NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What's a rough average to advance to FF round 3?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's a rough average to advance to FF round 3?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogmafrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's a rough average to advance to FF round 3?
    Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:44am
I know it's gotta vary a bit, but is there a rough average for the minimum advance score? I can't imagine most folks blaze through with 30 or 29. I figure it's prob more like 22 or so? But this is my first one, curious if there are stats.

Edited by Dogmafrog - 14 Sep 2017 at 1:45am
MattrickBT View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattrickBT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:46am
I'd say 16 for minimum advance score (this is my first time) but that accounts for two 8 scores. I imagine the average advancing score is around 21.

Edited by MattrickBT - 14 Sep 2017 at 1:49am
rossinny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote rossinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:54am
I think the average score for advancing last year was 18. Nixie is your man for the stats - have a look at the "what if I get a zero" thread, I think it's all in there somewhere.
Ch 2 Flash The Sign

Ch 1 Flash An Eye for an Eye (15pts)
Liz M View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:55am
People have advanced on 15. It depends on your group.
C1G36'Madam's Last Dance'

http://bit.ly/2timAap

C2G36 'A Right to Laugh'

http://bit.ly/2fkiX
rossinny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote rossinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:58am
Originally posted by rossinny rossinny wrote:

I think the average score for advancing last year was 18. Nixie is your man for the stats - have a look at the "what if I get a zero" thread, I think it's all in there somewhere.

I just found it. All credit goes to Nixie for these great stats. I was wrong in that 18 is not the average score for advancing but rather the average minimum score for advancing, slightly different.

The minimum score it took to move forward to Round 2 last year was

14 points in 2 of the groups (3%)
15 points in 6 of the groups (10%)
16 points in 7 of the groups (12%)
17 points in 6 of the groups (10%)
18 points in 10 of the groups (17%)
19 points in 14 of the groups (23%)
20 points in 4 of the groups (7%)
21 points in 6 of the groups (10%)
22 points in 3 of the groups (5%)
23 points in 2 of the groups (3%)
Ch 2 Flash The Sign

DBA Lehane View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBA Lehane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:59am
There's always 30 points advancers each year. They tend to outnumber 15 points advancers (you may get 1 0f those per year). I think someone years ago worked out that a combined scored of 23 is a pretty good bet to advance.
FFC 2015 4th Placed Finaist | SSC 2014 + 2016 Finalist
Lord Xoon View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Xoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 9:19am

I'm trying to figure out how that's even possible.  11 points is top 5, so if you got that for both heats, you'd think it would be impossible not to be in at 22.

I guess that's why I write instead of handle statistics.

Edited by Lord Xoon - 14 Sep 2017 at 9:20am
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 9:42am
There is no such thing. NYCM is graded on a curve.  The score to advance is "better than 85% of the other people in your group."

One can show 'what scores it took in round x of contest y' but those numbers are different for every contest and round.  The scores someone quoted above are fairly representative, but that mix changes every time. The only thing that can be said with any certainty is that you will need at least 13 points: if everyone who scores in round one fails to score in round 2, you will have 2 15s, 2 14s, 2 13s  - that's 6 people. Only five advance.  If any of those people score twice, the numbers only go up. 

So - there is no 'average' when grading on a curve. statistical means vary depending on whether the writers who score well are repeat offenders or just have a good round. but you cannot advance with a score of less than 13 overall from both rounds. 

Also - I got tired of looking that spreadsheet up and re-linking it.  There is a thread called 'historical scores' whose only purpose, as far as i am concerned, is to make it easy to search for "scores' and find the stupid link. :)

Edited by nixie - 14 Sep 2017 at 9:46am
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Lord Xoon Lord Xoon wrote:

I'm trying to figure out how that's even possible.  11 points is top 5, so if you got that for both heats, you'd think it would be impossible not to be in at 22.

because it doesnt account for the way that scores combine

15 + 10 = 35
13 + 12 = 25
14 + 11 = 25
12 + 15 = 27
11 + 14 = 25
10 + 13 = 23

and there you have a set of results in which  the person who had 23 points across 2 rounds can't advance because they needed 25 to beat out the rest of their groups

basically, the fallacy is that there is 'a number' - when the contest is graded on a curve. .
rossinny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Lord Xoon Lord Xoon wrote:

Ah, it's the scores below 11 in this scenario that can lead to lots of combinations that could top 22 e.g. 13+10, 14+9, 15+8 etc.  I think the maximum you could get and potentially not go through is 24, but you'd have to be VERY unlucky.
Ch 2 Flash The Sign

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic