NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your fav stories!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vlad_the_impala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your fav stories!
    Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 6:41pm
Ok. So over 2500 entrants means one heck of a lot of stories from R1 of Flash Fiction 17.

But help us out here. Outside of our own groups, (or even inside) what are your favourite and recommend entries? Nailed the genre? Found the definitive Political Satire? Or worthy of a mention, just for Dennis Rodman levels of batsh*t craziness?

What's your inner literary critic recommending this round?
Read my 1st Round story titled Of iron dreams and copper echoes
Alex_Ben View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex_Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 6:49pm
Not sure if this is a brilliant idea for a thread, or just cruel. Time will tell...
FFC 2017 CH 3: In Or Out: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/ch-3-gr-13-in-or-out_topic16374.html
vlad_the_impala View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vlad_the_impala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 7:24pm
Haha. You're right. Me either! I just know that a lot of good stories inevitably get left at the bottom of the stack, now we're a bigger community than ever.

For me, it's the why I'm interested in. I just wanted a place where any entry could be highlighted for a bit.
Read my 1st Round story titled Of iron dreams and copper echoes
Joni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 7:43pm
This is a good idea! I've been just randomly picking based on title or genre lol.

So far, the two that really stand out to me are:

The Ride of Your Life - really accomplishes suspense and was a fun read.

Cleanup on Aisle 10 - horror and a supermarket done really well, IMO.
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 8:50pm
There are far too many. I haven't read one dud (because none of us write duds, natch).

I don't want to go up against any of you in the next challenge! Eek! Haha. In all seriousness, some great stories out here. Dang. Kudos, everyone!

Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 9:05pm
It's not a bad idea, actually, but I'd divert its ultimate goal. Not so much "your fav stories", but more something like "stories you'd recommend reading." Potayto potahto, I know, but it sounds at least a little less skewed this way.

For example, I could very much recommend giving miss Vernacula's story, Cirque du Fae, a read. And I do. Many, many things done right as far as building a semi-realistic fantasy world goes.

Also, give On the Line, by Rossinny, a read. A great example of bringing sports to paper and build a drama around it that is not focused on the sport.

Cheers folks!
JustinSiebert View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinSiebert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 9:21pm
I've read several cool stories, but this has been my favorite so far (besides my own story, of course, haha!): http://forums.nycmidnight.com/challenge-1-heat-29-extenuating-circumstances_topic14996.html

It's a romance, definitely not a genre I'm normally into, but done so well that I was pretty floored and the end.
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 9:21pm
I am spoiled by your praise, Zblugg. Thank you for the rec!
Schrifty View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Schrifty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 9:31pm
Just a note: this is my third year writing/reading the FFC stories and I have to say, I'm really impressed all around.  The contestants this year are off the chart in terms of quality, there's not one story I've read yet that I wouldn't recommend.

I know this is a little bit of a cop out, but really I just wanted to congratulate everyone on stepping up to the challenge.  I'd hate to be the judges this year, too many good picks to choose from!
catrad View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 12:13am
Agree with Shrifty- this year has set the bar so high!  I read a few and my first impression was that the competition is stiff this year.  And it's not just a matter of the more seasoned writers being quick to post, because several newbies are already shining.  Too early for me to pick favorites, but an overall well done!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>