NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Giving and Receiving Feedback

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Giving and Receiving Feedback
    Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 8:23pm
There are quite a few new forum members here - welcome all! It's great that so many stories are being shared and so many people active in the forums. I've been a bit overwhelmed with work at the moment, and still have heaps of stories to read in the next month before we get to Round 2… but I will get to  them!

I've also noticed that there's a wide range of styles in the comments on stories - which is good. I love getting feedback from multiple different viewpoints. For myself, I'd also like to see more - more comments about exactly why you liked or didn't like a part of a story, how it made you feel, what worked and what didn't. With so many stories, it's easy to dash off a quick -- "wow, nice job" but it doesn't necessarily help either writer or reviewer. 

Personally, I've found that pushing myself to give detailed reviews of the stories I read has helped my writing as much as it helps the person whose story I reviewed (maybe more). That's one of the great things about this forum. So, for all of you who feel that you can't give a detailed review, remember -- you're an informed reader -- anything you think is valid, and we want to know! 

Even if you thought that the story was the most awesome thing ever written -- tell us specifically what you liked - what resonated with you. What lines went straight to your heart. Remember critique doesn't mean criticism… you don't have to include nitpicks with every review, though they're also helpful, sometimes there's something bigger to talk about (characterisation, plot, etc.) - and sometimes you were too drawn into the story to notice any errors -- but what drew you in?

Here's an article that I found helped me formulate what types of reviews are more helpful:

Take a look - and challenge yourself to give a detailed critique of the next story you read. I guarantee it will help you as much as the author you're critiquing...

Edited by plkphoto - 18 Aug 2015 at 8:28pm
FFC 2018

Ch1 Gr62 -- The Other Side of the Coin (Thriller)
Eggcorn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eggcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 8:20am
I just wanted to second this! Smile

It does take a little more time, which is why I'm still in the process of returning the favor and will be for the next month (With work I can't dive in as much as I could the first week), but it is worth it. It makes you think about writing in more detail, and once you figure out what specifically you liked or didn't about other pieces, it may actually help you better formulate what you like or don't about  your own stuff, plus it is very helpful.

I think sometimes people are afraid of offering advice or sounding negative. But we are writers. Critique and striving to better our writing is part of the bargain. At least, it should be. While for a rare few it may be a "surprise" that there is something that needs work, I think it is safe to say the majority of us are surprised if readers say there isn't anything that needs work. We already know it needs work. We just want to know which parts. And there can be disagreement. Between readers, between author and reader. That's fine. The whole process is educational.

Thanks for posting the article plkphoto.
tcFlash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tcFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 2:32am
I'm with you on this plkphoto and Eggcorn. I'm not a great reviewer, but I do try to say something substantial on every review.  Sure, I'm a little concerned about sounding too negative, especially when my story was far from stellar.  But you've already said it, plkphoto, the strength of this forum, of the whole competition in my opinion, is in the give and take here.  I've taken some tough blows on my story, and I welcome every one of them.  My writing of flash fiction improved so much after 2014, I was not about to miss this one.  And it had nothing to do with judges, though I am thankful for them as well. But my writing improved because of the input here and because I was willing to look closely at stories and tell what I saw.  Good post here, plkphoto.  
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 1:09am
Thanks, plkphoto. Good thoughts and good ideas.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

Post Reply Post Reply