NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

making it to the next round

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spitfyre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: making it to the next round
    Posted: 25 Apr 2009 at 6:44pm
This is my first time entering this contest. I was wondering if anyone who has done this before could tell me: Is it usually only the winner of the heat that makes it to the next round? From the rules, it sounds like it could potentially be many more people, but since there are 30 heats instead of 20, I'm wondering if it's likely that more people will advance. Thanks!
shawnman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2009 at 7:36pm
The winner of each heat is guaranteed a spot in the next round.  If there were really strong submissions in a heat, the second or even third place finishers COULD advance.

There is no set number as to how many can advance, so it's completely up to the judges.
marnie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2009 at 7:41pm
    Isn't it 1st, 2nd & 3rd advance???
leapinglilies View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leapinglilies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2009 at 8:23pm
no marnie i think it is just first place guaranteed to move onto to round two. they select up to a certian amount throughout the groups to move on. their choice.

great title. sounds creepy. it must be a very very dark comedy.
mra061818 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mra061818 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 8:42am
Last year, the top two finalists in each round made it through to the finals. The top 5 were named, but just #1 and #2 positions lived to write again.
RiverHelix View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RiverHelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 8:03am
Just coming off of the 2009 Short Story challenge, it was basically #1 and #2 that advanced from each heat(top 5 with honorable mention). There was some grumbling from the malcontent about if a heat had more than 20 contestants, there should be more than just 2 finalists. I assumed the same rules would apply to this competition as well, but who knows.
M'Stories@: http://riverhelixstudios.com/www.riverhelxstudios.com/Stories.html
joeld42 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joeld42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 8:33am
The rules are up on the main page. nycmm should do a better job summarizing them but they're out there if you read through them.

This is my understanding of the rules,  keep in mind my word isn't official, read the full rules for the details:
  • All first place entrants will advance.
  • Judges will choose up to 40 "first runners up" to advance.
  • Judges will choose up to 20 "second runners up" to also advance
Only the first place in each heat are guaranteed to advance.

They don't have to fill all the "runner up" slots, and in fact they probably will choose significantly less based on past results. Basically, if this works like last time, all of the first place scripts will advance, most rounds the 2nd place will also, and a few the third place will.

last time I entered this (2007, not last year), I had a second place script but did not advance.

Edited by joeld42 - 27 Apr 2009 at 8:40am
leapinglilies View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leapinglilies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 1:41pm
joel, that is sad.

to get a second place and not advance!

my heart goes out.   : )
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic