NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hypens - word count?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hypens - word count?
    Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 7:08pm
Hello!

Came into this problem before with a Reader's Digest competition (100 words, nightmare!)

Does a hyphenated word count as one or two words?

Edited by DHogan - 16 Jul 2017 at 7:08pm
Andrea View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 7:15pm
I go by what Word recognizes.  It seems to count hyphenated as one word, so that's what I do.  I take the word count it gives me.  So far, I haven't had a problem.  Other applications use different word counts, so if you take your piece to say, Grammarly, it will give you a different count than Word. Word seems to come in a little less than some others, but so far NYC has accepted that word count.  
Archon1995 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Archon1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 3:43pm
With the penalties for going over length (see the contest rules) and different counts depending on what program/style guide you write with, word counts are a constant source of anxiety. I believe there were issues with word counts previously, and that they verify them now.
Rasputin View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rasputin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 4:12pm
OpenOffice seems to count differently from Word and there are various online tools that count the words in a copy/pasted block of text differently again. I usually check my word count against five or six different tools, pick the highest one and work to make sure that one reaches no higher than 995. For me it's the best way to put my mind at rest.
DHogan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 5:19pm
Eek! Well, fingers crossed. I got to 998 but there were enough hyphens to send me over 1000 Pinch
De Chelonian Mobile View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote De Chelonian Mobile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 5:39pm
The count in Microsoft Word is probably the safest one to use, since NYC Midnight accepts .doc and .docx formats for submissions. I don't know if there are other programs that would show a lower word count, that use .doc or docx., but if the goal is squeezing in a few more words, I would probably play it safe and stick with the Microsoft Word count.

My word count was exactly 1000 this time. I'm not worried about it at all.

Edited by De Chelonian Mobile - 17 Jul 2017 at 5:41pm
MattrickBT View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattrickBT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 5:48pm
hyphens connect two words to make one like grand-parent...em dashes count as two words. Words connected with ellipses count as one accord to word.
Hrafnkel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrafnkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 5:50pm
I hyphenate aplenty and always hit 999 or 1000 in Word. You needn't worry about this (or contractions).
2016 FFC, 6th Place Overall
2017 FFC, Ch1 G46 Picnic at Versailles
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 7:37pm
Just-separate-every-word-with-a-hyphen-and-you're-OK.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic