NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prompt: What did you get? How do you like it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanan187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 1:14am
Group 64:

Drama

A Cybercafe

And....

..... a snail.

SERIOUSLY?!
FF: R1 G64: Slow Spiral
SSC:
R2 G7: Little Sparrow
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 1:19am
Originally posted by ottersdaughter ottersdaughter wrote:

I've rolled a natural 20 with the genre - Sci-Fi is my happy place!

...but... 

A rooftop pool and almond milk gives me almost no immediate direction. Time to brainstorm!

otter, i would totally trade your rooftop pool for my sporting goods store lol
CobainaMercury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CobainaMercury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 1:20am
Romance. A breakroom. Chocolate-covered strawberry.

A little "on-the-nose" when I'm trying to break past the clich├ęs, but I've got a few ides rolling around.
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 1:20am
Originally posted by shanan187 shanan187 wrote:

Group 64:

Drama

A Cybercafe

And....

..... a snail.

SERIOUSLY?!

escargot? or stepped on as someone enters/exits?
THubbs72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THubbs72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 1:24am
I Got Historical Fiction - A University Library and a Microphone

I'm hoping someone could help me with clarification on Location regarding the Historical Fiction Genre. I got 'A University Library' as the location. Because I got 'Historical Fiction' and the story is a Fiction piece, does the event that I'm going to write about actually had to have taken place at A University Library or is there some latitude on the location?

For example, President Kennedy gave a commencement speech at American University, but it wasn't in the library. If I wrote about this speech would it have needed to be at the library?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Tony Hubbard
plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 1:38am
Originally posted by THubbs72 THubbs72 wrote:

I'm hoping someone could help me with clarification on Location regarding the Historical Fiction Genre. I got 'A University Library' as the location. Because I got 'Historical Fiction' and the story is a Fiction piece, does the event that I'm going to write about actually had to have taken place at A University Library or is there some latitude on the location?

For example, President Kennedy gave a commencement speech at American University, but it wasn't in the library. If I wrote about this speech would it have needed to be at the library?

They're okay with a little latitude in how you interpret your prompts, as long as the prompt is obvious. You don't have to pick a specific historical event, for example, you can just pick a historical period and make sure it's obvious that the story came from that period.

As far as location goes... here's what the rules say (under point #11):

Originally posted by NYCmidnight NYCmidnight wrote:

The assigned location (ex. baseball stadium) must be the predominant location used in the story.

You could have the majority of the story take place in the library, but the characters leave briefly to attend the speech elsewhere. I once had Mortuary as a location, and I used a mortician as my main character, but he didn't spend much time INSIDE the mortuary -- more in and around it, coming and going from the main location. The judges were fine with that. It just needs to dominate somehow.

Hope this helps!

jenspenden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jenspenden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 1:38am
Group 40:

Comedy: Party (I'm so freakin' excited. I do NOT write comedy, but I've always wanted to try...because, why not?)
Bartending School: Censored 
Sandpaper: Stern Smile 

I think I've got my general concept. Now it's time for bed. Good luck, everyone! 
jenspenden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenspenden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 1:44am
Originally posted by THubbs72 THubbs72 wrote:

Personally? I always play it safe and keep the story at the assigned location. If you just mention the library is involved, judges may not count it as the predominant location of the story. (This is what makes this part of the challenge...ugh, lol). 
JBOrlando View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBOrlando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 1:44am
Group 27

Fantasy
A Cooper Mine
A Tuxedo

The first time I read the assignment came out: a copper mime wearing a tuxedo.

I'm doomed. :)
ottersdaughter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottersdaughter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 1:49am
Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

Originally posted by ottersdaughter ottersdaughter wrote:

I've rolled a natural 20 with the genre - Sci-Fi is my happy place!

...but... 

A rooftop pool and almond milk gives me almost no immediate direction. Time to brainstorm!

otter, i would totally trade your rooftop pool for my sporting goods store lol

Honestly, I'd trade... but then, I've got my usual, "I can think of 5 good stories for every prompt except mine!" going on. Hopefully, my subconscious will pull through and this mess of a brainstorm will sort itself out while I'm asleep!
FFC 2017 CH1 - Playing with Gravity

2016 FFC & ShSc Finalist
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
  Share Topic