NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Members of groups not posting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimpics66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Members of groups not posting
    Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 11:27am
I've noticed that some of the heats have only one or two entries posted. There are also some with none. I realized that some of those people just may not be participating in the forums, but what happens with scoring if there really is a heat with one participant? Do they win their heat by default?
plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 11:59am
That doesn't happen. The entry fee ensures that very few people would actually just not submit anything. A lot of people are working or away and can't post right away... you'll see stories continue to be added for a long time. Generally we get between 3-7 stories posted for each group by the time the next challenge starts... sometimes none of the stories that advance have been posted in the forum. A lot of people don't want to put their stories out to the public for various reasons, or just don't have the time to participate in the forums.

Even in previous years when there were fewer entries, I've never seen a time when there weren't at least enough stories to rank the top 15 in every group and still have a few people on the forums with zeros... If it did, then I assume they'd just assign points to the remaining stories, and hope that more people joined in from the group in challenge 2... but most people won't just throw the money away. Even if you get a zero in the first challenge, you'd still want to compete in the second -- even if only for the feedback.
FFC 2018

Ch1 Gr62 -- The Other Side of the Coin (Thriller)
kimpics66 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimpics66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 12:46pm
Good to know! Thank you!
Linda Muse View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Muse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 10:25pm
I entered for the first time last year and never posted any of my stories until now (I didn't think they were good enough). 
Despite this, I got points for both my stories from the judges. I don't think the points given on this forum have anything to do with the points the judges allocate.

Edited by Linda Muse - 20 Jul 2017 at 10:27pm
plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Linda Muse Linda Muse wrote:

I entered for the first time last year and never posted any of my stories until now (I didn't think they were good enough). 
Despite this, I got points for both my stories from the judges. I don't think the points given on this forum have anything to do with the points the judges allocate.

There are no points given on the forum, just critique. Once the judges give us our scores, many of us update our post to reflect the score the story received from the judges.
FFC 2018

Ch1 Gr62 -- The Other Side of the Coin (Thriller)
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Muse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 11:44pm
Sorry! I was referring to the stars. What are they about?
Katwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 12:34am
Originally posted by Linda Muse Linda Muse wrote:

Sorry! I was referring to the stars. What are they about?

The stars are just an indication of how long you have been a participant in this contest. A new participant and old one etc. It has nothing to do with judging.
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Muse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 12:40am
Ah!!!! Thank you!
enngeecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enngeecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 12:46am
I think I would be far too shy to post my story on the forum. I love reading everyone else's work, but I'm not sure I'm ready to put mine *out there* yet. I'm looking forward to reading what the judges have to say and being able to improve on my work, but I've read and re-read it so many times and seen so many errors in it now that I'm just too mortified to think of putting it up in a public forum when I've read so many amazing stories.

NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Muse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 1:36am
I can definitely understand where you are coming from. I only decided to put mine "out there" because I I need constructive feedback. I know we get feedback from the judges in September but I can't wait.
Yes, I agree that there are many amazing stories on this forum but there are also some not-so amazing stories. I think that's great because we can all learn from each other and help each other become better writers.

Good luck with your story.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>