NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Share your Title & Synopsis!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 35>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
readingrid View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote readingrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 9:59am
Originally posted by CraftyCJ CraftyCJ wrote:

I got group 75, Historical Fiction, a seized plot of land, a rope.

Chalutzim

Binyamin thought he was being a patriot when he offered seven milk-churns to his friend Avraham in July of 1946. When he realizes that many dozens of people died as a result, he must come to grips with those consequences.

Group 75 represent!

I guess we all feel this way about our respective genres, but...historical fiction in 1,000 was hard! Didn't love my story, so I'm glad that it will be factored in with a second story's score. Cry

Group 75: Historical Fiction - A Seized Plot of Land - A Rope

This Land Is Our Land
It's 1935, central Oklahoma: Vera and Ruben have fought long and hard to save their farm from the creditors, but three summers of no rain and nightly dust storms has broken them. When a storm traps them overnight, Vera must entertain the Tulsa banker who has come to sign away their land.

Hershey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hershey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 10:04am
Originally posted by annelindleyk annelindleyk wrote:

Group 33-- a ghost story, in a boathouse, with a sandbag.

I got tips from friends who know a lot more about birds than I do.

The Last One

Fred Sterling was obsessed by a rare bird, not to mention young, wealthy, and doomed. Grad student Isabel Hicks shares his obsession, but can she escape his fate?

This is an excellent synopsis. Nice work.
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 10:20am
Originally posted by readingrid readingrid wrote:

Group 75 represent!

I guess we all feel this way about our respective genres, but...historical fiction in 1,000 was hard! Didn't love my story, so I'm glad that it will be factored in with a second story's score. Cry

Group 75: Historical Fiction - A Seized Plot of Land - A Rope

This Land Is Our Land
It's 1935, central Oklahoma: Vera and Ruben have fought long and hard to save their farm from the creditors, but three summers of no rain and nightly dust storms has broken them. When a storm traps them overnight, Vera must entertain the Tulsa banker who has come to sign away their land.

REALLY looking forward to reading this one!
JCotter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 10:22am
I had mystery, a stockroom, and a set of antlers.

I titled my story "Heatwave".

A detective investigates a murder during one of the hottest months on record.
LaissezFaire View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaissezFaire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 10:31am
Turing is a vague nod in the story. More of an unspoken underlayer if you know about the machines. :)

Originally posted by MattrickBT MattrickBT wrote:

Originally posted by LaissezFaire LaissezFaire wrote:

Group 34:   historical fiction / university library / microphone

Enigma

In 1964, an MIT graduate student rebuilds her father’s antique wireless radio and spends late nights listening to and decoding amateur Morse code broadcasts. After stumbling upon an encrypted message she was never supposed to hear, she finds herself fighting to stay one step ahead of the bodies.

Turing reference what?

Andrea View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 10:34am
Group 55
Horror/A Supermarket/An Earring

There's No Place Like Home

After a successful stint starring at a Sacramento Summer Stock Theatre, Wendy’s excited to return home. But first, she needs to make a chick stop for some groceries.    

Okay, had to laugh. Fiddling with the synopsis before an evening event, I managed to mess it up and, of course, not see it until now.  Hah! Chick stop! Should've been quick stop...but she is a chick, so...C'est la vie.  
number13 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote number13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Andrea Andrea wrote:

Group 55

After a successful stint starring at a Sacramento Summer Stock Theatre, Wendy’s excited to return home. But first, she needs to make a chick stop for some groceries.    

Okay, had to laugh. Fiddling with the synopsis before an evening event, I managed to mess it up and, of course, not see it until now.  Hah! Chick stop! Should've been quick stop...but she is a chick, so...C'est la vie.  

I kinda like it. Feels like focalisation. Like something the character would say themselves.
Andrea View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 10:38am
Originally posted by number13 number13 wrote:

Originally posted by Andrea Andrea wrote:

Group 55

I kinda like it. Feels like focalisation. Like something the character would say themselves.
 LOL, and you know what? She would. But, unfortunately she doesn't in the body of the story!  
Hershey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hershey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 10:50am

Group 69: Drama, A Beauty Pageant, A Cash Register

Decidedly Beautiful

A young man wrestles with the true definition of beauty when his differently-abled sister enters a pageant.
sbaldassari7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbaldassari7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 10:50am
Me too!
Drama/A Cybercafe/A Snail

Residue 

At this Terrarium Cafe, a mother is paralyzed by a gradual and chilling realization about her son.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 35>
  Share Topic