Print Page | Close Window

And the Final Assignment is....

Printed From: NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting
Category: GENERAL DISCUSSION
Forum Name: Creative Writing Corner
Forum Description: Discuss NYC Midnight Creative Writing Competitions or Creative Writing in general.
URL: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4714
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 7:39am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: And the Final Assignment is....
Posted By: Gregonar
Subject: And the Final Assignment is....
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 12:05am
Horror/A Prodigy 

Replies:
Posted By: steph_84
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 12:18am
Looks that way... definitely not the genre I was hoping for, but I guess I'll have to do my best to somehow channel my inner Stephen King and get to work. ;-)

Posted By: Scarlet Screenwriter
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 12:40am

Huh?

Prodigy Meaning and Definition:

(n.) Something extraordinary, or out of the usual course of nature, from which omens are drawn; a portent; as, eclipses and meteors were anciently deemed prodigies.
(n.) A production out of ordinary course of nature; an abnormal development; a monster.
(n.) Anything so extraordinary as to excite wonder or astonishment; a marvel; as, a prodigy of learning.

Prodigy: words in the definition
A, Abnormal, An, Anciently, And, Anything, Are, As, Astonishment, Course, Deemed, Development, Drawn, Excite, Extraordinary, From, Learning, Marvel, Monster, Nature, Of, Or, Ordinary, Out, Portent, Prodigies, Prodigy, Production, So, Something, The, To, Usual, Were, Which, Wonder,

-------------
They seek him here, they seek him there, those damned writers seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven or is he in hell, that damned elusive Scarlet Screenwriter! (Oh, phuck, that doesn't even rhyme!)

Posted By: Irving_Red
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 12:54am
Daaaaaaaaaaaamit. I'm not a horror guy. My initial idea is more sci-fi/fantasy... Not sure how to approach this one : P

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 2:32am

Well, Red ... I was thinking the same thing ... if you the read the definition of prodigy, it sounds distinctly sci-fi ... were any of the ALIEN Quadrilogy sci-fi or horror?  FRANKENSTEIN?  I'm sure someone can name more sci-fi horror films

I'm thinking it will be a fine line ...

-------------
They seek him here, they seek him there, those damned writers seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven or is he in hell, that damned elusive Scarlet Screenwriter! (Oh, phuck, that doesn't even rhyme!)

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 2:57am
The Thing. There's a couple of others, I think. I would add that 2001: A Space Odyssey vaguely qualifies as well. 

http://www.imdb.com/chart/horror - http://www.imdb.com/chart/horror

I was gunning for sci-fi as well, plus a demented child...which fits right into the subject, so I guess I'm lucky? Had to read up a bit on the genre though... 

How's everyone doing? I've an outline, some pre-writing, a short list of things to mention and too much coffee............ trying to find some setups that I can upset horrifically and some truly bone-chilling truths that disturbs the myth about the charitable heart of human existence. Don't want to give away anything though....you're all pretty tough competition! 

Posted By: hoist
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 7:23am
Oooooh, I gotta be careful... I mentally fist-pumped when I first saw the prompt. That should probably be a good thing and it would be  if I weren't a lazy jerkface who becomes easily complacent and refuses to proofread.

Ay-ay-ayyyyy.Ermm

I got a pretty solid clue where I want my plot to go, and my first ~300 words give me that nice tasty feeling,  but at this rate I going to be cramming too much in those last few hours. O Maxwell House, grant me guidance!

(good luck errrrrbody! :D)

-------------
http://locustpocus.blogspot.com - THE RADLEY HOUSE

Posted By: Wordless
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 7:53am
8 hours later and I have my rough draft finished. It's clocked in at 2300 words. Writing horror always leaves me feeling a bit disturbed.  

Posted By: kburoz
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 8:27am
hmmm okay, well i should probably get started - i meant to stay up last night but fell asleep and awoke to the horror/prodigy combo. Not really what I wanted but I guess I will see what I can brew up in my head.

Goodluck everyone.

K

Posted By: Donovan
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 9:30am
Stewing at 466 words, half of which will need to go as they're just providing my own scaredy-cat brain with back story. I hate horror stories. I hate to be scared. B-lows.

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 9:42am
Just got a night's worth of sleep lol. I have 150 words so far... 

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 12:25pm
476. Have three paragraphs that read like they're from 3 different stories. Luckily, they're scenes from the beginning, middle and end. Save me, outline..... T-minus 11.5 hours

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 12:45pm
I'm Miserable. 

Hm. Good idea! Child prodigy writer crashes in the woods and gets saved by his biggest fan! Yes! I'm onto something.

Posted By: londongirl
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 1:13pm
Horror? Heh, heh, heh.

Scarlet - when I saw 'prodigy' I immediately thought of a child prodigy, or something being 'prodigious' as in producing a lot of high quality work. The meanings you quoted up there seem rather arcane.

Seems to me the challenge here is to avoid the obvious.

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 2:18pm

It was the "something out of the usual course of nature" that got me ...

-------------

Posted By: BoobTubeJunkie
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 2:53pm

Aw man, I'm so jealous of this assignment.  If I weren't down for the count with a miserable cold, I might play along anyway just for fun.  Hope the writing is going well for all the finalists!  Good luck!

-------------
Check out my book https://t.co/WAHiqXpqoO" rel="nofollow - Battle of the Butts and my movie https://www.graveintentionsanthology.com/" rel="nofollow - Grave Intentions !

Posted By: Trix
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 2:55pm
I've still got 0 words, I'm at a complete loss on this one. Like the previous round, I'm spending too much time trying to avoid cliches and obvious plots and worrying about whether my diversions away from the assigned genre and subject will divert too much. But at least I had a week last timme now its nine hours! Argh...time to get writing.

EDIT: Does anyone reckon that they'll let a war story count as horror?

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Donovan Donovan wrote:

I'm Miserable. 

Hm. Good idea! Child prodigy writer crashes in the woods and gets saved by his biggest fan! Yes! I'm onto something.

*slow clap* Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Trix Trix wrote:

Does anyone reckon that they'll let a war story count as horror?

Well, I for one can't think of anything more horrific than war ... That's a location, not genre or subject, so why not? It's only over on screenplay where they add the location to the challenge.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 6:49pm
Churning away....at 1400. I'm noticing a lot of repetition and excessive use of adjectives...good sign that I've no idea what I'm talking about. Crap. 

Posted By: topangarose
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by BoobTubeJunkie BoobTubeJunkie wrote:

Aw man, I'm so jealous of this assignment.  If I weren't down for the count with a miserable cold, I might play along anyway just for fun.  Hope the writing is going well for all the finalists!  Good luck!

I'm with ya' BTJ-- Starting turning my insides out early Friday morning or I would have played along too-  I was going to give my self another story to write for my birthday and thought... well, might as well start here!  Don't feel too good still, so no go. 

Hope the rest of you are having a ball!!  Never tried horror before, but i think it would be fun! Not sure how good at it I'd be... not so big on blood and guts.

-------------
https://forums.nycmidnight.com/r1-grp205-colorado-gold-comedy_topic46009.html" rel="nofollow - SS2022COLORADO GOLD

https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic46960_post492364.html#492364" rel="nofollow - Micro100rnd1

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 7:44pm
WHAT'S THIS??? IT'S EATING MY EAR!! 

Now I can't take the rest of my story very seriously... heh. I'm doomed. 

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 8:03pm
I've only got 231 words, i'm definately doomed.

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 8:06pm

That sounds like that Twilight Zone horror episode about the bug that burrows into your brain through your ear and out the other side. This guy survives and is overjoyed, until he finds out the bug likes a return trip!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 8:08pm

Hey, last night was daylight saving, so I got another hour down here! SUCKERS!

-------------

Posted By: sarahww
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 8:19pm
First draft finished, taking a break before revising. HP Lovecraft it is not! :) 

Still, I got my own adrenaline pumping just a bit writing my ending, so I'm going to consider that an accomplishment!

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 8:21pm
I thought I was going to have too few words, but now I'm at about 2,200 and I seem to have too many... This is definitely not my best work. I don't even have that much time to edit it...

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 8:24pm
Sigh... there's not much drama until the prodigy homunculus starts eating my protagonist...which doesn't happen until 1800 words in. So screwed. Terrible story. I hate my life. 

Posted By: windup.bird
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 9:59pm
Finished my final proofread about an hour about and submitted just now.  Incredibly tired -- but I'm pleased with the end product.

I'll definitely be cruising the forum to read/review the other stories, probably posting my own as well.  I had a lot of fun doing this ... great Christmas gift from my girlfriend Clap

-------------
Heat 1 - Endless Journey into Moral Oblivion https://docs.google.com/open?id=11qkBMJKOJrnvPSUL57L6C2Dm7fcIg2crTlkJYwnA3HOWSY6ZWrUlf5EOKvJ7

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 10:00pm
That was just terrible. No competition from me. Time to drink.

Posted By: kburoz
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 10:13pm
Agreed. And with that, pop goes the cork off the wine bottle. 

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 10:14pm
Weirdest, piecemealest thing I've ever done.  Picking over it now... not thrilled but it's tasty in parts, I guess. And I don't have to submit it while leeching off a stranger's wifi this time!

-------------

Posted By: VJuliette
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 11:08pm
Well, it's submitted. I've never written horror, and I'm not sure I hit the genre entirely. I'm such a scaredy cat! I finished up around 1100 words and decided I couldn't fit anything else into it without stuffing for the sake of stuffing. So, it's short. Oh well. It was a fun story to write, at any rate.

How'd everybody else make out?

-------------
SSC 2013 Second Round: http://forums.nycmidnight.com/r2-h5-horror-the-long-road-home_topic6922.html" rel="nofollow - The Long Road Home

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 11:42pm
Submitted! I'll start a title/synopsis thread round 9PM PST or 12AM EST if no one else does! 

My story ran for 2494 words, mostly fluff, I'm sorry to say. The biggest thing going for me was that you all only had 24 hours too, hah.  

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 11:44pm
Whew, submitted. 2432 words. Mine barely qualifies as horror -maybe in a more classical sense, like Faust. But I had to grab an idea and run with it. The 24-hour limit was definitely the challenge here. Kudos to everyone here!

Posted By: steph_84
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 11:51pm
Done and Done! I am so happy to have submitted; I slid right in there with 2498 words. Who would have thought, considering I had a completely different story in the afternoon compared to the one I submitted in the end.

Congratulations to everyone for sticking through it though, and getting it done! :-)

Posted By: sarahww
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 11:57pm
Submitted with 10 to spare. WHEW. Had the typical, last minute panic. 

That was a fun assignment, but incredibly challenging to write in just over 12 hours. I came in at 2,496 after cutting about 500 words. Somehow, I pulled it together. I did kind of creep myself out, though. :: Thinks about story, shudders ::

Congrats to everybody! Time to kick up the feet and watch some comedy! 

-------------
Round 2, Heat 4: Domestic Threat http://freepdfhosting.com/040dd6b241.pdf

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by Gregonar Gregonar wrote:

Submitted! I'll start a title/synopsis thread round 9PM PST or 12AM EST if no one else does! 
My story ran for 2494 words, mostly fluff, I'm sorry to say. The biggest thing going for me was that you all only had 24 hours too, hah.  

I felt sated at 1750 words, which was the same as NOX NAILPOUNDER.  It's not bad. I don't do fluff ... I'm a laconic, bare bones kind of guy ... I'll put title and synopsis up when you thread the needle ...

I got a bit of a fright ... we actually LOST an hour with daylight saving, which hasn't hit N'YORK yet, so the deadline is NOW!  I just got it in, but the countdown clock when Im logged on was ZERO ZERO ZERO ... so I seriously plotzed.  I wish I could put THAT in a horror story. 

My first atttempt at horror, too ...

-------------

Posted By: camiller
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 12:00am
Three minutes or something to spare!
2148 words.
That WAS a challenge after the birthday party. Just as I was about to switch to water someone showed up and gifted me with a bottle of Glenfiddich.

Posted By: camiller
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 12:04am
anybody want a couple of fingers of scotch?

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 12:57am
Hells yes. 

Posted By: Eapa
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 1:31am
I'm up for the Scotch, too, dammit.  Make that three fingers.

Came in at JUST 2500 words.  The real editor in me always comes out in the last two hours of something like this. Hack hack hack it down.

Posted By: az1080
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 2:30am
For the past three contests I've entered, I've had my father proofread my stories for the final round. This time, while he was on the phone marking corrections, my stepmother (a healthcare professional) yelled, "Great job, Adam! That's exactly how lungs are supposed to smell!"

Not sure if that means I wrote a good horror story or not. 

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 2:37am
Well Adam, it sounds like you've better odds than the two editor draftees I thought I had who went drinking and forgot. Useless young people. Give me some intelligent parents (or step-parents) damnit!  

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 1:11pm
I completely crashed and burned on this one and failed to hand anything in. Feeling a lil frustrated at myself at the moment (no change there then). Ah well, maybe next time.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 1:26pm
Don't feel too bad Trix. I almost bailed in the afternoon. I can't even bring myself to reread what I submitted. 

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 1:35pm
Heh, I've been griping to myself about how many serious writers made the finals... hopefully, more of you fell flat writing in a kitsch genre. Tongue

Posted By: Janet48
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 4:29pm
Hi,
Sorry I haven't checked in more.  I wasn't happy about the genre either, and am not sure my story will fly, but I got it in on time.  I also had to shave off a bunch of words because I was way over the limit.  This is the kind of thing people hate because it sounds so "goody two shoes" but I'm learning with every story, so that part of this is great!  I'll post my story too and will be VERY grateful for critique.  I already know some of the problems with it, like lack of character development.  I'm glad that I did this though. 

Hope everyone is recovering well.

-------------
Janet Landis
Heat 4 - Suspense/cremation - Righteous Fire
Finalist - Horror/a prodigy - Music Lessons

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 4:49pm
I was surprised to see a FINALS story posted already. I haven't received submission confirmation. Anyone else still waiting?

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 5:01pm
I'm still waiting for confirmation of submission too.  Isn't that the way it usually works?  I submitted by email and on the website just like they stipulate, but I didn't get any email confirmation that they received it.  I don't know the rules about posting your story as far as a time limit.  I recall with the first round there was either an email or some notice asking people not to post their final stories until after a certain time.  Any answers would be most appreciated.  Thanks!

-------------
Janet Landis

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 8:41pm
It takes them a few days to send the confirmation email. You aren't supposed to post your story until then, so if someone did, they effed up : P

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 10:35pm
Haven't posted mine yet, and I'm going to jump right over and read, "The Bard's Sacrifice."  Thanks for the info from a newbie.  By the way, stupid question on my part, I realize, but should short story title's be underlined, put in italics or in quotes when mentioned in a message like this?  Would it be in "The Elements of Style" for example?

Thanks, and I can't wait to read your stories!

-------------
Janet Landis

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 10:42pm
I'm a newbie, too, but no problem lol. It doesn't seem like anyone is too picky about titles around here. I usually just put them in quotes. 

Can't wait to read yours either. I'm sure it's more "horror" than mine : P

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Janet48 Janet48 wrote:

Haven't posted mine yet, and I'm going to jump right over and read, "The Bard's Sacrifice."  Thanks for the info from a newbie.  By the way, stupid question on my part, I realize, but should short story title's be underlined, put in italics or in quotes when mentioned in a message like this?  Would it be in "The Elements of Style" for example?

HAH. I wish I could insert a clever joke in a footnote...

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 11:31pm
By all means, do!  Although I think I "get" the joke of putting it into a footnote.  Best to you Gregonar, and may words flow from your mind to the page effortlessly!

-------------
Janet Landis

Posted By: dsaslav
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 1:42am
Go, Forum Posters!  I seriously, seriously hope we get to read the winning story this year.

Especially if it involves a prodigy humonculous.

Woo hoo!

PS: I doubt anyone cares when stories get posted here - they just don't want to have to deal with accusations of plot stealing based on Forum posts that get read influencing a submitted (or, I guess, re-submitted) tale.

-------------
David Saslav

NYCMidnight Participant since 2009
All Prior NYCM Prompts and Stories (except one) may be found beginning August/September 2009, at
http://dsaslav.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 2:07am

G'day Slava ...

Funny coincidence ... Gregonar and I exchanged stories by PM ... And were shocked to find we both used dated journals ... written in the first person ... By men whose wives had died ... And were eaten by their children ... But both stories couldn't be more different in the end ...

J'Accuse, Gregonar! Plagiarist! Plot thief! CANADIAN!

F

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 2:21am
Look Scarlet, 

You can either go with "Je t'accuse, Such-and-Such," with the comma in between, or "J'accuse Such-and-Such with no commas. The former correctly uses the reflexive, similar to "I accuse you, Scarlet..." (of finagling your French!) as opposed to saying directly, "I accuse Scarlet of..." 

Class dismissed.... Smile

Yeah, I can't imagine how the coincidence happened, except maybe we've similarly warped minds. I hope that no one else thought of cannibalistic prodigy-homunculi. 

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 6:38am

Bloody bilingual Canuks! Can't make up their minds if they're Arthur or Martha ... French or English!

Yeah, pretty warped ... But you're like a 20 something and I'm an old fart... I thought about it and I think it's not a quantum leap in imagination to figure the easiest way to make a horror about a prodigy is to have them bite the hand that feeds them ... Literally!

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Scarlet Screenwriter Scarlet Screenwriter wrote:

Yeah, pretty warped ... But you're like a 20 something and I'm an old fart... I thought about it and I think it's not a quantum leap in imagination to figure the easiest way to make a horror about a prodigy is to have them bite the hand that feeds them ... Literally!

Hmm. I guess that's true. So what's scarier as a cannibal, an over-sized baby or a cute little girl? 

Posted By: londongirl
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 12:17pm
Well, I am certainly looking forward to reading those two stories at least.

As it turned out, there was NO WAY I could have participated this past weekend. I'll hang around and critique the finalists, though (when I say critique, I mean criticise, obviously).

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 5:06pm
I won't even try any French - but what kind of naive, ignorant mind never had the thought occur to her of having a cannibalistic child?  I've got to get out more......

-------------
Janet Landis

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 5:20pm
Heh. I guess it depends on whether you think of the prodigy as the bad guy (or girl or thing) or the protagonist. I thought it was natural to be fearful of "prodigies." In retrospect, maybe it was too obvious? It might have been more ambitious to try it from the prodigy's POV. Reading the posted synopses, it seems that more ppl chose to go with the prodigy as the protagonist rather than the beast of fear.

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 5:58pm
Sorry, another newbie question, I'm not used to forums. (and this after participating in NaNoWriMo which has forums galore!!) Where are the synopses (sp?) posted and is it okay to post your synopsis before they confirm your submission?  Thanks!

-------------
Janet Landis

Posted By: dan_hinge
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 5:58pm
:) both protagonist and evil mad scientist nemesis are prodigies in mine!  Sort of anyway.

Originally posted by Scarlet Screenwriter Scarlet Screenwriter wrote:

... And were shocked to find we both used dated journals ...

...And there was me thinking I was being really original by making mine a series of dated letters.  Oh well.

-------------
R3 FF 2020 - G9 - https://forums.nycmidnight.com/r3-g9-awaiting-fire_topic36658.html" rel="nofollow - "Awaiting Fire"

Posted By: dan_hinge
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 6:01pm
Also, Janet, synopses can be found here:

http://forums.nycmidnight.com/title-synopsis_topic4719_page1.html - http://forums.nycmidnight.com/title-synopsis_topic4719_page1.html

Titles/synopses are fine to be posted before confirmation.  [Look at me sounding like a regular!]

-------------
R3 FF 2020 - G9 - https://forums.nycmidnight.com/r3-g9-awaiting-fire_topic36658.html" rel="nofollow - "Awaiting Fire"

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by dan_hinge dan_hinge wrote:

And there was me thinking I was being really original by making mine a series of dated letters.  Oh well.

Hey, Tin Tin ... Using a calendar as a structure is common in literature .. And on TV ... Like those little dates in the LL corner, like timecode ... Of course, diary entries are also first person. I used a journal as a linear structure, but the diarist also flashes back as he recalls, so I can tease the story out that way ...

This is only my second short story ... I'm usually a screenwriter, so my stories are always a bit filmic ... I did write one novella for my daughter ... Some thing ... Cuts around like a film script ...

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 11:00pm

I won't even try any French - but what kind of naive, ignorant mind never had the thought occur to her of having a cannibalistic child?  I've got to get out more......

I guess the imagination can run riot while you're breastfeeding. Every time my kids ask for something, I just say I am a daddy spider and they are just eating me ... That's a parent's lot ...

But as any aracnophile will tell you, the mother usually eats the father after sex and the kids eat the mother ... But isn't that like real life?

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 7:08am
Ah, the beauty and elegance of nature.  You've given me a whole new world view to bring to my Haiku poems! (ewww)

Thanks!

-------------
Janet Landis

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 4:53pm

Ah, the beauty and elegance of nature.  You've given me a whole new world view to bring to my Haiku poems! (ewww)Thanks!

5-7-5-2 to you, too!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net