NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 2nd Round

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The 2nd Round
    Posted: 22 Aug 2006 at 5:37pm
If you should win your heat or move on to the second round as a runner-up, what would be your perfect Genre/Subject?

Mine would be Comedy/Dead Body.

I have this idea, you know... okay, it goes like this:  (If only I was lucky enough to make it to round 2)

Two losers trying to work their way up the corporate ladder find a serious financial error - a "cooking of the books" if you will.  So, they decide to show the president of the company, who pretends to be pleased with their findings and invites them to his beach house for a weekend of booze, dames, boating and more boozing.

Not realizing he's invited them there to have them killed, they jump at the chance.  But - follow along (irony twist), they find him dead when they arrive (killer stuff, I know).

One loser wants to call the authorities, but the other wants to continue to party, pretending that the body is alive and well.

As you can imagine, there are yucks all over the place, the hit-man thinking he has to finish the job (dead body - I don't know, let's call him Bernie).  Bernie was messing around with his shady partner's honey.

The sub-plots and layers are think.

So, what do you think?  A round 2 winner?
Earl Newton View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl Newton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2006 at 7:43pm
Nice idea, Willie, but you are opening yourself for MAJOR copyright violations, obviously.

John Grisham already did that story.
If you get a sec, check out my script:
"Discontent"
To satisfy his ruthless wife, Carl sets out to clone his mother-in-law.
richke View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2006 at 5:08am
Perfect Genre....i don't know...

Suspense/ Reality TV...since i already have one written  :)
Heat #18 - The Darkness Within   
http://www.richardthomaskeel.com/media/18_TheDarknessWithin.pdf
2184pro View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2184pro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2006 at 5:18am
Originally posted by Willie Willie wrote:

As you can imagine, there are yucks all over the place, the hit-man thinking he has to finish the job (dead body - I don't know, let's call him Bernie).  Bernie was messing around with his shady partner's honey.

That's great!! It needs a title...Couple of Days with Bernie...Friday through Sunday with Bernie...Not a full week with Bernie...it's on the tip of my tongue...   
Check out my other videos. http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=2184pro
tomshipley View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomshipley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2006 at 6:06am
I always thought "Garage Sale" would be a good topic for one of these thigns.
Willie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2006 at 2:51pm
Film Noir/Garage Sale
johnnyd View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2006 at 3:12pm
Frankly, if I make it through to round 2, these are the combos I want to see...

ACTION/ADVENTURE - AN ARCHAEOLOGIST
SCI-FI - A LOST ALIEN
SLASHER - SUMMER CAMP
MONSTER - A BEACH TOWN
COMEDY - A COUNTRY CLUB
MOCKUMENTARY - A HEAVY METAL BAND
COMEDY - CROSS-DRESSING MUSICIANS
THRILLER - MAN WITH NO LONG-TERM MEMORY
COMEDY - GHOST EXTERMINATORS

2184pro View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2184pro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2006 at 6:18pm
Johnnyd,

We can always hope, but I'm sure if those were usable ideas, someone would have made a feature by now.

Although, I have an opening idea. See what you think. I don't know if anyone would care to know what comes next:

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Never mind. I'll just keep working on my idea about the short guys on a quest with a ring.

Check out my other videos. http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=2184pro
MeaningLess View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeaningLess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2006 at 11:46pm
You guys are too funny! LOL

Hmmm...let's see....  I'll take anything sci fi and drama.  Comedy and mystery would murder me.  I wouldn't have a clue.
"Meaningless, meaningless, all is meaningless, says the teacher..."
discopolis View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discopolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2006 at 2:24am
Anything but Fairy Tale again.  And hopefully not mockumentary, that would be the worst bad luck.

Could go for horror sci-fi or drama, but then the competition has been STRONG in round 1 for these genres.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic