NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

THE IDEA - Or, avoiding low-hanging fruit.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote queenb330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by plkphoto plkphoto wrote:

I tell my husband my prompts as soon as I get them -- then we both go off and mull over them on our own. We get together and brainstorm ideas after that.

Snap! LOL
plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by queenb330 queenb330 wrote:

Originally posted by plkphoto plkphoto wrote:

I tell my husband my prompts as soon as I get them -- then we both go off and mull over them on our own. We get together and brainstorm ideas after that.

Snap! LOL

If we both come up with the same idea, it usually goes in the bin as too obvious…. Tongue
FFC 2018

Ch1 Gr62 -- The Other Side of the Coin (Thriller)
DBA Lehane View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBA Lehane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 7:08am
I always prefer to get the more challenging of genres - the popular ones like sci-fi, fantasy and horror most people can write well, so the competition is harder.  I've long wanted is political satire (I've worked in a Government department) as it seems to scare most but something I'd love to try.  In 6 years of competing, I'm yet to draw it in any challenge.  
Screenplay Challenge 2020 Finalist.
SSC 2014 Finalist.
FFC 2015 4th Placed Finalist.
DBA Lehane View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBA Lehane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 7:11am
I also "hate" the open genre that you get in the final round - I prefer something more defined.  When it's "open" the ideas can really run away with you!
Screenplay Challenge 2020 Finalist.
SSC 2014 Finalist.
FFC 2015 4th Placed Finalist.
MegOverman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MegOverman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 11:05am
Originally posted by DBA Lehane DBA Lehane wrote:

I also "hate" the open genre that you get in the final round - I prefer something more defined.  When it's "open" the ideas can really run away with you!

Absolutely! I thought "open" would be a relief. Nooope. I immediately ran toward horror, hated my idea, ran toward fantasy, doubly hated my idea...and realized that freedom is only attractive from the outside.

(For this post, I went with category "drama.")
Have a glass of wine and take it like a writer.

R1 - A Waste of Stars (Drama)
jenspenden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenspenden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 12:25pm

I always prefer to get the more challenging of genres - the popular ones like sci-fi, fantasy and horror most people can write well, so the competition is harder.  I've long wanted is political satire (I've worked in a Government department) as it seems to scare most but something I'd love to try.  In 6 years of competing, I'm yet to draw it in any challenge.  

I think it's hilarious how those who want political satire never get it, and those who break into a cold sweat at the thought of it do...I got it once, and once was plenty for me! (Which, of course, means I'll get it again someday). 
jenspenden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenspenden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by MegOverman MegOverman wrote:

Absolutely! I thought "open" would be a relief. Nooope. I immediately ran toward horror, hated my idea, ran toward fantasy, doubly hated my idea...and realized that freedom is only attractive from the outside.

(For this post, I went with category "drama.")

"(For this post, I went with category "drama.")" LOLLOL

I personally haven't minded open genre. It has allowed me to write whatever story I feel like writing. No boundaries, no rules (per se). 

What I don't like about open genre is the judges seem to reward only certain stories (specifically deep, introspective dramas). Nothing wrong with those (both of my R3's from SSC landed in the drama category), but if the judges are always going to give top points to those stories, then why make the finals open? Why let people choose fantasy, sci-fi, or horror if it has no chance of winning? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123