NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What genre did you get for each round?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What genre did you get for each round?
    Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 12:31pm

First of all I want to say I have never been more proud of 1 point in my life!  This is the first time I've ever done anything with my writing and I completely expected a 0 for the first go round.

For the first round I was given Suspense, but when I received Horror for the second round I was very disappointed.  I feel these genres are too similar.   I guess I was mainly disappointed in myself for not letting myself think outside of the box enough because I was afraid I would scare myself too much.  I avoid "scary" as much as I can.  I have to leave a light on at night if I "accidentally" see a preview of a scary movie.  Just the music gives me the creeps!

mhelgens View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhelgens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by GoldieLamar GoldieLamar wrote:

I have to leave a light on at night if I "accidentally" see a preview of a scary movie.  Just the music gives me the creeps!

SAME. And I also got horror for this round. Oddly enough I think I did far better with this genre than I did with drama. I was channeling my boy, Stephen King. I love his writing but have stuck to his less creepy pieces like The Green Mile and On Writing. Misery was my transition into the horror genre because it was only kind of scary, but then I started reading The Shining, and after about half of the book, there it sits on my shelf. But downstairs... away from my bedroom. I was scared to shower after reading that book it was that scary. Yikes! But I do hope to pick it up again someday. I think I was meant to read it, just so I had some sort of inspiration for this challenge. LOL
Read my R1 Story: LINK= https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic51959_post550543.html#550543
Schrifty View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schrifty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 1:00pm
This is my third year participating in NYC (3 FFCs, 1 SSC) and I've gotten the following: Drama, Mystery (which is VERY difficult in under 1k), Mystery, Ghost, Open (sci fi for me!), Ghost, Mystery, Sci Fi, Suspense, Historical Fiction.

I feel you on getting similar genres, but honestly I feel like I'm a lot better at mysteries and Ghost stories now that I've gotten them a few times and have the opportunity to improve.  I was actually hoping for ghost this last time around just because I'm familiar enough with it at this point I can write it quickly without spending a lot of time researching its tropes.
csderuyter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote csderuyter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 1:07pm
Schrifty, we must have started with the same competition (FF in 2015.) I've done three FFCs now and 2 SSCs. 

I've gotten:
2015 FFC: Fantasy, Comedy
2016 SSC: Sci Fi, RomCom, Open (final round)
2016 FFC: Thriller, Fantasy
2017 SSC: Fairy Tale
2017 FFC: RomCom (although I sat out the first challenge so I didn't actually write anything...), Mystery

I'd love to get horror or ghost as an assigned genre one of these times. 
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 1:07pm
For Flash 2017, I got RomCom and Ghost Story. (Challenging, but fun)

For Screenwriting 2017, I got Fantasy. (Absolute torture)

For Short Story 2017, I got Suspense and Horror. (Yes please)

For Screenwriting 2016, I got Horror. (Such a blast)

For Short Story 2016, I got Fairy Tale. (Also torture...and I'm glad that I didn't get discouraged during my first NYCM contest...now I am addicted!)
#amrevising
angelagilbert View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelagilbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 1:25pm
SSC 2017   Ghost Story  (didn't place, even though I loved my story) . Ermm
FFC 2017 #1 Action / Adventure (13 points)
FFC 2017 #2 Historical Fiction

There are some genres I'm terrified of that I haven't had yet, so I'm excited to see what comes in future challenges. 

MegOverman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MegOverman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 1:27pm
FFC2014 - R1 Horror, R2 Fairytale, R3 Horror, R4 Open

FFC2015 - R1 RomCom, R2 Sci-fi, R3 RomCom

FFC2016 - R1 HistFic, R2 Comedy, R3 RomCom

FFC2017 - R1 HistFic, R2 Suspense

I do long for the genres of 2014. LOL
Have a glass of wine and take it like a writer.

R1 - A Waste of Stars (Drama)
djkfdm View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djkfdm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 1:38pm
Since this is only my 2nd year in FFC, I haven't had any duplicate genres. However, I'm learning what genres I suck at or don't like.

2016: Horror (don't read or watch it so I was clueless, yet I somehow creeped myself out with the story) and Mystery (my favorite and yet struggled)

2017: Fairy Tale (biggest challenge was using a plunger) and Ghost Story (don't ever want to have this one again)

I do believe I am hooked on this competition, though. Already planning on doing it again for a third time next year.
2107 FF Challenge #1: A FOOL'S COURAGE
2017 FF Challenge #2: HAUNTED LOVE
Lookit There View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lookit There Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 1:40pm
SSC 2014: Action/Adventure; Horror
FFC 2015: Ghost Story; Sci-Fi; Comedy; Open (chose Drama - came in 10th overall)
FFC 2016: Political Satire; Drama
FFC 2017: Suspense; Drama
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by djkfdm djkfdm wrote:

Since this is only my 2nd year in FFC, I haven't had any duplicate genres. 

Lucky.

2016 FFC R1 Ghost Story
FFC R2 Drama
FFC R3 Ghost Story

2017 SSC R1 Ghost Story
SSC R2 Ghost Story

It was getting a little silly. Was thrilled to get a SciFi for R1 this FFC. Ended up with A/A this round and discovered it's not really my thing. But a good opportunity to try something new I guess. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>