NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oddball prompts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaHaBone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oddball prompts
    Posted: 03 May 2017 at 8:35am
Is it just me, or does it seem like we as writers create better, more interesting material when the prompts are more counter-intuitive and strange? I feel like my best work in these contests has come from prompts that don't immediately make sense together.
R1:H44:Pressing the Flesh
R2:H3:Beef
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 8:55am
Originally posted by MaHaBone MaHaBone wrote:

Is it just me, or does it seem like we as writers create better, more interesting material when the prompts are more counter-intuitive and strange? I feel like my best work in these contests has come from prompts that don't immediately make sense together.

Yes! Too easy to fall into cliches when the prompts go together. The oddball ones are the most fun, too!
jmsimon View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmsimon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 10:09am
I agree. It challenges me as a writer, and helps me create a story I never would have thought of otherwise. For the most part, I like all the scripts I've written for the competition. One of the oddest prompts I got was Mystery / Potable Water / A Hotel Maid. The hardest was probably Rom Com / Gentrification / A Fortune Teller.  
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 3:13pm
I never realized how much playing Story Cubes with my kids has improved my ability to piece anything together! If you don't have a set, I recommend them, even without kids. They're a great tool for just rolling a bunch of dice and forcing your brain to arrange and tell an oral story, timed, using only the pictures that come up.
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by MaHaBone MaHaBone wrote:

I agree ... the wackier the better. 

In the years I've been here, I've had just about every genre and have met them all ... the body of work I have now is amazing, in both short stories and screenplays.  I have always said NYCMMM is like a gym for creativity and we do a different circuit every round.

I would be interested to know how they generate them ... like three roulette wheels?  They obviously don't check for repetition, because I once had romantic comedy + food three times in a row!  Onion rings, bake sale and steak ... then Ambo driver, fireman and architect ... almost a triple crown!  The best three flash fictions I ever wrote, I think. 

I have now done a fourth effort set in a fantasyland I created in 2011 for a fairytale short story called NOX NAILPOUNDER ... I have followed this with three screenplays ... DOX COFFINKNOCKER, BAX BALLASTLIFTER and now LOX HASHSLINGER ... getting fantasy/fairytale is now something I look forward to, like a crap shoot! 

I am also a huge fan of political satire and historical fiction ...

I would have thought by now I would be stale, but I never seem to have difficulty in coming up with some amazing works ... The genie in the bottle and I are great friends ... my Mind Palace is well explored ... however you see it ...

Edited by Scarlet Screenwriter - 03 May 2017 at 9:21pm
paulene.turner View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulene.turner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by jmsimon jmsimon wrote:

I agree. It challenges me as a writer, and helps me create a story I never would have thought of otherwise. For the most part, I like all the scripts I've written for the competition. One of the oddest prompts I got was Mystery / Potable Water / A Hotel Maid. The hardest was probably Rom Com / Gentrification / A Fortune Teller.  

I was in your heat for the fortune teller/gentrification rom com! I missed your piece on the forum.

CH 1 Gr 48 POLITICAL SATIRE; FAIR MEANS OR FOWL
FFC2: H15 I,SPY
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulene.turner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 11:27pm
Scarlet, are you still using your writing method of just thinking till the last few hours, then writing like buggery? Personally, I always write more than one, and sometimes more than two - never content with what I have. Which means I usually present something produced in the final 24 hours. Dunno what that says about me.
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 2:32am
Originally posted by paulene.turner paulene.turner wrote:

Scarlet, are you still using your writing method of just thinking till the last few hours, then writing like buggery? Personally, I always write more than one, and sometimes more than two - never content with what I have. Which means I usually present something produced in the final 24 hours. Dunno what that says about me.

Paulene ... yes, I am nothing if not a creature of habit ... I get the idea in my head usually minutes after reading the prompts and I stick to it ... I write the title and logline ... then churn in my mind for a few days ... this one was a week gestation, so I started writing maybe two days before the end
... the entries are always due on Sunday afternoon down here ... very civilised.

I was on a self-imposed writing retreat for a week at a place near the beach editing a feature, so I gave myself more lead time ... however, most of it was written on one continuous stream of consciousness ... with some things just coming out without me noticing until I reread ... As I often do, I wrote the last line/scene first, so I knew where I was going ...

This one was easy, because I placed it in an anarchic Fantasyland I have developed over the years ... this is the fourth entry set in this place ... I have put them all up on the first page if you want to read/reread the others ...

NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulene.turner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 3:49am
Originally posted by Scarlet Screenwriter Scarlet Screenwriter wrote:

I was on a self-imposed writing retreat for a week at a place near the beach editing a feature, so I gave myself more lead time ... however, most of it was written on one continuous stream of consciousness ... with some things just coming out without me noticing until I reread ... As I often do, I wrote the last line/scene first, so I knew where I was going ...

This one was easy, because I placed it in an anarchic Fantasyland I have developed over the years ... this is the fourth entry set in this place ... I have put them all up on the first page if you want to read/reread the others ...

That's great. All the hair-tearing panic gone, and just the fun left.  Fantastic! A few more comps and maybe we'll all we there!

Edited by paulene.turner - 04 May 2017 at 3:50am
Adite View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 9:50pm
Some of the prompts were so interesting, I decided to download all of them. Plan is to practise writing short scripts by writing as many as I can based on these prompts. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic