NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What if you get a zero?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 hours 34 minutes ago at 8:56pm
Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

Originally posted by Joni Joni wrote:

I am fully prepared for low or no points on this round, and am so glad to have found this thread. I would participate in round 2 even if there was no hope of going forward with a 0 on first round, because it has been fun and challenging and a really cool experience. But, it is nice to know that, even though difficult, it's not impossible to come back strong enough in the 2nd round to potentially move forward. Thanks for the stats, Nixie! 

No matter what the scores are you will, guaranteed, write two stories you would not have written otherwise, and have them beta read by people who understand what goes into writing and can help you plan for how to revise those two for submission. 

You won't find many $50 writer's workshops where that is true. Net win, every time.

If you move on - you get some extra stories, too!  And many folks who don't move on to a later round pick a group and write the prompts on contest weekend anyway  - while they don't get the judges, they do get a story. :)  

Just. Keep. Writing!

Yup! Found a great group of "renegades" in the Short Story Comp this year when I didn't advance. We had a wonderful time and I came out of it with a story I really was happy with, one I might consider for publication at some point in time. And I got to connect with some really cool writer friends!

So yes. 100% what Nixie said. This is a tremendous writers' workshop and it really makes you put life aside at least for a little while...and just write. :) 
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 hours 17 minutes ago at 11:13pm
Originally posted by Splinker Splinker wrote:

On an unrelated topic, what if you score a one?

Then you realize you're above the other half, the peons, and you get to "comfort them" on the forums, while secretly plotting to overtake all those avove you. It's the best outcome, really. You're much like Game of Thrones' eunuchs...

I kid, of course...

Actually, getting a 1 is good, because if you get a 15 in the second challenge, that 16 total is a guaranteed ticket to C3.
FFC C1a Hooked
Lookit There View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Lookit There Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9 hours 59 minutes ago at 11:31pm
Originally posted by rossinny rossinny wrote:

Originally posted by Lookit There Lookit There wrote:

Hate to spoil the party, but not all contestants advanced. I scored the fat 0 in Challenge 1, and 15 in Challenge 2, but did not advance - I was three points shy of the lowest-scoring person who did.

That must have been incredibly frustrating - first out of your entire group and still not through. Mind you, I think it would be even worse the other way around (15 in the first challenge, 0 in the second) as surely you'd be expecting to get through.

Just out of interest, can you put your finger on the reason? Did you hate your prompts / genre in the first challenge and love them in the second?
The genre was Political Satire, which...ugh. I hope I never get it again (literally knocking wood right now).  I won't claim my story was brilliant satire. I really struggled - and I'll also cop to slightly forcing the story to fit the genre. But, honestly, one of the judges was...let's just say, I feel like if you have to ask me in your feedback, "where was your story taking place?" (not kidding), then you may want to reconsider your decision to critique fiction. I wanted to write back and say, "My story was taking place in the setting assigned in the challenge (a nuclear power plant). The setting I mentioned no less than three times in the course of the story. The setting about whose safety THE TWO MAIN CHARACTERS HAD AN ENTIRE DISCUSSION." 
<ahem> Not that I'm bitter.
And my second challenge genre was drama, which is my genre of choice, so, yeah, maybe that helped.

Edited by Lookit There - 9 hours 56 minutes ago at 11:34pm
rossinny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6 hours 35 minutes ago at 2:55am
Originally posted by Zblugg Zblugg wrote:

Actually, getting a 1 is good, because if you get a 15 in the second challenge, that 16 total is a guaranteed ticket to C3.

Sadly not - I think you could score as high as 24 and still not get through if you were very unlucky. Basically if you score low in the first challenge, you don't want all the same group of high scoring writers from challenge one scoring high again in the second challenge as that would give you no chance. I guess there is usually a bit of a spread as people respond better to different prompts, as per the post above.

This is Nixie's cue for some beautiful stats :-)
Round 1 flash fictionAn Eye for an Eye
rossinny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6 hours 33 minutes ago at 2:57am
Lookit - yeah I would struggle with political satire too I think. Still though, massive kudos for top-scoring in the second challenge.
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 34 minutes ago at 7:56am

"Your wish is my command...."

The minimum score it took to move forward to Round 2 last year was

14 points in 2 of the groups (3%)
15 points in 6 of the groups (10%)
16 points in 7 of the groups (12%)
17 points in 6 of the groups (10%)
18 points in 10 of the groups (17%)
19 points in 14 of the groups (23%)
20 points in 4 of the groups (7%)
21 points in 6 of the groups (10%)
22 points in 3 of the groups (5%)
23 points in 2 of the groups (3%)

(which means there were only 8 groups in which those 6 people with a 0, and then a 14 or 15, could possibly have moved forward.  And that Lookit was in one of the *other* 54 groups, along with those 2 dozen poor SOBs who were just unlucky enough to be in group where 5 people scored an average of 8 - 12 pts on BOTH of their stories)

Edited by nixie - 1 hour 30 minutes ago at 8:00am
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 14 minutes ago at 8:16am

(which means there were only 8 groups in which those 6 people with a 0, and then a 14 or 15, could possibly have moved forward.  And that Lookit was in one of the *other* 54 groups, along with those 2 dozen poor SOBs who were just unlucky enough to be in group where 5 people scored an average of 8 - 12 pts on BOTH of their stories)

Wait, I think I might've been mistaken. How many people move on from each group? Is it the top 5 only? In this case, I was indeed wrong in my assumption. 

Also, Nixie, you scare me with your numbers skillz... LOL
FFC C1a Hooked
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 8 minutes ago at 8:22am
Yeah, top 5. Sorry. Dang. It appears my whole conception of this competition, nay, of the WORLD, was erring on the side of nope...
FFC C1a Hooked
rossinny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 54 minutes ago at 8:36am

I knew you'd come up with the goods :-)  Thank you!

So on average, you need 18 to progress. Scoring in the 20s and not progressing has GOT to hurt...
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 48 minutes ago at 8:42am

I knew you'd come up with the goods :-)  Thank you!

So on average, you need 18 to progress. Scoring in the 20s and not progressing has GOT to hurt...

Hell. It must be terrible...

But that's the human adventure, isn't it? 
FFC C1a Hooked
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic