NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

They never received my Challenge 1! Now what?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balabean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Schrifty Schrifty wrote:

Originally posted by Balabean Balabean wrote:

It seems they didn't get my second submission.😢 I wonder if an 11 total has ever been enough to advance?

What makes you say that?  We don't usually get "hey, we got your story!" confirmations until about 3 days after (although there usually is an auto-response of "hey we got something, don't know what it is yet but thanks!" email that sends right away.)

Email the judges/contest runners.  It's early yet, they might have emergency procedures in place.

I was panicking because I didn't get that auto response. Turns out they did get it! Still in the running for round three!
Andrea View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 7:56pm
For some inexplicable reason (like not reading all the suggestions!) I've never emailed a backup.  Going forward, I'm wondering how people handle their anonymity?  Do you do a cover page like the one we fill out before submitting?  Or, do you just email with the story with your group number??? 
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Andrea Andrea wrote:

For some inexplicable reason (like not reading all the suggestions!) I've never emailed a backup.  Going forward, I'm wondering how people handle their anonymity?  Do you do a cover page like the one we fill out before submitting?  Or, do you just email with the story with your group number??? 

I've always sent the back-up because I am OCD; just email the story directly to the NYCM email address (funnily enough, my gmail account shows his name with the NYCM address). I remind him of my group number, prompts, and story title and inform him that I am emailing him the story as a backup.

I would assume (hope) that he simply cross-references with Submittable and then triages as appropriate for the judges. That may be why it takes a while before we get the official "go" to post. 

And we think we're crazed at submission time. Imagine trying to manage and coordinate 2000+ stories submitted through two different sources. Yeesh.

lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 8:13pm

I just email the identical anonymous, NYCMidnight-formatted document to feedback@nycmidnight.com, and I use the suggested email subject "FFC2017 Challenge #2 Story" -- that's what they say to use in the confirmation page.

But I wouldn't stress about a wrong email title -- the people behind the contest may be a little behind the curve as to responding quickly, but they do respond. They honestly try to improve their work every contest.

Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

Andrea View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 8:33pm
Thanks, LisaFox and StephenMatlock, 
I'll make sure to do it next time I submit.  

Bookworm33 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bookworm33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 10:32am

I try to include the same info from the form on the actual submission page. I include my name, group number, word count total, and title in the body of my email, just in case. I've always assumed that if they need to use the backup, the person who retrieves it will be forwarding it on to the judges after removing all that info--so someone will know where it belongs, but the judges won't know who I am.
SSC R1: Hard Lessons
Tonatale View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonatale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 10:37am
As a procrastination effort, I ran through scenarios where an 11 and 0 could advance:

You'd need the top 4 in the first round to also be the same top 4 in the second round. So those 4 who are above you stay above you.

Then the people behind you could not move past 11:
The one who scored 10 must get 0-1
The one who scored 9 must get 0-2
The one who score 8 must be 0-3
This ensures your 11 and 0 beats a 10 and 1, etc. by tiebreaker

But then someone who previously scored a 0 would get an 11 and you would be tied for 5 at 11 points.

The first tiebreaker does not work since you both have a 0 and and 11.

The second tiebreaker is the highest score in round 2.

So you could advance with a 0 and 11, but not an 11 and a 0.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12