NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What counts as an 'undertaker'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What counts as an 'undertaker'
    Posted: 07 May 2017 at 12:55am
Wikipedia says that undertaker is an archaic term in the US, and the preferred term is 'funeral director,' so that's what I used.  What say you?

JanesDragon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanesDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 1:15am
I think it's the same. 
Also, hello fellow Portland area finalist person!
Tualatin here.
LyndaD View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LyndaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 1:17am
I took 'undertaker' to mean a person who prepares a body for burial.  
I just realized that, while my MC works with the dead and mentions cleaning up and preparing bodies, the actual word 'undertaker' never appears. I hope that's okay....
sinister View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 2:11am
Originally posted by JanesDragon JanesDragon wrote:

I think it's the same. 
Also, hello fellow Portland area finalist person!
Tualatin here.
Hallo from the far reaches of East Portland.  How about this sunshine, am I right?  Cheers and good luck! :)

Edited by sinister - 07 May 2017 at 2:11am
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 5:40am

I had "Mortitian" as a character a few years ago in Screenplay ... same difference ...

Tricksie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tricksie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 9:03am
No sense worrying about it now!! I think any character related to preparing dead bodies or funerals works. 
R1 H18 Abso
R2 H2 Special Things
R3 Find the Light
Imaginative Insanity View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imaginative Insanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by LyndaD LyndaD wrote:

I took 'undertaker' to mean a person who prepares a body for burial.  
I just realized that, while my MC works with the dead and mentions cleaning up and preparing bodies, the actual word 'undertaker' never appears. I hope that's okay....

For round 2, my character assignment was a 40-year-old unemployed man. I never directly mentioned that he was 40, only that he graduated high school 22 years ago. And I never directly said he was unemployed either, just that he worked somewhere until his previous boss suffered an untimely accident.

Apparently they thought that was acceptable, so I think you should be more than fine. Smile

SSC 2017:
Ch1: Makeshift (Fantasy)
BlackGate View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackGate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 9:59am
For me an undertaker is anyone who's role is to prepare and convey the remains of a deceased person (or entity) to the grave.
R1 Soft Strings, Slow Strings
R2 The Ravens of Villers-Bretonneux
R3 Mrs Pendleton's Corpse
patsy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 11:51am
From good old Merriam-Webster:

Definition of undertaker

1. 1:  one who undertakes :  one who takes the risk and management of business :  entrepreneur

2. 2:  one whose business is to prepare the dead for burial and to arrange and manage funerals

3. 3:  an Englishman taking over forfeited lands in Ireland in the 16th and 17th centuries

BlackGate View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackGate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by patsy patsy wrote:

From good old Merriam-Webster:

Definition of undertaker

1. 1:  one who undertakes :  one who takes the risk and management of business :  entrepreneur

2. 2:  one whose business is to prepare the dead for burial and to arrange and manage funerals

3. 3:  an Englishman taking over forfeited lands in Ireland in the 16th and 17th centuries

Employing definitions 1 and 3 would have taken some bravery! Not sure the judges would have been tuned in to those.

BG

Edited by BlackGate - 09 May 2017 at 12:00pm
R1 Soft Strings, Slow Strings
R2 The Ravens of Villers-Bretonneux
R3 Mrs Pendleton's Corpse
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic