NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Short Story Challenge 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 52>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GinaG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by plkphoto plkphoto wrote:

I am discovering that it is very difficult to write a chilling ghost story when you're being slowly baked in a moist oven... Ghost stories are supposed to be in dark, dank, chilly places. My mind just isn't going there at the moment! Maybe I should invent a sauna haunting ghost... Cool

The second week in January, Central Australia received our annual average of rainfall over a couple of days. Last week it was still mild weather and everything turned a nice beautiful green, rivers and creeks were flowing, birds were happy. Then it started to heat up -- heading back to our normal summer temperatures. Today it's supposed to hit 42C (which is almost 108F). Normally I can handle it even if it gets warmer than that, but with all the water around, we're currently experiencing sauna conditions... and our house doesn't have air conditioning, just a swamp cooler. Dead

I'm imagining two ghosts assigned to haunt some place in Australia and complaining of just this ... "We're supposed to be CHILLING! CHILLING! How can I be chilling here??"
EmmaFinlayson-Palmer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaFinlayson-Palmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 2:59pm
Glad I had a sneak look at the submission form now or I wouldn't have known until I sent the story lol

I'm probably being dumb but I can't work out how you get the quote of the message you're replying to on here Confused
jenspenden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jenspenden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by EmmaFinlayson-Palmer EmmaFinlayson-Palmer wrote:

Glad I had a sneak look at the submission form now or I wouldn't have known until I sent the story lol

I'm probably being dumb but I can't work out how you get the quote of the message you're replying to on here Confused

HA! Nope, not being dumb. It takes time to understand all the in's and out's of the forum Smile To get the quote: Look at the message you want to respond to and hit the "Quote" button on the upper right hand side. Then you may type your message below it. That's it! 
EmmaFinlayson-Palmer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaFinlayson-Palmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by jenspenden jenspenden wrote:

Originally posted by EmmaFinlayson-Palmer EmmaFinlayson-Palmer wrote:

HA! Nope, not being dumb. It takes time to understand all the in's and out's of the forum Smile To get the quote: Look at the message you want to respond to and hit the "Quote" button on the upper right hand side. Then you may type your message below it. That's it! 

Ah ha, thank you, let's see if this works!
ShadowBeast View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShadowBeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by GinaG GinaG wrote:

I'm imagining two ghosts assigned to haunt some place in Australia and complaining of just this ... "We're supposed to be CHILLING! CHILLING! How can I be chilling here??"

<evil grin> "Seriously Ralph? As eternal gigs go this is the pits! Why did you have to crash a dune buggy here in the middle of no where? Who are we going to scare, sidewinders? If it has to be hotter than Hades why not Palm Springs!"
R1A tightly packed parcel of contents that leave you wanting--which a publisher told me made her editing day. Suck it judges!
plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by etragedy etragedy wrote:

Originally posted by patsy patsy wrote:

I'll trade you!  The wind chill in Ohio was -15 last week! Shocked

I'll trade you! The wind chill in Vermont was -40 last week! Shocked

In other news I finally got something written, but still hating this and thinking 'Romance' 'Gluten Free' is the worst. Even the other Romances have better prompts.

I need to be somewhere steamy like Central Australia for this!

That's okay... I went to college in Vermont and was there for -40 weather and ice storms.... I'm good. I'll just drag up those memories and it should help. Tongue Can you find a place with a nice roaring fire -- that should be good for romance ambiance. Not too sure how gluten free can be made romantic, though.... good luck!

I think it was a bit too hot here even for romance... I could do a drama of someone stranded in the desert, though. Big smile 

I'll just have to get all my writing in early this morning before it starts steaming again.
plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Corrie Corrie wrote:

Originally posted by yttrus yttrus wrote:

Yeah, it is weird. I should have pretended this was flash so I could have put something out, then spent the rest of the week editing  blargh.

No matter how hard I try, I can never trick myself. I need a real, threatening deadline...I am just WAY too good at blowing myself off. Wink

Yep -- I have this exact same problem... Personal deadlines are way to easy to miss. Tongue
plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by ShadowBeast ShadowBeast wrote:

<evil grin> "Seriously Ralph? As eternal gigs go this is the pits! Why did you have to crash a dune buggy here in the middle of no where? Who are we going to scare, sidewinders? If it has to be hotter than Hades why not Palm Springs!"

New genre - Ghost Comedy.... I like it! 

Big smile
ShadowBeast View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShadowBeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by plkphoto plkphoto wrote:

Originally posted by ShadowBeast ShadowBeast wrote:

New genre - Ghost Comedy.... I like it! 

Big smile

Could be rather entertaining, really. The scenarios could get very interesting... oh boy, put that Gluten Free in there. Clap
R1A tightly packed parcel of contents that leave you wanting--which a publisher told me made her editing day. Suck it judges!
tariq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tariq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 7:19pm
Hello everyone. First time participating for me. My prompts are: sci-fi, pregnancy, private investigator.

I wrote a first draft, but it's really weird. I wonder if that's bad. I mean, I don't think I completely get my own story.

I see people discussing scores their stories got in the past. Is there a scoring system with clear criteria?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 52>
  Share Topic