NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Week Of. . .

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthonypittore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Week Of. . .
    Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 7:55am
We're a few days out from the Screenwriting Challenge 2017. 

Has anyone participated in the NYCM Contests before?  I missed the Short Screenplay Challenge because I was in the process of moving, but I was a finalist in the 2017 SWC.

Anyway, I'm psyched for the new challenge and look forward to reading everyone's work when the subforum opens (unless it already has and I'm somehow missing it).

-Anthony
- Anthony

SWC 2024:

R1 - Fairytale of New York
(G59 - Fairy Tale / Garbage Man / New Year's Eve)
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 8:38am
Hi Anthony

I made it to the final of the Short Screenplay competition (although finished outside the top 10). It was a lot of fun, although the subjectivity of the judges is there for all to see in this which can be frustrating. I'm sure it happens in all contests, this is just the one where you can see it. But that's only because all scripts get feedback which is awesome.

The other thing was that only about 20% of participants used the forums. So while the opening round is a great chance to enjoy being part of a community, you strangely get less such gratification with each round. By the final only 5 of the 25 finalists were posting, so it felt strangely dead.

But the opening rounds, what fun!

Look forward to reading your work!

Best

Tim

Rhyming Story R2: Flying On Empty (Thriller)
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 2:44pm
This will be my fourth time participating in an NYCM contest (I have 2 short story and 1 screenwriting under my belt so far). I am currently in the running for Round 2 of the short story contest, so this will be a nice distraction while awaiting results for that.

Looking forward to getting our assignments!! :) 
#amrevising
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 10:36pm
This is my first time in a screen-writing/play competition. I am looking forward to the challenge on a new way of thinking and writing.

I've been involved in the NYC FF Competition since 2013, and just got finished with the SSC Round 2. Fingers crossed!

I find the interplay in the forums a great part of the value of the contest, so I'm looking forward to at least Round 1 in this upcoming contest.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 11:45pm
First-time in screenwriting, I've done Flash and Short Story.

Nervous/excited for this challenge.  If nothing else, it should be an interesting experience...

And I LOVE the forums.  So incredibly helpful, such great people on here.  Look forward to reading everyone's work!
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
Emmageek View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmageek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 1:27pm
I've been doing it for years.  Yes, the judges' views can be discouraging at times, but I still do it because I think they are fun and give me new material for me to lengthen and submit.
arik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 12:53am
I'm a newbie to the NYC competitions and this is my first screenwriting challenge. Also my first post on the forums. I haven't got a clue what I'm doing, but wanted to challenge myself to write something different. I'm looking forward to it Smile
angelus0186 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote angelus0186 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 8:43am
I'm in. Can't wait to get started.
Managed to get to the final of the Short Screenplay challenge, so the only way is down!
Screenwriting:

Challenge 4 (Final):
Sci Fi/Crater/Pepper Spray

The Journey Home:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByUVnwL8XUFvX2N5Vmc2WVJWbW8
turtle7313 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote turtle7313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 5:12pm
I'm in again. This will be my 6th time competing in either the Screenplay or Short Screenplay competition. Made it to the Semi-Final round with my last short, really wish we still got scores at that point in the competition so I knew where I stood!
Nervous this time around as I am actively writing two other screenplays and I'm not sure how much time I can devote to it. However, there is no better way that I have found to keep the creative juices flowing - so I signed up last minute. 

Good luck to all!
FFC CH1 GR 38 - A Broken Family - http://bit.ly/2ufVHFu
 Post Reply Post Reply