NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What if you get a zero?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 8:32am
Originally posted by tcFlash tcFlash wrote:

I've learned to accept zeros. I've had lots of practice. In fact, last year I began a tradition of predicting WHY I will get a zero. This year, the judges will once again reference the dreaded, "unbelievable" when they comment on my story. When that happens, zeros follow. 

In spite of this, I will be back for the second half of round one.

lolyep.  after last year's feedbacking trends - I predict the judges will think I needed to "up the stakes."...
tcFlash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 8:53am
Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

I've learned to accept zeros. I've had lots of practice. In fact, last year I began a tradition of predicting WHY I will get a zero. This year, the judges will once again reference the dreaded, "unbelievable" when they comment on my story. When that happens, zeros follow. 

In spite of this, I will be back for the second half of round one.

lolyep.  after last year's feedbacking trends - I predict the judges will think I needed to "up the stakes."...

I'll admit, I have not read your story yet. I usually save the old-timers for later. But things have slowed down in the forum now, so I'll go see how you could "up the stakes." 
Splinker View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Splinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 9:34am
"You need to use verbs!"

How is that kind of critique helpful?
Judges. Go figure.
Splinker
https://1drv.ms/w/s!ArBspawnlI8yo1H2Ki5_xuZg-K0v?e=x2mixn
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 10:11am

I'll admit, I have not read your story yet. I usually save the old-timers for later. But things have slowed down in the forum now, so I'll go see how you could "up the stakes." 

:) thanks for the read. Coincidentally, my story for this round does in fact have a subtler tension, and there were opportunities to kick it up a notch. But in this thread - I am mostly being snarky about the dozen or so people I know - some of then with very tight, edge of your seat stories - who got that feedback from a particular judge who apparently had selected it as their stock phrase... ;)
Shadies01 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadies01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 11:26am

:) thanks for the read. Coincidentally, my story for this round does in fact have a subtler tension, and there were opportunities to kick it up a notch. But in this thread - I am mostly being snarky about the dozen or so people I know - some of then with very tight, edge of your seat stories - who got that feedback from a particular judge who apparently had selected it as their stock phrase... ;)

I've had that judge! :)  
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Shadies01 Shadies01 wrote:

I've had that judge! :)  

Yep, me too. A few times now.
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 12:54pm
lol he hit darn near every person I know, last FFC LOL
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 4:56pm
Next year's potential movie theme, not positive yet, just potential at this point, will be "THE JUDGES" so please send me, in a PM, ludicrous remarks judges have made to you.  

If you are a first timer, keep this in mind as you read your feedback.  YOU MIGHT GO DOWN IN HISTORY! 

Edited by sootfoot5 - 15 Aug 2017 at 4:56pm
Lookit There View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lookit There Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 12:05am

Last year, 3 people who scored 0 in challenge 1 scored 14 or 15 in challenge 2. Likewise, 3 people who scored 14 or 15 in challenge 1 scored 0 in challenge 2. All 6 contestants moved forward to Round 2. 

1 of those contestants received an honorable mention in Round 2. 1 moved forward to the final round and received an honorable mention for the contest overall.
Hate to spoil the party, but not all contestants advanced. I scored the fat 0 in Challenge 1, and 15 in Challenge 2, but did not advance - I was three points shy of the lowest-scoring person who did.
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 1:30am
Originally posted by Lookit There Lookit There wrote:

Last year, 3 people who scored 0 in challenge 1 scored 14 or 15 in challenge 2. Likewise, 3 people who scored 14 or 15 in challenge 1 scored 0 in challenge 2. All 6 contestants moved forward to Round 2. 

1 of those contestants received an honorable mention in Round 2. 1 moved forward to the final round and received an honorable mention for the contest overall.
Hate to spoil the party, but not all contestants advanced. I scored the fat 0 in Challenge 1, and 15 in Challenge 2, but did not advance - I was three points shy of the lowest-scoring person who did.

The 6 to whom I referred were:

Yeagley

Ellaree

Decatur

GA

Heath

Mallory

Gilbert

AZ

Mazur

Marie

Canton

MI

Gold

Nicolas

Martinez

CA

Kilkerr

Justine

Brighton

Lane

Jasmine

Austin

TX

There were 27 people, in total, who scored a 0 in challenge 1 and a 14 or 15 in challenge 2.  But since my point was to show that even scoring a zero does not end your chances, the 20+% of those that did advance to round two were the relevant portion of the list (i should have been more specific in my wording). :)

(BTW, it was Jasmine Lane who continued to the final round and earned an Honorable Mention for the contest overall)

Edited by nixie - 16 Aug 2017 at 1:30am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>