interpret a descriptive final shooting script. 

Edited by bleustick - 28 Dec 2018 at 9:42am
Troywat_0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Troywat_0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 7:38am
I find this reminding about LOTR screenplay that has many lacks of coincidence. Few scenes were missed away, because it had already taken a big part of the time. What about inside information? One of the background screenwriters written an article(here https://uk.edubirdie.com/buy-essay) about actors' ideas to add canonical book scenes. I think Jackson did miss a lot in the movie.
Marc_Beard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marc_Beard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 7:40am
Originally posted by Troywat_0 Troywat_0 wrote:

I find this reminding about LOTR screenplay that has many lacks of coincidence. Few scenes were missed away, because it had already taken a big part of the time. What about inside information? One of the background screenwriters written an article(here https://uk.edubirdie.com/buy-essay) about actors' ideas to add canonical book scenes. I think Jackson did miss a lot in the movie.

Yes, Jackson dropped too many stories from the screenplay.
DBA Lehane View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBA Lehane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 5:49am
FADE IN

From reading screenplays regularly now the one thing I've come to see is there are no rules ultimately. The best writers have their own style, do their own thing and to hell with what others say.

A director is never going to see a spec script anyway. If the writing is good enough any script will get away with direction, exposition, etc.

FADE TO BLACK.

FIN.
FFC15 4th placed finalist / SSC14 & SSC16 finalist
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic