NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what does it mean when....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haveubeenthere2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what does it mean when....
    Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 4:43pm
What does it mean when people read your story (or at least open it) but then don't comment? Is it paranoid thinking to assume they're doing the whole, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" thing?

http://haveubeentheretoo.blogspot.com/2010/10/puddles.html
londongirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote londongirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 5:32pm
Do you mean when you get thread views but no comments? Don't be paranoid - I often drop into a thread when someone first posts to take a peak, but don't necessarily get around to reading the story until later. It's amazing how many hits can be generated by general moseying around.
hyoussef View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hyoussef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 5:36pm
I agree. Sometimes I go to a post quite a few times before I post a comment. Then I might go back a few more times to read other people's comments or to see if the author responded. I would prefer if the site only showed number of unique visitors.
Don't be discouraged. I would say it has nothing to do with your writing. I personally have looked at your thread a few times and have not even read your story yet. I will, it's just that during the day I have 5 kids running around and I want to be able to concentrate when I give a review.
:)
hyoussef View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hyoussef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 5:37pm
Sometimes I come back to reread what I said, too. LOL
:)
sutekh137 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sutekh137 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by haveubeenthere2 haveubeenthere2 wrote:

What does it mean when people read your story (or at least open it) but then don't comment? Is it paranoid thinking to assume they're doing the whole, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" thing?

Yes it is paranoid, and yes you could be right.  *smile*  I don't think it is likely, though.

Are you referring to seeing hits on your actual blog, or just the number of views on the thread? If the latter, then I think londongirl has explained things pretty well.  If the former, then isn't it just as likely that people are blown away and are speechless as it is they don't want to say something negative?  Paranoia can work both ways, you know.  *smile*

JoeK

Edited by sutekh137 - 21 Oct 2010 at 5:41pm
==============================================
Slow down. In attempting to do everything at once, you're missing it all.
==============================================
MovingMom View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MovingMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 10:19pm
I totally feel your pain.  I posted my story, and there were immediately hits on it without comments.   Oooooh, it was KILLING me!  Until I realized thatl  some of those hits were me ... and then read a couple of stories and made mental notes to come back and give positive feedback later ... and and and ... Tra la la ... So had a glass of wine, kissed husband, watched Dexter, and all much better now (and now I have real feedback, wheee!)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic