NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Results are in!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Results are in!
    Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 2:29pm
Congratulations to our winners :) 

After 2 rounds of competition and from an original field of over 3,000 writers, 80 writers were challenged to create a short story no longer than 1,500 words in just 24 hours based on the following assignment:

Genre: Open

Subject: A sunrise

Character:  An undertaker

The winners are listed below!  Congratulations to the finalists for making it so far and to everyone that participated this year for rising to the challenges.  Thanks for another great competition!

#1 ''The Undertaker'' by Sarah Martin  SYNOPSIS - A little boy buries his teddy bear at sunrise.

#2 ''Close Your Eyes'' by Jordan Ellis  SYNOPSIS - An undertaker guides me through the process of letting go.

#3 ''To Be Set Free'' by Allison McKnight  SYNOPSIS - After confronting a terrible childhood trauma, Alex does what he must to be set free.

#4 ''Fiat Tenebris (let there be dark)'' by Leslie Beckmann  SYNOPSIS - For Lucy Overton, the dark soul of grief is a place in the night-time desert and a promise her dead uncle is trying to keep.

#5 ''Sky Glow'' by Kerri Ward  SYNOPSIS - A grieving man and his teenage daughter climb a mountain in the dead of night in a quest for closure.

#6 ''Jane Doe at Sunrise'' by James Townsend  SYNOPSIS - A beautiful young stranger comes to a small town in Texas to commit suicide, leading to a long overdue confrontation between the undertaker and the love of his life.

#7 ''Family Undertaking'' by Robert Williams  SYNOPSIS - Some sloppy work by an undertaker’s grandson leads to an unwelcome guest in the funeral parlour.

#8 ''Waiting For The Sun'' by Faye Upton  SYNOPSIS - I tell people I’m a funeral director. It’s almost the truth.

#9 ''Solace and Solstice'' by Cory Harris  SYNOPSIS - An undertaker searches for meaning in his demanding life on an island where one person dies each morning.

#10 ''Curtain Call'' by Kristin Vlasto  SYNOPSIS - On opening night, a young girl must watch her parents play their parts on stage. She had been told that it was all make-believe, but as the climax builds, it all seems far too real.

#Honorable Mention ''Lubec Sunrise'' by Kris Faatz  SYNOPSIS - In small-town Maine, in the 1930s, aspiring sculptor Deirdre Moore decides to take a job at her uncle’s funeral parlor. Her husband, Rob, has his own ideas about what a woman should and shouldn’t do.

#Honorable Mention ''Rise and Set, and Rise Again'' by Jenni Cook  SYNOPSIS - An undertaker contemplates selling the family business. A chance friendship with a high school student causes her to rethink her position.

#Honorable Mention ''Petra's Lullaby'' by Kristine Haryanto  SYNOPSIS - Synopsis: Shimon, a man defined by his love for silence and solitude, is disturbed to discover that the corpse he’s been working on is livelier than one would hope from a dead woman.

#Honorable Mention ''Concerning the Death of Leighton Caulfeld'' by Alissa Butterworth  SYNOPSIS - A group of soldiers hold a hated embalmer’s body hostage and write a ransom letter to demand payment for its safe return home. A young bugler relays an opposing set of events that led to the embalmer’s death.

#Honorable Mention ''Notes on the Underworld'' by Ingrid Bohnenkamp  SYNOPSIS - Luxury death tourism is all the rage – but be sure to read the fine print.

#Honorable Mention ''Memo'' by Rick Wheelock  SYNOPSIS - A soldier documents the aftermath of a lost battle.

#Honorable Mention ''The Sky Burial'' by Alex Verma  SYNOPSIS - On a remote mountain in Tibet Donny awaits an unusual funeral rite. As the sunrise approaches he wonders if his father would have wanted to be buried this way.

#Honorable Mention ''Find the Light'' by Sarah Stevens  SYNOPSIS - Sole survivor of a virulent plague, Carika ritually prepares her crewmates on the mining station for their last resting place in the sun.

#Honorable Mention ''The Little Bird'' by Patsy Pratt-Herzog  SYNOPSIS - As an undertaker, Amanda tried very hard not to bring her work home with her, but it often had other ideas. Though she could lay the bodies of the dead to rest, their spirits weren't always so willing to sleep.

#Honorable Mention ''Readying the Dead'' by Matthew C Lamb  SYNOPSIS - Snooping around a funeral home gives a young soul a glimpse into the strange lives of the parlour employees. But in the end it's his own life—and death—that he learns the most about.

Sarah88 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sarah88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 1:06am
I am incredibly honoured and totally bowled over to have placed first. A huge congratulations to everyone. This is such a lovely supportive competition, and it has been an enormous pleasure to write alongside so many incredibly talented writers. I look forward to Flash Fiction!
AllyM84 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllyM84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 8:51am
Congrats to all the winners! While I was, of course, a little disappointed not to see my name anywhere, it was not unexpected as I had last minute, unavoidable commitments arise the day of the competition. I knew exactly what was wrong with my story when I submitted it and that was confirmed in comments. But, as always, it was a wonderful experience and this was my first time making the final round. I learn more about my writing with every round!

Congrats again to all the winners and I hope to find some time to read the stories soon! See you all next time (or in Flash Fiction!)  
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Sarah88 Sarah88 wrote:

I am incredibly honoured and totally bowled over to have placed first. A huge congratulations to everyone. This is such a lovely supportive competition, and it has been an enormous pleasure to write alongside so many incredibly talented writers. I look forward to Flash Fiction!

Congratulations, Sarah! Your synopsis drew me right in (I literally said "Wow!" out loud) and I can't wait to read your story.  

See you in Flash Fiction!
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 11:26am
Congratulations to everyone who made the final round, scored honorable mentions, and of course, placements at the end! 

I'm sorry I didn't get to share in the journey through the second and third rounds (HM in round 1 is a heart breaker, really!) but here's hoping for next time...

There's a tremendous amount of talent here and a wonderful supportive community on these boards. 

Look forward to seeing you next month in FFC!  :)
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
JimTownsend View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimTownsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 4:52pm
Hey, that's me! 6th place. Now I need to read all the stories of the people who beat me so that I can seethe with jealousy.  Congratulations to all! I wish I'd participated more on the forums. Either way, this process was fun and the shot in the arm my creativity needed. Can't wait for next time.
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by JimTownsend JimTownsend wrote:

Hey, that's me! 6th place. Now I need to read all the stories of the people who beat me so that I can seethe with jealousy.  Congratulations to all! I wish I'd participated more on the forums. Either way, this process was fun and the shot in the arm my creativity needed. Can't wait for next time.

You should also post yours so we can read it!! :)
#amrevising
LyndaD View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LyndaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 10:53pm
Just being in the third round has put me in rarefied company.  It's been a great experience, and while I didn't have much opportunity to leave feedback, I did tremendously enjoy the stories I read.
Looking forward to the FFC in July, and hope to see you all there.
roccapia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roccapia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 8:01pm

Even though I didn't make the top 20, I had such a great experience I wrote a blog post about it:

Congratulations to all the winners!
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by roccapia roccapia wrote:

Even though I didn't make the top 20, I had such a great experience I wrote a blog post about it:

Congratulations to all the winners!

Great blog post! And congrats on being a finalist - it's really an honor to make it that far.

See ya in Flash!
lisafoxiswriting.com
 Post Reply Post Reply