NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"This is for all you new people..."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 12:31am
Just throwing this thread back up to the top as we enter a new "first round!"

Welcome, newbies :)

Edited by nixie - 17 Jul 2017 at 12:32am
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 12:51am
Giving this another bump!

I was a newbie at this time last year and this was probably one of the most valuable posts on the forum. ESPECIALLY on submission night and just after.

So if this is your first NYCM challenge, be sure to read! Welcome!
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 1:11am
Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

Giving this another bump!

I was a newbie at this time last year and this was probably one of the most valuable posts on the forum. ESPECIALLY on submission night and just after.

So if this is your first NYCM challenge, be sure to read! Welcome!

SO glad it was helpful :) 

It will also be linked at the top of the Master List posts, to make it easy to find.

Wheeee.... here we go again! Clap
Émile View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Émile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 5:59am
Thanks a lot nixie. That's some great material you're giving us. :)
plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 7:45am
bumping back up...
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 9:03am
Originally posted by Émile Émile wrote:

Thanks a lot nixie. That's some great material you're giving us. :)

Welcome - but I am only the typist.  The info has been gathered, amended, enhanced, and generally refined over several years, and many of the "regulars" here have had a hand in making it a useful reference :)

You'll find the NYCM forums are unquestionably a group effort, and by far the most valuable part of the contest experience. :) The forumites are a true treasure.

Nix
ASharedNarrative View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASharedNarrative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 9:53am
Originally posted by plkphoto plkphoto wrote:

In that vein, it's also good to use Google Docs and set privacy settings to "people with link can view" so that it's not searchable. Or on a blog, have it password protected and give the password in your Review post.

This is a personal preference thing, everyone else's mileage may vary.

I am less likely to review your work if you block off the ability to print your story from Google. Most of my reading gets done away from my desk, or over food--places where I can't traditionally have my laptop out.

Is that a pet peeve for anyone else? There are totally understandable reasons for doing it like that, and I get them. Entirely. But if I can't carry your story with me, it's really unlikely I'll have the time/ability to review it for you.
2017 FFC
R1-1 G39 - Causal Effect
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 11:28am
Originally posted by ASharedNarrative ASharedNarrative wrote:

In that vein, it's also good to use Google Docs and set privacy settings to "people with link can view" so that it's not searchable. Or on a blog, have it password protected and give the password in your Review post.

This is a personal preference thing, everyone else's mileage may vary.

I am less likely to review your work if you block off the ability to print your story from Google. Most of my reading gets done away from my desk, or over food--places where I can't traditionally have my laptop out.

Is that a pet peeve for anyone else? There are totally understandable reasons for doing it like that, and I get them. Entirely. But if I can't carry your story with me, it's really unlikely I'll have the time/ability to review it for you.

Since many contestants plan the potential for future publication, the ability to maintain control over distribution and copying of their materials is often a priority when posting. Keeping their content out of general-internet searches limits its visibility to NYCMers who are led there, which is a significant difference.

There are many potential reviewers here, and the dynamic is such that someone who doesn't read doesn't get critiques in return, so missing one or two people who "might have read but didn't" is often not seen as much of a cost, in comparison.   

While I can certainly empathize with the need/desire for portability, the vast majority of users achieve that by reading on portable devices, from phones to tablets, so that too is not as prevalent a use case.

We all take different protective measures, depending on our priorities.  My links, for example, are open - and are deactivated, the documents pulled down altogether after reviews start to die down.  Someone else might leave it open on their blog, a third person might choose a middle ground such as plk's.  To me, the far more important point of her post is that many people who might *like* to protect their work but aren't necessarily familiar with the options for that got the opportunity to discover that those options exist.  :)

Edited by nixie - 17 Jul 2017 at 11:29am
plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 5:40am
You can also set it to view only without turning off the ability to download/print. Some people turn it off, others don't. I'm mostly concerned with searchability... I don't want them to be searchable.
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 8:49pm

You can also set it to view only without turning off the ability to download/print. Some people turn it off, others don't. I'm mostly concerned with searchability... I don't want them to be searchable.

Some others are concerned with the definitions that some publishers use for "Previously published" - having it out on your blog or otherwise searchable + accessible on the web is enough to DQ some markets if you want to pitch it later.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic