NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thread of solidarity for those freaking out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 11:40am
Originally posted by seawhere seawhere wrote:

Originally posted by SakuraHime SakuraHime wrote:

Is anyone else suddenly second guessing everything? Like, I really think my synopsis is stupid. And maybe I should have tried to provide more info, but I don't know what I could have cut...

Yep, and that's why I'm not looking at it! Just letting it go.

Same, and I am just leaving my story be for a while.  I'll read it again only after I start getting some feedback on the forums and when the judges' comments come in.  Otherwise, it's safely filed away.  Plus, I've worked, and reworked, and reworked my story so much that I am just plain sick of it now.  
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Vernacula Vernacula wrote:

I had to stop listening to my (beloved, appreciated) betas.

B1: Best line ever!
B2: This line makes no sense
B3: This line would be even better flipped
B4: You should cut this line or move it here
B5: Best line ever!

I feel like I may have overworked the piece trying to filter out suggestions that didn't make sense for me. It's so hard for me to tune out other opinions, because there are too many damn good people in this thing!

Being as how I was one of your beta readers, I am confident you did the right thing -- your writing voice is so, so strong that I think any recommendations you took were incorporated well.

As an aside, my English professor told me never to use "being as how," but being as how he is dead AND he made me use Strunk and White, you will make me stop using "being as how" when you pry it from my cold dead keyboard.
SWC R1 H45 | Best of Breed
SSC R1 H46
SSC R2 H13
justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by SakuraHime SakuraHime wrote:

Is anyone else suddenly second guessing everything? Like, I really think my synopsis is stupid. And maybe I should have tried to provide more info, but I don't know what I could have cut...

If all you're second guessing is your synopsis, worry not.  I'm sure people with more experience than I have can speak to this with more authority than I can, but I'm pretty certain the synopsis has very little if any effect on the scoring except maybe in the tightest of tight close calls.

That said, if this *is* worth worrying about, I'm in big trouble.  I already know my synopsis is no such thing--it's a teaser at best, and a ridiculously vague one at that--and I'm waffling now about whether I should have used present tense in it instead of past.  Leave it to me to have a four-word synopsis and manage to screw it up.  Dead
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 1:20pm
The time for worrying is past. This is a contest, and your entry is complete. You can think of how you might improve it, but you cannot change what you submitted. If you want to work on your piece more, you can, or you can just sleep the sleep of the just and call it good.

With that said, I'd pay attention to what the contest requires. While it does not explicitly state that a good title and good synopsis are required (you could just enter "This is my story title" and "This is my synopsis. Here is the second sentence of my synopsis."), the fact that both are required leads me to believe that both are used during the judging in some way, and in the case where only 5 of 30 entries will advance to the next round, I'd want to do my best to have a compelling title, synopsis, and story to be part of that 16%.

This is in no way an attempt to make you feel bad, but perhaps to learn for the next round.

My first stories I submitted had haphazard synopses because I didn't understand what they were for, but now I see them as the back-of-the-book blurb for a short story. Treat it as part of your submission, do the best you can, but (IMO) pay the most attention to your story, first.

What I do is to write the synopsis when I've drafted the story. Then as I work on the story, I tweak the synopsis.

Of course, this might all be moot, as you'll advance to Round 2 and I'll be here wishing I could delete this post.
SWC R1 H45 | Best of Breed
SSC R1 H46
SSC R2 H13
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

Originally posted by Vernacula Vernacula wrote:

I had to stop listening to my (beloved, appreciated) betas.

B1: Best line ever!
B2: This line makes no sense
B3: This line would be even better flipped
B4: You should cut this line or move it here
B5: Best line ever!

I feel like I may have overworked the piece trying to filter out suggestions that didn't make sense for me. It's so hard for me to tune out other opinions, because there are too many damn good people in this thing!

Being as how I was one of your beta readers, I am confident you did the right thing -- your writing voice is so, so strong that I think any recommendations you took were incorporated well.

As an aside, my English professor told me never to use "being as how," but being as how he is dead AND he made me use Strunk and White, you will make me stop using "being as how" when you pry it from my cold dead keyboard.

Hahaha.

Being as how you have a keen eye and lovely voice yourself, I thank you...for the kind words AND thoughtful notes. xx

tonicwater79 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonicwater79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 11:45pm
LOL, Love that - Pulling garbage out of our butts....

LOL
"She holds the pen that spells the end, she traces me and draws me in."

AlmostSquamous View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlmostSquamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 5:27am
Here we are at the end of all things...

Wanted to reach out to my fellow freak-outs to see how you did! I had zero expectation to place for the next round as this was my first ever attempt at any contest, let alone NYCM, so I am utterly stoked to get an honourable mention.

How is everyone feeling? For those who got through, are you ready? Big smile

PS - finally putting my story out there to read, because I was going through some life crises and couldn't stomach the anxiety of sharing before now!

Read my 1st Round story titled Radio Violence

--

58 weasels in a trench coat. Or possibly a duvet full of coconuts. Author-in-training. Bunburyist.
Parsifal View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parsifal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 12:55pm
Hey Squamous, just read the story. Loved it! 

I know exactly how you feel. Part of me is utterly stoked that I hit the HM, but I'm also a little bit bummed that I missed out on the top spots. Still, next year. It's on. 
SSC 2017 R1 Heat 72 - Fantasy/A Blind Date/ A Cement Truck Driver - Terry, 33 and Looking for Love

This is fun!
nicayal View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicayal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 1:04pm
Same as the two of you, in terms of feelings. This is the first writing contest I've ever entered, and I had no clue what to do with the assigned genre of political satire. I got some good feedback on the forums, but such that I assumed I was pretty much sunk. I ended up with an honorable mention myself, so I'm pretty happy with the result. Obviously, I'd have loved to move on to see if I could create something stronger in a genre I'm more comfortable with, but I'm definitely thinking about participating again next year. On the whole, this felt like a good experience.

Congrats to you both!
Honorable Mention - SSC 2017: R1 H43 - Spoiler Effect (Political Satire)
tonicwater79 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonicwater79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 8:49pm
This wasn't my first contest, and I had no idea how HUGE the field was going to be.
I got an HM, which I think is pretty complimentary because it means my story was at least considered for the top spots. Of course, I would've enjoyed a 1-5 placing too. Smile
Also, given that I got the one genre I dreaded getting, I think it's especially complimentary of what I wrote.

There's always a few ways to look at things. I think the suspense of not knowing what you'd have to write about was a great way to do the contest and I'm pretty sure I'll sign up again next year.

"She holds the pen that spells the end, she traces me and draws me in."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
  Share Topic