NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How's it going?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllyM84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:17pm
1536 and still plugging away. The story is getting a little away from me but I think that's ok. I just write until it leads me somewhere then I go back and fix the rest to lead to that spot. I am a little nervous but not too worried yet. Fantasy is harder than I thought it would be, though. I am sticking to fantastical elements within our world to avoid building a whole new world. Hopefully, that flies...

Hoping my ramblings lead me somewhere solid, soon. 
Tynnyt View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tynnyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:27pm
500 words and I'm at point Scrap-It-Start-Again. 

May have to implement Plan Wine this evening to get things going... 
r.arora View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r.arora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Tynnyt Tynnyt wrote:

May have to implement Plan Wine this evening to get things going... 

This is not a bad idea.  My nice quiet house has been invaded by my family back from their outing.  I may be implementing Plan Wine very soon.  Or Plan Pack All My Notes, Notebook, and Computer and Get the Hell Out of the House. 
kylesolo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylesolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 2:25pm
I'm doing much better than last time, where I had written my idea out and was quite far into it - before I scrapped it all the day before it was due and barely got my work in on time. This time, at least, I stuck with my idea and got it down on time. But that doesn't mean my story is any good, of course.
Trails View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 2:39pm
Joining you all on the wine! Having to write a rom-com is killing me.

Got 1700 words done but half of it is awful and one paragraph is just floating at the bottom of my page because it's funny but it doesn't really fit in anywhere.

Actually it would be great if someone could settle a contextual worry for me: in the Sates, if an old person falls over are they described as having "had a fall"? There's a real unconscious distinction in the UK - young people fall over, but old people "have falls". One of my jokes centres around this idea so I want to check it won't get lost in translation!

Thanks!

Tom
De Chelonian Mobile View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote De Chelonian Mobile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Trails Trails wrote:

Got 1700 words done but half of it is awful and one paragraph is just floating at the bottom of my page because it's funny but it doesn't really fit in anywhere.

Actually it would be great if someone could settle a contextual worry for me: in the Sates, if an old person falls over are they described as having "had a fall"? There's a real unconscious distinction in the UK - young people fall over, but old people "have falls". One of my jokes centres around this idea so I want to check it won't get lost in translation!

Thanks!

Tom

I would kill to have RomCom!

I would need to see the whole joke in context to see if it makes sense. We don't really use the phrase "had a fall" in the US, but it still might be fine in context. If you want to email me the paragraph I'll give it a look. I'm a long time comedy writer. jonclarkshow@gmail.com
Trails View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 2:49pm
Excellent, thanks a lot!

Email on the way..
readingrid View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote readingrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 3:16pm

Thanks!

Tom

Either would work. I could read "My grandma had a fall" or "My grandma fell over" and interpret them more or less the same. 

Or, like, "I drank too much wine because I had one day to go until the deadline and nothing to show for it, because I was assigned Romance and I have never read/written/had romance and because I worked all day yesterday and half of today and because Romance is dumb and because my first draft hurt it was so bad so I scrapped it, and that evening I had a fall/fell over." Like that!
readingrid View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote readingrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 3:19pm
(I guess there is a slight difference in the connotations of "had a fall" vs. "fell over," depending on the context, but I would say not drastic enough to ruin a joke?!?!! But don't listen to me, I've had sooooooo much coffee! Wacko)
Trails View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by readingrid readingrid wrote:

Thanks!

Tom

Either would work. I could read "My grandma had a fall" or "My grandma fell over" and interpret them more or less the same. 

Or, like, "I drank too much wine because I had one day to go until the deadline and nothing to show for it, because I was assigned Romance and I have never read/written/had romance and because I worked all day yesterday and half of today and because Romance is dumb and because my first draft hurt it was so bad so I scrapped it, and that evening I had a fall/fell over." Like that!

Ha!

Excellent. Thanks very much :)

You're struggling too then, yeah?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>