NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Publishing intern question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Publishing intern question
    Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 6:00pm
Sorry for posting this here but I figured that this is one of the few forums I visit from time to time that might give me a positive and thoughtful response. I'm applying for an internship with a publishing company and they've asked a question which I'm a little stuck on.

Question:
Identify a piece of content you consider to be well published and explain why?

I've got several ideas and am leaning towards saying 'the Times online service' for its innovation, though I'm pretty indifferent towards the articles they produce. Any suggestions how I might tackle the question?

Thanks in advance for any response. 
sutekh137 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sutekh137 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 9:22pm
Do you mean the NYT's paywall?  That thing is largely vilified by a lot of geek-dom folks, if so. Personally, I don't think "well-published" means "profitable", though I suppose that depends whence you are wishing to obtain an internship.  *smile*

To me, "well-published" would mean "worth".  Something that got the focus it deserved and wouldn't have otherwise been able to attain.  I still have no idea what that would be, but maybe something more along the lines of an expose' or work that turned heads when no one though it stood a chance?

It's clear I'm already out of my depth, but that never stopped me before...  To go classical with it, Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle" might be considered "well-published" because it brought to light some atrocities in the meat-packing business, and is still considered historically important in terms of the industrial revolution as well as in literature (I think).  If that is what they mean, find something with impact.

Hope this helps!
JoeK
==============================================
Slow down. In attempting to do everything at once, you're missing it all.
Irving_Red View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irving_Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 11:17pm
With acknowledgement to what JoeK said, it really hinges on your/their definition of "well published." I could see an argument for the NYT or BBC. They publish articles efficiently and are readily accessible to the public. I think it depends on what you think the publishing company wants to hear lol.
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 2:25am

Bloody Americans ... Trix means THE Times ... not the New York Times ... There is a world beyond your shores, you know!   Wink

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/

It is an excellent website and well published.  Great App version, too ...

You also might like to look at my hometown rag ...  http://www.theage.com.au/

dsaslav View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsaslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 9:08am
I'll put in a word here for McSweeney's - who have mastered the art of "media diversification" - I read them online and I even have one of the quarterly compilation DVDs of video shorts (called "Wholpin") they've produced as well - now that's diverse!

Start here to begin the journey:

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/

Edited by dsaslav - 09 Apr 2011 at 9:09am
David Saslav

NYCMidnight Participant since 2009
All Prior NYCM Prompts and Stories (except one) may be found beginning August/September 2009, at
http://dsaslav.blogspot.com/
sutekh137 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sutekh137 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Scarlet Screenwriter Scarlet Screenwriter wrote:

Bloody Americans ... Trix means THE Times ... not the New York Times ... There is a world beyond your shores, you know!   Wink

Indeed.  That's why I asked if Trix meant the NYT.

There are bloody Americans who do pay attention, you know.

JoeK

Edited by sutekh137 - 09 Apr 2011 at 3:35pm
Slow down. In attempting to do everything at once, you're missing it all.
adam View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Trix Trix wrote:

I'm applying for an internship with a publishing company and they've asked a question which I'm a little stuck on.

Question:
Identify a piece of content you consider to be well published and explain why?

I'm pretty indifferent towards the articles . Any suggestions how I might tackle the question?

Hi Trix, the way I see it they are looking to see if you will be a good fit for their approach to publishing. Also, if you look close they are asking for a piece of content...not a publication source. The reason I place emphasis on these two points is you will find out best if you are a fit and not waste your time by using a piece of content that spoke to you more so than someone else.

So, what is publishing and how does it effect content. Publishing in essence is two fold, the business side of writing and the polish that goes on the piece.   If you can find a publication that in general you like their polish (stream line ideas, blend clarity with flavor) and take that general tone and show how it has emphasized a specific piece (article or otherwise) explain that polish aspect, you will have your answer. Publishing creates and reacts to marketability, which in many cases also ties into a vision.

Annette Lyon has a website where she blogged about being a pro writer and one of the things she emphasized was understanding the editors style, before submitting. Publication can largely influence style and if it marries the creativity of the author everyone wins. (especially the reader)

If your main purpose is to get the gig, good fit or not, then look at the publication you are applying for and make sure you pick an example that is in line with their style. I humbly suggest going with what you love though and if it fits so be it.  I think it is the best way to do business.

Hope that is helpful, good luck and let us know how you make out.

Adam

Edited by adam - 09 Apr 2011 at 11:45am
Sugar heat2/ Addiction
Blessed are those who offer gratitude and good will easily and receive it graciously.
EttaG View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EttaG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 1:52pm
Adam, what a thoughtful and articulate answer to TRIX's question.  I learned something interesting and valuable...and, I didn't even think I needed the information.   In fact, I do.  Thank you!
R1 DONNY AND DOODY 2nd
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_j10VA7aZgtckJEcGVxci1rRDQ/view?usp=sharing

R2 SAFE AT HOME

adam View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 7:29pm
Etta, how nice of you to say! I wish I could find the link to that article on looking at things from the publishers point of view, it was really well written.
have a great weekend

Sugar heat2/ Addiction
Blessed are those who offer gratitude and good will easily and receive it graciously.
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 9:49pm

Adam is a living treasure! If you read his epithet, you will see where he is coming from. Very gracious and generous with comments and analysis, sometimes finding gold amongst my dross ... You are one of a kind, Mad Man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic