NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mattrick's Tool Shed - CH2 Feedback Requests

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattrickBT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mattrick's Tool Shed - CH2 Feedback Requests
    Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 4:21pm

Mattrick's Tool Shed

With story posting time arrived, I decided to set up shop. Do you want honest, thoughtful, in-depth feedback with no strings attached, and no obligation to do a read swap? Do you want your story broken down paragraph by paragraph or sentence by sentence or even word by word? Are you having problems with your structure and pacing? Are you planning on expanding on the story for publication? Does your atmosphere leave something to be desired? Struggling with your genre? Lack of conflict or character? Do you feel your theme could be better presented? Do you simply want a general opinion on the overall product? Well, you've come to the right place! All you have to do is ask!

Length of feedback will depend on what you are looking for. I am not reviewing this as if for submission to NYCM (since it’s after-the-fact), so how well you implement your location and object is only available upon request.

Please provide:

-Story name/genre and link

-What you are looking for help with: Story structure, character, description, sentence structure, pacing, continuity, genre help, help with word count, a general overall impression, or all of the above. I want to only give an opinion where you would like one.

-How you would like feedback delivered: Story Thread, via PM, via e-mail/Word file, in this thread.

Since genres are so important, below is a list of my best and worst genres. If your story is in one of the worst, my ability to provide feedback will be limited by experience, knowledge, and my own personal taste. If your story is one of my specialty genres, then I can provide a more thorough and experienced critique. If you're looking for non-genre specific feedback, I don't think this will matter.

Specialty Genres:

Horror

Thriller

Suspense

Drama

Ghost Story

Middle Road Genres:

Sci-Fi

Action/Adventure

Comedy

Political Satire

Crime Caper

Spy

Mystery

Worst Genres:

Fantasy

Fairy Tale

Historical Fiction

Rom-Com

Romance

I will try and return feedback within 3-5 days, but there are no guarantees.

Samples:

Below are excerpts of my work so you can gauge for yourself my capabilities in terms of my specialty genres. Not all genres will be represented (I've never written a ghost story, but I understand them well) and some are combination. If you would like the feedback I am apt to give, it is your right to decide for yourself if I have the talent to help you out how I believe I can. I have chosen these not merely as I believe they are strong examples of several elements of various genres combined, but they are also short, complete sections of longer works.

Horror - The Catacombs - The Cyclone of Grief (850 words):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kbLKhnomrMUB9TPvmWMCWTz0C2Is2Pwpd_eGs34yvZQ/edit?usp=sharing

Horror - The Catacombs - The Man Lost in the Woods (1350 words):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bKbOCTZuHyQScNL_JZgz1FFbmYC_88zZCOP225jOWeo/edit?usp=sharing

Drama - Nova Kane Vol. 1 - Returning Home (900 words): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KfxdBHH8h2mmo42OmLjKu35S5wc5Oe973Vn0lBp2bz4/edit?usp=sharing

Drama - Nova Kane Vol. 1 - Christmas Dinner With Friends (2200 words): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TIxKPohUPi3YRgULHp6lkPXxGCZrVDwmbHqoksbNhlE/edit?usp=sharing

DISCLAIMER: This is a tear-free environment. Feedback will be as honest and as helpful as possible. You might love or despise what I think. You might agree or vehemently disagree with what I think. I do not sugarcoat. The overall impression might be that I think your story "sucks", but I will explain why I think that and how I think the story can be improved, while highlighting what works. Remember any criticism is levied against THE STORY, not the writer. It is impossible to judge your overall capabilities as a writer off 1,000 words in a story made on the fly in 48 hours, especially in a genre outside your wheelhouse. If you don't feel you can separate yourself emotionally from your work in terms of criticism, this may not be for you. It is not my goal to insult or demean, but I am also not going to mince words. My interest is in improving your writing, not side-stepping your feelings. In the end, as glowing or negative as the feedback may be, this is ONE opinion of ONE story from ONE person. Whatever your feedback, it is to be taken with grace and professionalism.

Edited by MattrickBT - 20 Sep 2017 at 4:25pm
4th - R1 G52 The Bad Man

R2|H14The Hour
MegOverman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MegOverman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 4:40pm
You are welcome to critique my R2 Suspense. The name and link are in my sig.

I'm not after anything specific (dealer's choice), and leaving feedback in the signature-linked thread is fine.
Have a glass of wine and take it like a writer.

R1 - A Waste of Stars (Drama)
mhelgens View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhelgens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 4:47pm
I could go for some brutally honest feedback! You can just leave it on the forum-- the link is in my signature. I was assigned horror, and I don't know how to write horror. I am not especially concerned whether my story fits the horror genre for the sake of this competition, (I don't think it does) but I would be interested to know what genre you think it could be considered and how I could have made it more Horror-y. Beyond that, all comments are fair game, and I'm a writer... I'm not sensitive. Go nuts.
Read my R1 Story: LINK= https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic51959_post550543.html#550543
MattrickBT View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattrickBT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 6:43pm
I've added you to the queue. I have two ahead of you two. Might be a day or two.
4th - R1 G52 The Bad Man

R2|H14The Hour
Killthyselfies View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Killthyselfies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 2:09am
All of my Beta readers were smiling yes men.
I know of and already see a bunch of problems in my work but would love to hear some feedback from someone who isn't going to consider my ickle'feewings. Especially as comedy is totally out of my wheelhouse and this is my first time. Would love a kick in the butt in the right direction. 

This is the link to my forum page,

Sci-fi and Fantasy are more of my wheelhouse, so if you want any reciprocal feedback just hit me up. 
Cheeeeeeeers mate.

Alexis_H View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexis_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 6:34am
I really like my piece and the story I know is lying behind it so I would very much appreciate any and all feedback to consider when I move forward and expand it. Call me a sadist, to seek out criticism, but it is a tool for improvement.

The link is in my signature for "Cherry Bomb". Happy to have the feedback posted there so I can keep my comments all in one place.

I am aware that the story was "too big" for the 1000 word limit, hence the need to expand and answer many questions which will probably arise.

Archive
250 R2
<a href="https://tinyurl.com/YACCMMDD" rel="nofollow">250 (R1)</
csderuyter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csderuyter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 7:59am
If you have room on your list for one more, please add me. Link is in my signature below, and I'm fine with feedback left on the forum here.

I'm not looking for anything in particular other than actual feedback that I can use to make my writing stronger. I appreciate your disclaimer. :)
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattrickBT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by MegOverman MegOverman wrote:

You are welcome to critique my R2 Suspense. The name and link are in my sig.

I'm not after anything specific (dealer's choice), and leaving feedback in the signature-linked thread is fine.

I'll be getting to work on it soon. I'll be up later tonight.
4th - R1 G52 The Bad Man

R2|H14The Hour
gregthomas77 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregthomas77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 9:31pm
This sounds like exactly what I am looking for and since Thriller is one of your listed specialties, here is the link to my thread:

I will gladly take any and all feedback you want to give (be brutal), but specifically, I often get feedback that I sometimes make leaps in the story that are hard to follow. I feel like maybe I did that here, but I am not sure.

As far as where to give the feedback, I would say in the story thread would be great.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can offer.
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattrickBT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 4:39pm
Sorry Meg, I had an unexpected guest last night and now that same guest wants me to go have some drinks with them as they're going through a bit of a crisis, so I won't get to it until tomorrow.

4th - R1 G52 The Bad Man

R2|H14The Hour
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>