NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"This is for all you new people..."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Enneidra View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Enneidra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 10:52pm
Nixie. No worries. I'm just excited to have someone review my story. This is the first time I have ever let any if my stories into public. Just anxious. I will get it hopefully.
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Enneidra Enneidra wrote:

Nixie. No worries. I'm just excited to have someone review my story. This is the first time I have ever let any if my stories into public. Just anxious. I will get it hopefully.

I am sure you will. :) Sometimes, it just takes finding the person who says things in a way that makes sense to your brain.

True story: my nephew got suspended from school and my husband, who happened to be off work during that time, agreed to watch him and make sure his homework got done.  Each night, he'd read the homework, and next day would work with the nephew to 'teach' it. Except the algebra - that book did not 'speak' to my husband. or nephew.  They are both sort of circular thinkers. 

I could *not explain the linear algebra-logic to my nephew. But I could explain it to my husband, who could explain it to my nephew.  So every night I did the algebra homework, then walked my husband through my work - which he could then teach to my nephew. lol

Communication style matters. You'll find the person you need - or maybe a little googling and you will find a web site that works for you, that you can turn to over and over :)
WriterByNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WriterByNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by plkphoto plkphoto wrote:

Just want to remind everyone that nixie is not being paid by NYCM for any of these posts and is just a writer participating in the contest like the rest of us. So thank you for putting this post together nixie!

Also make sure you read the instructions set out by NYCM in the pinned post in the Review forum, as that might help clarify things.

Enneidra -- The forums should work the same for Mac or PC… I'm on a Mac too. 

In your post for the review forums, you need to host your story on an outside site (not copy and paste it directly into the message body). You can edit your post to include a link to your story on Google Docs or an outside blog site. Do you have a Google (or gmail) account? If so, you should already have an account for Google Docs. Otherwise, it's easy to set up. You can just go to https://docs.google.com/ and set up an account with your email address. They have a heap of "getting started" instructions -- what you want in the end is a link to "share" with the option that "anyone with the link can view" in your privacy settings. You can then put that web address in the forum post.

For your signature… Copy and paste the following entire line of code into the signature box and you should have a link to your story:

Hope this helps.

Thank you PlkPhoto! This is my first time logging into the forum in awhile and I'm amazed how much time Nixie has spent on this post and behind the scenes. She should be paid, NYCM Tongue

It looks like you guys have gotten the help you need. I'm excited to see new members on the forum. 

I wanted to add one thing --- the forum is not only open to people in the contest. Anyone with a login/password can see any contest from any year, whether they entered NYCM or not. So, you can always password protect stories for an extra layer of protection when you post them.

Thanks, Nixie. Great work here. 

Edited by WriterByNight - 18 Aug 2016 at 2:57pm
FFC R2 | Defenestrated

FFC R1 | The Farmer from Aschilles | 10 pts
ABC View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 2:36pm

Edited by ABC - 01 Feb 2017 at 2:46pm
plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 7:34am
Bumping back up to the top (in case there's a weekend rush of newbies coming to put up stories).
LaissezFaire View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaissezFaire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 10:03pm
I have a tip for the newbies who are hesitant to comment.

1.  Everyone feels that way the first few times

2.  Everyone has something valuable to add.  Maybe you are good with commas, or dialogue punctuation, or maybe you can share an impression of what worked well / impressed or what you stubbed your toe on. 

3.  Use the "rule of three" if you are unsure where to start.   (1) Greet and offer an opening impression and overall remarks -- What drew you into the story?  How were the prompts handled, etc.    (2)List three favorite things -- you can cut and paste favorite lines for example   (3) List three areas of improvement -- errant comma, wrong word, tense problem, character questions, unanswered questions, possible plot hole, points of confusion...etc 

plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 6:33pm
Hmm -- seems to be a few new wrong spot posts, so I'll bump this back up.
plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 9:02pm
Bumping for round 2. Hope this helps some newbies. :-)
Esmeralda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esmeralda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 4:24pm
Hi,
This my second round entry, "A Drug Run". The genre is horror. I was to include an assembly line worker and a live performance. Thanks

plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 3:08am
Originally posted by Esmeralda Esmeralda wrote:

Hi,
This my second round entry, "A Drug Run". The genre is horror. I was to include an assembly line worker and a live performance. Thanks

This isn't the right place to link your stories. You need to post them in the Review sub-forum if you want people to comment. Read the first post in this series to figure out how.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic