NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What are you doing instead of writing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shadies01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 12:14am
Originally posted by ASharedNarrative ASharedNarrative wrote:

Originally posted by Shadies01 Shadies01 wrote:

I spent most of Saturday working (I'm a realtor so weekends are busy!) and thinking over ideas for the story. I spent most of Sunday working and managed to sneak in about 3 hours to write up the story I came up with...and spent then the rest of Sunday night realizing I used a storeroom instead of a stockroom, but didn't have time to come up with an entirely new story since I had a bunch of paperwork to do for work.  Oh, and spent quite a bit of time both days admiring pictures of my new granddaughter. :)

What's the distinction? I thought they were two different words for the same thing.

Hopefully the judges won't see a difference! :)  

Stockroom: a room in which stock of materials or goods are stored for use or sale.
Storeroom: a room or space where things are stored.  

Not a huge difference, really, but they could be picky about it.

Edited by Shadies01 - 17 Jul 2017 at 12:15am
Alexis_H View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexis_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 8:43am

Stockroom: a room in which stock of materials or goods are stored for use or sale.

Last year my location was a gun range. I had nothing so I made it into a former gun range, now nightclub. I got the highest marks for that one out of last years entries. 

Was the storeroom in a place where the items could possibly be sold?
FFC 2017 Only Blue
Shadies01 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadies01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Alexis_H Alexis_H wrote:

Last year my location was a gun range. I had nothing so I made it into a former gun range, now nightclub. I got the highest marks for that one out of last years entries. 

Was the storeroom in a place where the items could possibly be sold?

No, sadly it was not.  It was just a storeroom in a house. If the worst thing they say is that I got that part wrong, I'll be happy.  I doubt that'll be the case, though!  The story morphed into a non- traditional writing style and I've learned from experience that the judges don't care for that sort of thing, even if it's what the story calls for.   My Political Satire from a previous competition was all in letter format and they really hated it. REALLY hated it.  I probably shot myself in the foot just by writing it the way I did, so I shouldn't really stress about the store room debacle. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic