NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round 2 Prompts - Yay? Nay?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaHaBone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 5:06pm
I'm no historical fiction buff, to be sure, but I got that genre in a previous challenge and it ended up being the best script I ever wrote in this contest!
R1:H44:Pressing the Flesh
R2:H3:Beef
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by JuliKobayashi JuliKobayashi wrote:

Originally posted by flightrisker flightrisker wrote:

Same here, <span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Suspense, home security, a youth sports coach. </span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">How baked in does the profession need to be? My retired army general story was all based around her being a retired army general. But if I just had someone arrive home with a sports bag and go "phew, tough day coaching those youths", and then that was the last we heard of their sporting would that be frowned upon?</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Just finding it hard to make their job integral to what I wanna write.</span>

Hey there, I agree with ADecker92's response to your question that unfortunately, I do think the judges need the character (including his or her profession) to influence your story or be important to the story. But as the email they send with guidelines says, it doesn't have to be the main character. In a previous short story challenge (not screenplay) where I placed first in my heat, I got a prompt for "gardener" and I included a supporting character in the story that was a monk who enjoyed gardening. He made a brief appearance in one scene, and then he sent my main character a letter about his garden. It was a relatively minor detail, but one that revealed my main character's effect on people as well as a goal she was trying to accomplish. Not sure if that helped at all. Good luck!

I concur.

In R1H20, we had to include a restaurant critic. Though my critic was not the main character, I made it to R2. My two main guys were restaurant owners. The critic was a somewhat passive antagonist.
FFC C1 Hooked (15pts)
FFC C2 Tied Down
ashleig3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashleig3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 7:19pm
Same here! This prompt is a lot harder than it looks. Good luck to us both! 

Edit: this was supposed to be in response to MaHaBone on the previous page, but it looks like the original post didn't go through. Definitely a newbie over here Confused

Edited by ashleig3 - 17 Jun 2017 at 7:22pm
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 9:52pm

Well, I got Group 7, Historical Fiction/Dictator/Fear of Heights ... Historical fiction is my favourite genre ... along with fantasy, political satire ... well, I guess all of them ... worked it out in the first few minutes ... wrote the title and log line first, as always ...  now just to let it simmer ...

NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Scarlet Screenwriter Scarlet Screenwriter wrote:

Well, I got Group 7, Historical Fiction/Dictator/Fear of Heights ... Historical fiction is my favourite genre ... along with fantasy, political satire ... well, I guess all of them ... worked it out in the first few minutes ... wrote the title and log line first, as always ...  now just to let it simmer ...

Was thinking about you when I saw your prompts. Figured you'd be happy. :D I'm a little shocked Darren got cut after Round 1.
"What a day! What a lovely day!"
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by NilesPerry NilesPerry wrote:

Originally posted by Scarlet Screenwriter Scarlet Screenwriter wrote:

Was thinking about you when I saw your prompts. Figured you'd be happy. :D I'm a little shocked Darren got cut after Round 1.

DARREN???  This is the first time I've got past Round 1 in a coon's age ... that's a raccoon, BTW ... American colloquialism ... put out your torches ...

DHL has done pretty good in the short story realm ... swings and roundabouts, as they say ...

MaHaBone View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaHaBone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 10:19pm
For the record, I will take Historical Fiction over Comedy- which is what i got this round.  Very worried my offbeat sense of humor is not going to translate through the written word.
shanan187 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanan187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 12:16am
Originally posted by JuliKobayashi JuliKobayashi wrote:

Ohh Zblugg, I'm envious!

I'm in heat 7: Historical fiction - fear of heights - dictator.  Historical fiction in 72 hours: NAY!

Good thing is that I mistakenly thought we only had 48 hours in this round but really relieved we have 72.  This ain't called a "challenge" for nothin' so putting my thinking cap on.  Good luck to all!!

Juli

Hi groupmate!

I have to admit, this prompt tripped me up a bit at first. I think I just researched all of Russian history in the last 48 hours. LOL! I've managed to get a draft to the "I no longer hate this" stage, and with a whole night to sleep on it! YAY!!

How's it going for you?
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 3:16am
R2 G3 Comedy / A night in jail / A computer repairman

Ugh. This was hard, and while I am "done" in the sense of "just doing the final edits," I really didn't do as good as I'd want to. I could not make the "funny" come out.

Well, we'll see what the judges think.
MaHaBone View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaHaBone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 9:46am
Agreed. I think Comedy might be the hardest genre. While I feel like I'm writing stuff a good comedic actor could run with, there's no guarantee the judges will visualize the same performances I do.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic