NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nerves!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 1:49pm
My tricks are as follows:

I take the prompt, and think "what would be the least predictable story here?"

Then I create a general idea of a plot that meets the requirements but isn't the predictable story.

I start thinking up characters to fit the story, with names or personalities.

I write a little about their characteristics. I do some small dialogs with them. I try to figure out what connects them and what disrupts them. What do they like about the other person, and what jerks them off. I begin to overwrite madly, making them say the most outlandish things and act in the most astonishing ways. The key here is, I think, to make them as sharp and bright and different as possible.

Then I try to fit them into the plot where they fit.

The first draft is just putting the chess pieces on the board.

I leave that for a day.

Then I come back and start killing off unneeded characters and scenes. "Could I do this with a line vs. a scene?"

that's the second draft.

Then the third draft is highlighting the characters and the plot through word choices and rewriting.

That's the longest, but as I do so, the plot and the characters start shining.

To me, the key is strong characters followed by forceful actions. In a story IN MY OPINION a character or speech or scene that isn't strong and sharp isn't going to be interesting to the reader.

Then, when I've trimmed the script down to 253 pages, I start the denial part about having to reduce this to a 12-page script.
shanan187 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanan187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

I have NO IDEA what I am doing but am just going to have fun with it.

I have recently adopted this philosophy for just about everything in life. If the shoe fits... LOL

Seriously though, I've struggled with the same feelings of fear, crushing self doubt, inadequacy, imposter syndrome, you name it. When it comes down to it, you just have to tell that nay-sayer in your head to shut up, and then do your thing. Or maybe turn that voice into a character, write him or her into a story, and then kill 'em off!
FF: R1 G64: Slow Spiral
SSC:
R2 G7: Little Sparrow
Tynnyt View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tynnyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 11:00pm
Thanks for the supportive words everyone. 

This week has been a tough one. I tried to take the 'eyes down, get it done' approach, but that didn't seem to go so well. I was thrown from the start with romance as a genre. That's so far from my comfort zone it's untrue. Give me political satire any day!

I'd actually booked the week off work with the intention of putting a few days to this and then doing a lot of other stuff for 'me'. Unfortunately, those obnoxious little head demons came back in full force and I've spent most of the week staring at the blank screen feeling increasingly sh*tty.

About 18hours ago I had a page of a script I thought couldn't go anywhere. It's now 4am here and I've just submitted something I'm not really happy with and I'm pretty sure doesn't cover one of the prompts.

That said, I *did* submit! Wahoo!

It's a comfort to know I'm not the only one who goes through this stuff. I feel a bit daft sometimes talking about it, but it's got to the point (esp with writing) where it's having such an effect I know something needs to change. Confused
Annerocious View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annerocious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 11:50pm
I had this exact feeling for this prompt! It was hard labor all the way through, and second guessing. I do like the structure and deadline of this competition to get me to go to work, but the arbitrary elements and judging and time lock all work against getting a flow going and being happily surprised by what turns up.

No good advice to get around it other than don't only slave away doing this. I got stuck once and just started a novel for no other reason than it's paralyzing, this form. Reading all these answers, though, it's obviously not just us. 

Round 1 Heat 21 The Gentle Sex

DeniseMcD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeniseMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 6:06pm
I'm with you!!!! But this time I was out of the country with no email and didn't get the assignment till Thursday afternoon. One day to ferment the perameters in my brain, one day to throw something together and only enough time left for a spell and grammar check. I re-read my submission on Sunday and wanted to throw up. SO disappointing that I couldn't have done something better.
Annerocious View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Annerocious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by DeniseMcD DeniseMcD wrote:

I'm with you!!!! But this time I was out of the country with no email and didn't get the assignment till Thursday afternoon. One day to ferment the perameters in my brain, one day to throw something together and only enough time left for a spell and grammar check. I re-read my submission on Sunday and wanted to throw up. SO disappointing that I couldn't have done something better.

That sounds like a nightmare. Good for you for finishing. Never surrender!
Round 1 Heat 21 The Gentle Sex

DeniseMcD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeniseMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 8:56pm
Nope. Muddled through. Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic