NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Share your Title & Synopsis!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 32333435>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottersdaughter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by mhelgens mhelgens wrote:

Ps. I received my own confirmation email several hours ago and can't help but notice a ton of you all have too, but I haven't gotten one for Grandma yet. Should I be concerned about this? Submittable notes that her submission has been received.

I don't have mine yet either. I suspect they're going out in batches, and if it's by last name I'll be waiting a good long while yet...
FF#1: Made with Magic (Horror)

2017 ShSc HM
2016 FFC & ShSc Finalist
mhelgens View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhelgens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by ottersdaughter ottersdaughter wrote:

I don't have mine yet either. I suspect they're going out in batches, and if it's by last name I'll be waiting a good long while yet...

I'm guessing they aren't going out by last name, since my Grandma and I share a last name. Do you think it could be going in order of who submitted? I submitted mine hours before she did. That's the only thing I can think of.
Read my R1 Story: LINK= https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic51959_post550543.html#550543
ottersdaughter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottersdaughter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 5:13pm

Originally posted by ottersdaughter ottersdaughter wrote:

I'm guessing they aren't going out by last name, since my Grandma and I share a last name. Do you think it could be going in order of who submitted? I submitted mine hours before she did. That's the only thing I can think of.

I suppose it's just one of those mysteries of "behind the scenes" - maybe they have a time-traveling monk drawing names out of a hat. That makes for an interesting speculation at least ;)
FF#1: Made with Magic (Horror)

2017 ShSc HM
2016 FFC & ShSc Finalist
Cranium7 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cranium7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 5:13pm
Thank you. Surprisingly, the title was the most difficult. "Once upon a time" was a very fitting title for the story, but it was too generic. The story is bookended by her whispering it to herself... so eureka!
E.S. Crane
mhelgens View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhelgens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by One_likethewind One_likethewind wrote:

Group 77 Comedy/A Thrift Store/Vacuum Cleaner
Title: Birth, Death and the Pursuit of Lunch
Synopsis: You know what's funny about a thrift store? Spiders.

This one keeps catching my eye every time I scroll by. I'll definitely be giving this one a read! :) 
Read my R1 Story: LINK= https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic51959_post550543.html#550543
brianhagan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianhagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 6:41pm
I was in Group 25, and our prompt was Romance/A strawberry field/a golf ball

Title:
Waiting By the Bridge

Synopsis:

After a tragic incident, Melissa discovers that her soul mate has been waiting for her all along.

enngeecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enngeecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 3:39am
I was in group 27 and our prompt was Fantasy/copper mine/ tuxedo.

'Three Days Ago'

A speculative fiction-fantasy story set on an Australian coastal cliffside. It is the End of Days, but deep beneath the surface of the Earth, new beginnings are about to take place.

(I don't even know how I feel about this story any more. I edited it from 1500 words to 1000 and I think doing that took something away with it. Oh well. Done and dusted now!)

Edited by enngeecee - 20 Jul 2017 at 3:41am
newbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 6:09am

I felt the same way: hesitant to post mine because it was miles longer than others. I am admiring people's ability to attract their readers to read their story by giving so little away, but I was under the impression that the synopsis should be more elaborate. This is my first go round and I'm learning already 😂

Same here! In my first submission, I wrote my synopsis as a complete description of my entire story. However, after reading this guideline from the FAQ...
Q.  What is a brief synopsis of my story?
A.  A brief synopsis is a 1-2 sentence summary of your story.  It should be simple, yet very enticing (the main goal is to make the reader excited to read your story).

...I rewrote my synopsis to be a bit more of a teaser, and resubmitted.

Title:   A Killer Hike
Synopsis:   A forensic investigator goes hiking on her day off, while a serial killer is still at large.
Full Story:  http://forums.nycmidnight.com/ch1-gr66-a-killer-hike-action-adventure_topic15249.html

Edited by newbie - 20 Jul 2017 at 6:10am
mhelgens View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhelgens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 10:34am
Still haven't received the OK to post my grandma's story. It's after midnight. Should I be worried yet?
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 11:48am

Still haven't received the OK to post my grandma's story. It's after midnight. Should I be worried yet?

wouldnt hurt to send an email to feeedback@nycmidnight.com and inquire :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 32333435>