NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round 2 Prompts - Yay? Nay?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Tim G Tim G wrote:

Originally posted by Scarlet Screenwriter Scarlet Screenwriter wrote:

Well, I got Group 7, Historical Fiction/Dictator/Fear of Heights ... Historical fiction is my favourite genre ... along with fantasy, political satire ... well, I guess all of them ... worked it out in the first few minutes ... wrote the title and log line first, as always ...  now just to let it simmer ...
HA! You can just resubmit your R1 screenplay verbatim!

Why on earth would I do that?  R1 was indeed a bit Political Satire on top of Fantasy, but certainly not Historical Fiction!

Last laugh ... I have indeed included Donald Trump in my R2 screenplay ... upon doing my research, I found he was involved in the historical episode I chose!  Couldn't resist!

JuliKobayashi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JuliKobayashi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:00am
Originally posted by thesleepermustawaken thesleepermustawaken wrote:

Originally posted by JuliKobayashi JuliKobayashi wrote:

Originally posted by thesleepermustawaken thesleepermustawaken wrote:

I am right there with that historical fiction woe! I just keep telling myself that I am doing this for the challenge, and this is basically the biggest challenge yet!

I know, right? I feel like any other heat's prompts would have been easier for me. What I'm aiming for is centering my story on the emotions of the main character to keep dialogue at a minimum so that trying to get the dialect or political details correct of the historical era doesn't slow me down too much. Too soon to say at this point. Good luck to you!!

Yeah I have been so concerned because everything I read about H.F. is that the most important aspect is research and damn time spent perfecting the time period and language and all that! I definitely made it more of a character study, I don't really watch H.F., lets hope the idea is unique enough!! Good luck to you as well!!

Of course my final draft ended up being VERY heavy on dialogue. I couldn't figure out a way around it to explain what was going on. I imagine a lot of it was inconsistent,  but I did my best. I hope the story was strong enough, but I'm really just glad I finished it and submitted. The world I put myself in over these past 3 days was way too dark and I need a break!

I look forward to reading everyone's scripts. But now... SLEEP! Good luck to all! Clap
SC2017 R1 Action/Adventure: Black Horizon
R2: Historical Fiction-fear of heights-dictator: Jusztina
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic