NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prompt: What did you get? How do you like it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scriptor05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 1:42am
I got Heat 59: horror/prison/hair dryer. This was my first time writing horror, so it was definitely a challenge. I went down the rabbit hole a couple of times, but finally developed a story line that worked.
R1, H46 Fairy Tale, Homelessness, Marathoner Lavinia and the Running Shoes
plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 5:50am
Originally posted by DemJFB DemJFB wrote:

I pretty much fell into an existential crisis when I saw I had "Fantasy/a dam/a wool blanket" but I'm actually pretty pumped about what I came up with now ^_^

Yay! Someone in the same boat... erm dam... as me! Glad you like your story!
Housejunkie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Housejunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 9:39am
GR21 - COMEDY - BLOOD DRIVE - HOT CHOCOLATE

I think I need to see a therapist.  I just learned that I'm not as funny as I thought I was...

Just got back from an international flight and in my jet lag fog, signed up for the competion. What was i thinking?  That said, got it done with time to spare but went the dark comedy route.  First time in this genre and it is definitely not my forte.
Ready my FF Round 1 story: Bloody Sunday Bush Drive https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Syy23mQ3M_bjhhOW1pb0d5RG8/view?usp=sharing

ajbosworth View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajbosworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 11:10am
Originally posted by JessBarratt JessBarratt wrote:

Originally posted by ajbosworth ajbosworth wrote:

Comedy, Thrift Store, Vacuum cleaner!

Here we go...

YOU CAN DO IT TEAMIE!

How'd it go?

I think it went okay - came in at 997.  I never write full on comedy so this was first for me - at least it made my husband chuckle.  :-)  
Joni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 11:36am
This was my first time doing a competition, and also my first flash fiction ever. I got heat 9 - drama, sweatshop, automotive battery....

I forgot about the challenge and made plans to go to the lake with friends Fri-Sun. When I got the assignment I freaked a bit, but what I thought was a decent story got written Saturday morning while hungover. Then had a realization while staring at my computer by the fire at around 3 in the morning that it had a good base, but needed almost completely rewritten. 

On the 3 hour drive home yesterday evening, I had it all worked out in my head. Sat down and rewrote it at around 9PM, and liked how it turned out, but I had 1600 words. Eek. Cut and chopped and edited to cut out 1/3 of the story, and managed to turn it in about 20 minutes before the deadline. I have no idea if it even makes sense anymore, but I got it done. 

Edited by Joni - 17 Jul 2017 at 11:38am
Auralia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auralia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 12:25pm
I got this one too. Kept wondering if it was an oversight to include a modern object with the historical genre. I am looking forward to seeing what others came up with!
Auralia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auralia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 12:29pm
Did anyone answer you on this? I had microphone and historical fic - ended up describing the object without using the word microphone. Wondering if that was a terrible move on my part.
ajbosworth View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajbosworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Auralia Auralia wrote:

Did anyone answer you on this? I had microphone and historical fic - ended up describing the object without using the word microphone. Wondering if that was a terrible move on my part.

I'm new to this contest and to flash fiction.
Is there a time frame to be considered historical?  My first thoughts would be to go turn of the century or 1920's/30's.  Is that too recent to be historical?
Auralia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Auralia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by ajbosworth ajbosworth wrote:

Originally posted by Auralia Auralia wrote:

I'm new to this contest and to flash fiction.
Is there a time frame to be considered historical?  My first thoughts would be to go turn of the century or 1920's/30's.  Is that too recent to be historical?

I'm new as well. There are genre descriptions on the website and anything 25 years ago or further back is fair game. However, it does really limit the timelines of the genre. Let's hope it's alright to have the object present but not named, as that's the approach I took!
Joni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by leslieksf leslieksf wrote:

Just submitted, and while I'm not too thrilled with the outcome, am relieved.  

"Drama/sweatshop/automotive battery" never quite set with me and it has been a long two days.  Any other group 9 folks out there feeling the same?

Looking forward to reading lots of stories in the days to come! Good luck everyone.

Finally scrolled far enough to find another group 9 person! Yours sounds intriguing, I'm definitely interested to see the different varieties of stories.

Mine didn't set well with me either, and I still haven't even looked at it since clicking submit. At this point, I'm not ready to see things I could edit to make it better lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122>
  Share Topic