NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Have You Posted Your FFC Story?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 10:55pm
As of today: 502 stories posted

*Every* Group has at least one story posted!!

Only 1 (1%) have a single story.  (Group 18, where are you?!?! I mean, seriously – do we hafta skim the roster, search the forum for your names, and PM you all? 😉)

Only 2 (3%) have two stories, which means 3 (4%) have 'fewer than three' stories

• We like to have three - a chance to see at least two other takes on the prompts
  • If you are in Groups 42 or 44 come "tip the scales" and get your group to 3 stories posted!!

Three stories is kinda the 'ideal minimum' but the 'ideal' is 'at least 5' - a chance to really get a feel for the range of things happening in the group.  

5 (7%) have three stories. 

• If you’re in Groups 27, 46, 62, 66, or 68 your groupmates could still use some company!

16 (20%) have four stories. 

• If you’re in Groups 4, 5, 8, 10, 17, 20, 23, 26, 43, 59, 61, 63, 72, 74, 75, or 76 – just one more story will get your group to five stories.

BTW - that also means that 56 (70%) of our groups have five or more stories posted!!  

Edited by nixie - 18 Aug 2017 at 12:09am
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 12:10am
Saturday is the last day I will be updating the Master List for Challenge 1.  There is still time (Group 18, lookin' at YOU!).... :)
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 11:17am
Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

As of today: 502 stories posted

*Every* Group has at least one story posted!!

Only 1 (1%) have a single story.  (Group 18, where are you?!?! I mean, seriously – do we hafta skim the roster, search the forum for your names, and PM you all? 😉)

Only 2 (3%) have two stories, which means 3 (4%) have 'fewer than three' stories

• We like to have three - a chance to see at least two other takes on the prompts
  • If you are in Groups 42 or 44 come "tip the scales" and get your group to 3 stories posted!!

Three stories is kinda the 'ideal minimum' but the 'ideal' is 'at least 5' - a chance to really get a feel for the range of things happening in the group.  

5 (7%) have three stories. 

• If you’re in Groups 27, 46, 62, 66, or 68 your groupmates could still use some company!

16 (20%) have four stories. 

• If you’re in Groups 4, 5, 8, 10, 17, 20, 23, 26, 43, 59, 61, 63, 72, 74, 75, or 76 – just one more story will get your group to five stories.

BTW - that also means that 56 (70%) of our groups have five or more stories posted!!  

502 stories, that's awesome! Do we know how many participants this year in total? 
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

502 stories, that's awesome! Do we know how many participants this year in total? 

@2400 (80 groups)
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 3:49pm

@2400 (80 groups)

So over a fifth posting. On par with prior years, or more?

(It "feels" like more - I haven't gotten to read nearly as many stories as I did last year!)
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 4:09pm

So over a fifth posting. On par with prior years, or more?

(It "feels" like more - I haven't gotten to read nearly as many stories as I did last year!)

30 July:

And.. we finally tipped the scale: with 20% more contestants than last year, we have 21% more stories posted than were posted for challenge 1 last year. 
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 9:53am
The same has happened with the SSC.  What has made the difference is the pooling of all the posts into manageable and useable formats that people don't have to fight through just to read others stories in their genre.  When I first started with NYCM, you really had to search to find what you were looking for due to no really fast and firm ways to post.  So, mostly, people just read what everyone else was reading, and a few stories got lots of reads and most did not.  We have Nixie to thank for starting us off, not unlike Tesla and AC over DC, or Arnol Schwarzenegger over Jhon Frinkel.

Edited by Suave - 20 Aug 2017 at 9:46pm
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

The same has happened with the FFC.  What has made the difference is the pooling of all the posts into manageable and useable formats that people don't have to fight through just to read others stories in their genre.  When I first started with NYCM, you really had to search to find what you were looking for due to no really fast and firm ways to post.  So, mostly, people just read what everyone else was reading, and a few stories got lots of reads and most did not.  We have Nixie to thank for starting us off, not unlike Tesla and AC over DC, or Arnol Schwarzenegger over Jhon Frinkel.

I think you have a point, there Suave. There are 44 PAGES of stories in the FFC forum right now, and that's just challenge 1. In updating the ML, I find that I have to go back a dozen or so pages to make sure I have everything posted within the last 24 hours, even a week or two in.  I think the folks doing Master Lists are making things much more visible/accessible, and I think you are right on target that more people are getting more feedback than in former days as a result. :) 
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 9:49pm

The same has happened with the FFC.  What has made the difference is the pooling of all the posts into manageable and useable formats that people don't have to fight through just to read others stories in their genre.  When I first started with NYCM, you really had to search to find what you were looking for due to no really fast and firm ways to post.  So, mostly, people just read what everyone else was reading, and a few stories got lots of reads and most did not.  We have Nixie to thank for starting us off, not unlike Tesla and AC over DC, or Arnol Schwarzenegger over Jhon Frinkel.

I think you have a point, there Suave. There are 44 PAGES of stories in the FFC forum right now, and that's just challenge 1. In updating the ML, I find that I have to go back a dozen or so pages to make sure I have everything posted within the last 24 hours, even a week or two in.  I think the folks doing Master Lists are making things much more visible/accessible, and I think you are right on target that more people are getting more feedback than in former days as a result. :) 

Haha.  I always place a post after the last story I posted in the list, and never had to go back.

nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 11:30pm

Haha.  I always place a post after the last story I posted in the list, and never had to go back.

I do that as well - but i fish the pages of posts in the forum so that if someone doesn't know to comment, I still see their post. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234