NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Writing Music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShadowBeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 12:43am
Originally posted by shanan187 shanan187 wrote:

Originally posted by ShadowBeast ShadowBeast wrote:

Originally posted by shanan187 shanan187 wrote:

Fun story.... when I was working on novel #1, I had a playlist named after my male main character... it was, of course, songs that fit his personality and his motives. Suffice to say he grew a lot as a person throughout the story. Well, shortly after book 1 was finished and up for sale and such, I started working on book 2. The Monday after I started, I pulled up my Harmon playlist and several of the songs had changed. New ones added, some no longer there. I swear I never touched it... and the new songs fit perfectly.

LOL! Your character was telling you something. Isn't that like when you have a scene planned out but the character hijacks it mid-writing? LOL

Yes... and Harmon was chief scene hijacker. I would, out loud, be like, "Really?!!"

I know the feeling. Had a few scenes where I had my plan and then a character basically said, "Hold my beer." Confused Ah, well ... ok so that's how you wanna do it. LOL
R1A tightly packed parcel of contents that leave you wanting--which a publisher told me made her editing day. Suck it judges!
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 1:12am
Originally posted by localhomiesexual localhomiesexual wrote:

Tried a listen for Tangerine Dream; wow, I can definitely feel a mix of psychedelia and German electronic! Haven't heard much German electronic besides Kraftwerk (I love their Tour de France promo) so this was cool.

TD was a seminal band of the German electronic movement, originally formed in '67. They are considered to be among the pioneers of kosmische, and Eddie Froese was basically doing sequencer stuff before it was formally invented. IMDB lists them as the artist for 3 dozen soundtracks (from Risky Business to Firestarter to the German TV Hit "Tatort"), and composer for nearly 4 dozen (including Grand Theft Auto V).

You may have herd more of their stuff than you realize. ;)
pedrothefish View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedrothefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 3:34am
My 20 year old son is a muso who has dabbled in acoustic pop/very heavy metal and currently is doing rap/hip hop stuff. The metal band used to rehearse at my place and I soon got used to writing with the windows rattling and the toilet trying to tear itself off its moorings. I've had to re-attach bits of the house on several occasions.

But how cool is this:
The first thing I ever wrote (since school) was a 500 page novel about 5 years ago-coz no point mucking around, right? I'm not claiming its anything amazing but I self published it in all its raw craziness and it felt damn good.
 Riley, 14 or 15 years old, a self taught guitarist for a year and a bit at that point, read it. One day soon after he wanders in and loads a CD into the player. I listen to this awesome 7 1/2 minute instrumental while he grins at me. He tells me its the intro song for the soundtrack when they make my book a movie. The layered guitars, drums, mixing, production-all done by him in his bedroom! My face must have said bullsh*t because he goes gets his Jackson Flying V, sits down, and plays it for me.
Simply one of the most incredible things in my entire life.
I cried like a busted hydrant.

Edited by pedrothefish - 20 Sep 2017 at 5:11pm
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 9:11am
Originally posted by pedrothefish pedrothefish wrote:

Riley, 14 or 15 years old, a self taught guitarist for a year and a bit at that point, read it. One day soon after he wanders in and loads a CD into the player. I listen to this awesome 7 1/2 minute instrumental while he grins at me. He tells me its the intro song for the soundtrack when they make my book a movie. The layered guitars, drums, mixing, production-all done by him in his bedroom! My face must have said bullsh*t because he goes gets his Flying V Ibanez, sits down, and plays it for me.
Simply one of the most incredible things in my entire life.
I cried like a busted hydrant.

that is awesome
Tonatale View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonatale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Shadies01 Shadies01 wrote:

I need quiet these days. As I get older, I seem to lose the ability to relegate anything to a background level. It’s a real pain in the ass, to be honest.

I'm the same way unfortunately. Anything I hear will distract me. If the kids or wife are watching TV, I'll find myself watching it too or listening to it even if I can only hear it.

Most of my novel-writing, I've done with earphones in and youtube videos of hours of white noise. I use white noise to help block out all the background sounds so I don't get distracted.

These days, I can hardly even read if the same room with a TV on. Getting older sucks.
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Tonatale Tonatale wrote:

Originally posted by Shadies01 Shadies01 wrote:

I need quiet these days. As I get older, I seem to lose the ability to relegate anything to a background level. It’s a real pain in the ass, to be honest.

I'm the same way unfortunately. Anything I hear will distract me. 

I live sort of in the city, not quite down town but within a few blocks (if you can call 42K people a "city"). I am right on the sidewalk with people coming and going. I find, in order to focus, I need to have something playing to drown out the sidewalk noise. 

Usually I go for instrumental or foreign language operas (in languages I don't speak) so that I do not get distracted singing along. I'll try to choose something that feels like the genre I'm writing. For example during all those ghost story sessions it was Midnight Syndicate and Holst's - The Planets.
Bookworm33 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Bookworm33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 10:48am
I highly recommend a site called Ambient Mixer, if you're a fan of background/white noise while you write! I've found that sound effects like thunderstorms or trains (or even the ambient noises of the Startship Enterprise bridge) really help me concentrate when I'm working. Ambient Mixer lets you choose your own sound effects at exactly the levels you want. They have some great themed trackss too, from Sherlock, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings...I've become quite addicted to using it!
https://www.ambient-mixer.com/

I do love instrumental music as well...movie soundtracks are my favorite: "Somewhere in Time," everything from the LOTR and Chronicles of Narnia films, and anything by Hans Zimmer are my go-tos.
SSC R1: Hard Lessons
AndrewShootsScores View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndrewShootsScores Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Bookworm33 Bookworm33 wrote:

I highly recommend a site called Ambient Mixer, if you're a fan of background/white noise while you write! I've found that sound effects like thunderstorms or trains (or even the ambient noises of the Startship Enterprise bridge) really help me concentrate when I'm working. Ambient Mixer lets you choose your own sound effects at exactly the levels you want. They have some great themed trackss too, from Sherlock, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings...I've become quite addicted to using it!

I do love instrumental music as well...movie soundtracks are my favorite: "Somewhere in Time," everything from the LOTR and Chronicles of Narnia films, and anything by Hans Zimmer are my go-tos.

OMG... you just opened up a giant wormhole into which I gladly jumped! How did I not know this existed?!? New favorite thing!!

Edited by AndrewShootsScores - 20 Sep 2017 at 11:16am
News You Can Use (2022 FFC / R2 / suspense)
All NYCM Stories
Tonatale View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tonatale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 11:37am

I'm torn between thanking you for making me aware of this awesome site or being upset that messing around to get the perfect ambient will now cause me to be more distracted and procrastinate more.
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 12:03pm

LOVE that site - double <3s for the fact that they license it CC so you can reuse it :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>