NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What do you Dread?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 10:33pm
My biggest fear going into this was that I'd get Rom Com ... I even joked with friends about it. So what did I get in the first round?
Rom Com!!!
Having said that, I still managed to get into the points ... and I enjoyed the challenge, although reading the story back now, there's a couple of obvious areas for improvement.
Gra View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by OmnipotentDrew OmnipotentDrew wrote:

RomCom - I can write neither romance nor comedy very well. The idea of putting them both together is horrifying (unlike horror, which I love to write).

That's exactly how I felt going into this ... but it's amazing what you can come up with when it gets thrown at you.
Heather52384 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heather52384 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 11:54am
Comedy or Rom-Com. I'm not funny and someone usually dies in my stories. I have yet to draw one of those genres and have no idea how I would approach either. 
Heather N. Santo
100-Micro:A Warning (GhostStory)
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by ottersdaughter ottersdaughter wrote:

On our first date, my now husband and I argued about whether Horde or Alliance was superior (it's Horde if you're wondering).

ZUNZUG!

Personally, I tremble in fear at the prospect of pulling political satire. I would probably die a dry, uninspired death staring at the prompts on that very Friday. Or early Saturday, I guess. How long do heart attacks take?

Other than that, I'm uninterested in Spy and CCapers, even though I've written an ok Caper in the screenplay challenge (I spun it as a comedy, which probably saved me--transgendered stories for the win!). Not looking forward to writing another one, though.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 7:54pm
Spy, hate it.  Had it once before and is too much work for little gain.  The old mind just does not enjoy it.
BorisG View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BorisG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Schrifty Schrifty wrote:

I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate Drama.  For me it's really boring, and it lends itself too much to poignant vignettes where characters make pancakes in an evocative, melancholy, over-descriptive kind of way and muse about their dead child or failed marriage or some sh*t.

As a fan of writing drama - high five :D.

Had romantic comedy last round, and it was awful. Worse than I expected, and my expectations were quite low.

I sort of dread anything comedic, despite having ten years' experience of performing comedy. To me so much of it is in the moment, in the connection you build with the audience - I just don't know how to translate that into writing without growing stiff and stilted.

Political satire might be ok, because I can probably reduce it to just open mockery of people.
Flash Fiction 2022 #2: link
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123