NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pictures on a screenplay?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TravelsOfJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pictures on a screenplay?
    Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 9:05pm
I'm going to go ahead and guess the answer will be: no! 

I'm in the Historical Fiction / A Castle / A Skull group for this round. 

My story revolves around a real mosaic that was dug up some time ago. 

I'm guessing it's a disqualifying offence to put a picture of that mosaic on the title page of the script? 
<a href="http://forums.nycmidnight.com/ch1-gr7-action-adventure-the-dealer-2049_topic9728.html" rel="nofollow">Round 1 - The Dealer 2049</a>
turtle7313 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turtle7313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 11:25am
Hmmm, thats a good question. I've not seen anyone do that before and I havent seen anyhing regarding images in the rules. I would reach out to feedback@nycmidnight.com or via the twitter account and ask. They normally respond in a decent amount of time. I'm in your group too, interested to see where you go with your story! Good luck. 
FFC CH1 GR 38 - A Broken Family - http://bit.ly/2ufVHFu
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 7:36pm

The short answer is no .... and the long answer is, too ... if the real mosaic is real and well known, name it in the slug line and briefly describe it ...

NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by Scarlet Screenwriter Scarlet Screenwriter wrote:

The short answer is no .... and the long answer is, too ... if the real mosaic is real and well known, name it in the slug line and briefly describe it ...
You've used pictures on your title pages in the past, haven't you? I remember a car...
"What a day! What a lovely day!"
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by NilesPerry NilesPerry wrote:

You've used pictures on your title pages in the past, haven't you? I remember a car...

You mean as an illustration here?  To add a bit of character and interest to the entry.  Like the cover of a dime store novel? ... Yes ... The Citroen DS Goddess ... and I usually put a pic will all of my short story and screenplay entries ...

I thought the question was having reference pictures in a screenplay.  On reflection, I would advise putting any necessary reference picture or map in the BACK of a screenplay as a kind of appendix. I did that myself once when I wrote a screenplay about a very particular model of airplane. 

rwe16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwe16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 1:07am
Lots of good info here from Scarlett, Niles, Adreens (on another post) and the lot.  I 've see photos in specs that sold, but I would probably lean to including them only if they show something beyond the obviously imaginable. 

Though a friend and mentor who once headed the story dept of a major small studio in the old days told me of other pictures of nubile and available women agents would include in the scripts  (if he recommended them) that reached his desk.  I even found one myself in an old stack of scripts i came across elsewhere.  I assume yours would not  be of  that ilk. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic