NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting Revved Up for Flash Fiction!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Puffindor Puffindor wrote:

Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Originally posted by Puffindor Puffindor wrote:

[QUOTE=Suave]I am still thinking on it.  I will be three days into my traveling Vietnam during the second challenge in September, but I am leaning towards joining anyway.

Make sure to visit Hoi An! Some really great restaurants there. The Indian restaurant Ganesh in Hoi An is amazing, as well as Minh Hien (vegetarian)! At Ganesh, make sure to get the pineapple lassi. I have not come across pineapple lassi anywhere but in Vietnam in all my travels so far. Mostly Indian restaurants serve mango lassi. The pineapple one was so good though! And do a boat tour in Ha Long Bay!

Will be spending the first three days in Ho Chi Minh, then taking a boat to the coast, Vung Tau - where I will be doing my writing if I enter.  Will make Vung Tau my home base, renting scooters to travel around a little.  Mostly I just want to soak in a little Nam, eat and swim.  I am betting that the Lassi served in Nam is not as "good" as what you might find in India. . .

In India, the lassi I am speaking of, they spike with different cocktails of drugs.  If you are lucky it is only grass.  If you are on some side street it can be something that puts you to sleep for a while.

Edited by Suave - 20 May 2017 at 11:41am
Round 1 story THE BOOK
LyndaD View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LyndaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 10:24pm
I just realized I'll be traveling between lake Tahoe and Oregon the first weekend.  I'm still thinking of doing it, since I usually write at night anyway and we'll be in hotel rooms then.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 9:05am
I have paid my money.  I am entered!
Round 1 story THE BOOK
LyndaD View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LyndaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 10:52pm
Not getting the promotional code to get the five dollars off...Thumbs Down
The post is visible on Facebook, but when I click on the 'verify' button, nothing happens.

Edit: I figured it out.

Edited by LyndaD - 08 Jun 2017 at 10:57pm
jdarmody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdarmody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 6:18am
Just registered for the Flash Fiction Challenge a few days ago. Really excited! Who here has done it before?
De Chelonian Mobile View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote De Chelonian Mobile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 12:19pm
I had a great time in the most recent Short Story Challenge, and I have been in a handful of flash fiction contests, but this will be my first NYC Midnight Flash Fiction. I'm already counting down the days until July 14th! Not only am I excited about participating, but two of my daughters are also entered (ages 26 and 20) and my favorite college professor. There is a great group of writers here, and my experience with SSC couldn't have been better.
R1 G13 Twisted
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by De Chelonian Mobile De Chelonian Mobile wrote:

I had a great time in the most recent Short Story Challenge, and I have been in a handful of flash fiction contests, but this will be my first NYC Midnight Flash Fiction. I'm already counting down the days until July 14th! Not only am I excited about participating, but two of my daughters are also entered (ages 26 and 20) and my favorite college professor. There is a great group of writers here, and my experience with SSC couldn't have been better.

Good to see you back! And holy moly, it should be interesting having your daughters and professor in the mix with you! I'm trying to convince a few friends to join in with me as well.

Waiting on the results of screenplay but have a huge mark, in Sharpie!, on my calendar for FFC Round 1. Can't wait!

See you then! Smile
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 1:24pm
Doing a practice round on this one (from the website) during my lunch break today: Horror / A rooftop / A wheelchair
1000 words is not that many words! Oh man.
FFC Challenge 1 The Exchange
fistofcurry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fistofcurry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 1:50pm
I was a finalist in last year's FFC. Sadly I won't be able to compete this year, as I have a conference on that first weekend and my thesis proposal is due soon.

How I approached each challenge was, once I received the prompt, I immediately brainstormed six story ideas that could be written down in a single sentence. From there, I took my two favorites and turned each into a five sentence paragraph. In that paragraph I had to capture every major thing that happened in the story. Once that was done I went to sleep. The next day I picked out my favorite of the two and started writing. I didn't really stop to edit until the first draft was finished.

The two biggest flaws that happen in both FFC and SSC are this: there is not as much time and care given to the ending as to the beginning, and too often contestants try to tackle a bigger story than will fit in the word limit. It's better to write a story with a smaller scope and do it well than half-ass a bigger tale.
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by fistofcurry fistofcurry wrote:

I was a finalist in last year's FFC. Sadly I won't be able to compete this year, as I have a conference on that first weekend and my thesis proposal is due soon.

How I approached each challenge was, once I received the prompt, I immediately brainstormed six story ideas that could be written down in a single sentence. From there, I took my two favorites and turned each into a five sentence paragraph. In that paragraph I had to capture every major thing that happened in the story. Once that was done I went to sleep. The next day I picked out my favorite of the two and started writing. I didn't really stop to edit until the first draft was finished.

The two biggest flaws that happen in both FFC and SSC are this: there is not as much time and care given to the ending as to the beginning, and too often contestants try to tackle a bigger story than will fit in the word limit. It's better to write a story with a smaller scope and do it well than half-ass a bigger tale.

This is a brilliant approach! And I agree, sometimes the endings (my own included) can get Stephen King-like... the resolution disappoints relative to the build-up.  I tend to do the same with brainstorming - come up with the first three ideas that hit my brain and then choose based on the one I feel will be the most unique, the one that everyone else already didn't think of, too. And write like mad for my first draft. But I think the one-sentence, and five paragraph approach would be so helpful in ensuring a story is the right "size"

Thanks for sharing! Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic