NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So...what is historical fiction?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DBA Lehane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So...what is historical fiction?
    Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 4:11am
Okay, so one of the screenplays here has led to a fairly frank exchange of views on what qualifies as historical fiction.

Is all fiction set in the past historical fiction? Does historical fiction need to revolve around real historical events? Is a horror, fantasy or sci-fi story set in the past also a historical fiction? Can historical fiction have creatures in it that don't exist in reality?

Are there certain criteria that historical fiction must adhere to? Or is it anything goes as long as the story is set in the past?

Would love to hear views.
Screenplay Challenge 2020 Finalist.
SSC 2014 Finalist.
FFC 2015 4th Placed Finalist.
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 5:22am

OK, Darren ... I'll cross pens with you.  I've pulled historical fiction.  I believe it is a fictional account set during a recognisable historical episode or context. 

My last one was a short screenplay set at the Romanov Massacre in 1918 ... The Black Diamond ... March 2014.  I also remember one set in Dallas, Nov 22, 1963.  There's quite a nice one set at the first atomic test in 1945. 

I think just setting a story in the past doesn't qualify.  It needs to somehow affect, witness or take place during something historical ... or interact with a recognisable historical character. 

DBA Lehane View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBA Lehane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 5:33am
I think we're in broad agreement Scarly. Whilst characters can be fictional they need to be set around historical events/real persons but no matter how fictional - need to adhere to the facts of that historical period.
SSC 2014 Finalist.
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBA Lehane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 5:35am
So a story set around a vampire in the past is not historical fiction. As far as we know they did not exist. However a story about people in history who think vampires exist could be historical fiction.
SSC 2014 Finalist.
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBA Lehane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 5:37am
And yeah, I've pulled historical fiction 4 times - has been my most successful genre in terms of points.
SSC 2014 Finalist.
Pigpen_NYC View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pigpen_NYC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 9:56am
I pulled historical fiction this round and am nervous as hell as to whether or not my story qualifies.  I shot an email to the powers that be to inquire, but it was mid-Sunday afternoon (just a few hours before the script was due) and never heard back from them.

There was a communication from NYC Midnight - can't recall if in an email or on the site - that said to feel free to interpret the assignment as you wish (to a certain extent).  To that end I'm hoping my Cold War references suffice. 

Does "Red Dawn" count as historical fiction, or "The Hunt for Red October"?  What about "Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter", or even "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure"?  One more to ponder - "History of the World"?

My interpretation is to take either an historical period or an historical figure and then have fun with it.  After all, it's historical FICTION, not non-fiction, right?
Pigpen_NYC View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pigpen_NYC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 10:12am

I found the reference.  It was in the introductory email.  Doesn't necessarily clarify things, though.

"Feel free to interpret your genre, location, and object assignment in uniquely creative ways...we're looking for interesting and inventive stories. But also know that we won't be able to accept submissions that are completely off of the assignments you are given. For example; if your assigned genre is drama, a screenplay that reads as an outright comedy will most likely be disqualified..."
marnie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote marnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 10:22am

Edited by marnie - 13 Jan 2015 at 8:05pm
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBA Lehane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 10:32am
We're discussing a genre - no need for personal insults. The moment you resort to personal insults your opinion is invalid. Post flagged.
SSC 2014 Finalist.
marnie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 10:32am

Edited by marnie - 13 Jan 2015 at 8:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>