NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Object - Literal/Figurative

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frewine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Object - Literal/Figurative
    Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 3:49pm
I'm really struggling with the FFC this time. 

I'm wondering how literal I have to be with my object: A spotlight. 

Does it have to be a literal spotlight or could it be figurative or metaphorical? 

I'm trying to avoid obvious plot devices and cliches.

Any thoughts or advice? 
There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed - Ernest Hemingway
DreamThief View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreamThief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 7:56pm
Hi Frewine,

I'm a total newb at this, so I don't know how helpful my thoughts would be (and obviously not very useful at this point in time for this round, haha). I'd think that a figurative or metaphorical spotlight would be fine, but you would probably have to come right out and make the whole 'spotlight' comparison to make it abundantly clear to the readers/judges where your spotlight is. Something like 'he felt the pressure of their regard like a jailhouse spotlight, pinning him where he stood', which may be a bit heavy-handed depending on what sort of feel/story you're going for. Or it might not.

But I really don't know, and if you're worried I'd probably just play it safe and have an actual physical spotlight in there somewhere. *shrugs* But spotlight seems like an amazing prompt, since it could so easily be non-literal and I'd be disappointed if the judges didn't accept that. (My object prompt of sandpaper, for example, would be a bit trickier to wrangle into figurative-ness, haha!)

Hope that helps, at least in the future,

DreamThief.
Archon1995 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Archon1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 10:39pm
The judges are fickle beasts. Some will applaud a creative interpretation; others will mark you down if you don't have a literal, physical object.

The same goes for all the prompts. I know someone from a previous competition who drew Fairy Tale and wrote something akin to the tales collected by the Brother Grimm, Hans Christian Anderson, and Charles Perrault. One of the judges was pretty brutal with their critique, and it was clear they wanted something less dark. We refer to them as the Disney Judge now. (No idea if they continue to judge, but that situation is one of the reasons we now have the opportunity to give feedback on judges as well.)

The judging is subjective to the individual judge's tastes. It always is, unless they're judging by the AP Style guide. Which, truthfully, is how it is when you try to get your babies published as well. Your story may be astounding, but if it doesn't fit what the editor needs they'll regretfully pass on it.

You can't play it safe. Write the story using the interpretation that sings, and post it for feedback here in FFC 2017 sub-forum when they open it. It's nice to win a prize, but better to get feedback that improves your writing overall.  Wink
Frewine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frewine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 11:48pm
Thank you both so much for your feedback. It's much appreciated.
There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed - Ernest Hemingway
 Post Reply Post Reply