NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Writing Groups

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SakuraHime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Writing Groups
    Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 11:06pm
Hey all!
So I am new to sharing my writing and really just starting to enter the writing community since I joined this challenge. I saw several of you mention writing groups in other posts and I was hoping that some of you could give me a bit of guidance on where/how to find such groups :) 

Any help is greatly appreciated!Big smile
2017 SSC R1 H57: Apophenia (5th)
2017 SSC R2 H13: Something in the Water
Josh View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 11:16pm
If you are on Facebook - I am a member of one formed from the Flash Fiction competition just passed. You can contact me and we can chat about it :) 

Edited by Josh - 28 Mar 2017 at 11:45pm
R1H68 1st Heritage
R2H16 Bored To Death
patsy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 9:06am
I get info on several local ones from this site: 

Might be worth a look if you want a face-to-face.
milesmum View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 12:52pm
I started one here in the Bay Area back in 2004 and it's still going strong. I simply advertised on craigslist and asked people for a sample of their writing and a paragraph or two about their understanding of, and experience, with literary critique.
ABC View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 2:27pm
Have you been on Scribophile? I really love it and have received invaluable critiques for some of my stories (not to mention how much it helps to critique the work of others!) It's definitely worth checking out :-)
SakuraHime View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SakuraHime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by ABC ABC wrote:

Have you been on Scribophile? I really love it and have received invaluable critiques for some of my stories (not to mention how much it helps to critique the work of others!) It's definitely worth checking out :-)

I haven't! I will have to check that out!
2017 SSC R1 H57: Apophenia (5th)
2017 SSC R2 H13: Something in the Water
Josh View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by ABC ABC wrote:

I was a very active member of a similar site way back when called Urbis - it was a fantastic experience for me at that phase of my writing growth. I am a member of this site mentioned but have not used it. I will look into it again. 
R1H68 1st Heritage
R2H16 Bored To Death
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 4:26pm
I have a beta reading group on Facebook, with an emphasis on feedback turned around quickly. I started it after I was in Screenplay finals and couldn't find betas. You're welcome to PM for info!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic