NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to Screenwriting!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

I bought the recommended book "The Hollywood Standard," finished reading it today, then set up Writer Duet to convert my short-story challenge effort into a script. (By "convert" I mean "I typed it in as if it were a script and not a short story.")

This is hard work!

The dialog part is difficult enough, but handling the change in POV is hard, as well as how to frame screenplay shots correctly.

Well, the best way to learn is to try.

I agree.  I played around with the Writer Duet software but didn't get as far as you with conversion.  I think I may just frame out my story, focus like mad on my dialogue, and then leave at least a day or so to get things formatted right.  At least that's the plan for now.

Should be interesting!  The good news is I am going in with 0% optimism for the contest, advancing... any of that nonsense.  Tongue I'm looking at it as an opportunity for a prompt, a deadline, and a chance to try something different.   No pressure.  No expectations.
aerolissa View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerolissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

I bought the recommended book "The Hollywood Standard," finished reading it today, then set up Writer Duet to convert my short-story challenge effort into a script. (By "convert" I mean "I typed it in as if it were a script and not a short story.")

I think converting a short story into a short script is a fantastic way to practice! 

Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

Should be interesting!  The good news is I am going in with 0% optimism for the contest, advancing... any of that nonsense.  Tongue I'm looking at it as an opportunity for a prompt, a deadline, and a chance to try something different.   No pressure.  No expectations.

That's the spirit! You never know... once you get a knack for the fundamentals, it might all fall in place and be your new preferred means of writing Wink Or not, but at least you will have tried!

If either of you, or anyone else, too, would like an extra set of eyes during the competition or otherwise, feel free to drop me a PM. Power to you both for trying something totally new.

Edited by aerolissa - 03 Apr 2017 at 12:29pm
SS -
R1
R2

SP -
https://tinyurl.com/jw99rvw
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 1:36pm
Thanks, aerolissa!

I'll keep you in reserve.

I am finding that the hardest hardest thing is transitions!
SWC R2 H3 | The Mardi Gras of Serafine
SWC R1 H45 | Best of Breed
aerolissa View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerolissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 1:56pm
Ooohh yeah, they're hard to make as smooth as in short stories. Confused Just remember that "CUT TO:"s and "FADE TO:"s are best used sparingly. 
SS -
R1
R2

SP -
https://tinyurl.com/jw99rvw
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by nicayal nicayal wrote:

Thanks to everyone who offered tips and suggestions. I registered as well and I've never written a screenplay either.

I ordered The Screenwriter's Bible, by David Trottier (possibly recommended here?) and was planning to use Scrivener's screenplay template, although I may look at Writer Duet. It sounds a little more intuitive.

I'm looking forward to this, even though I'm pretty intimidated to try something new like this under a time crunch. That may be the only way I ever try writing a screenplay though, so cheers to new things, right? :)

I used Scrivener's Screenplay template and it was OK.

1. I was using Courier Prime as my font for the PDF output upon compile, but there's a truly weird bug in the compile feature when using Courier Prime: the very bottom of the script page includes the tips of the next page's first line. Only the very top dots, so it looks like Morse Code. Setting the output font to Courier New solved that. I haven't tried Courier Final Draft yet, but I might.

2. The output isn't smart. There are specific rules that are rules and not just conventions or suggestions, such as "Don't break dialog where the character name is the last line on a page and the dialog is the first line on the next page." If there's a setting in Scrivener to work around this, I couldn't find it.

This led me to compile my script as a Word doc, then use Word to check for inappropriate line breaks and insert a manual page break.

I love Scrivener and have been using it to publish books since 2010, but I've found that for certain things, it's easier to compile it into a Word doc and then use Word to do the final steps.

I might look into purchasing Final Draft as a software product for screenplays if I do ore of them.
SWC R2 H3 | The Mardi Gras of Serafine
SWC R1 H45 | Best of Breed
tonicwater79 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonicwater79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 4:22am
This will be my first screenwriting competition ever...and now that we have our assignments, I'm super excited to get started!

Screenwriting is completely new to me, but I've read a heap of plays to get the general feel about what is important and what isn't, and how to best communicate things to the audience.

Good Luck everyone!!
"She holds the pen that spells the end, she traces me and draws me in."

Reez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 7:20am
There are a couple of scripts that are generally considered structurally perfect by the pros and I think it's really helpful to read these.

Chinatown
Network
Shawshank Redemption
Rosemary's Baby
Pulp Fiction
When Harry met Sally

There are also some great specific genre screenwriters who are exemplary of the craft such as Shane Black for Action adventure or Nora Ephron for Romcom.

Obviously the list is far from exhaustive but I think it's a good start and it would be great to get suggestions to add to it.

Hope it helps. Let the imagination rip and have fun writing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic