NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genre definition requested

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teamevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genre definition requested
    Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 3:12pm
Some genres are very easy to define. My question is about drama. Does this imply present day, realistic stories, or just stories that have the elements of drama in them? Basically need to know if I will get penalized for going away from a modern day story.
NYC Midnight View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYC Midnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 3:25pm
You can find general definitions for the genres at http://www.nycmidnight.com/genres.htm, but please keep in mind these are just guidelines and not explicit instructions on what to write.  For Drama, you may set the story in a different time than modern day, but always make sure that the predominant elements of the assigned genre are used rather than letting the time period dictate the story.  For example, a dramatic story set in the future with many descriptions of this world involving technology, ideas, an alternate world, etc... may run the risk of being considered more of a Sci-Fi story rather than a Drama.  

We hope this helps.  Use your best judgement, write the best story you can, and you should be fine.  Good luck!

Edited by NYC Midnight - 23 Jan 2016 at 3:27pm
Next up is the Flash Fiction Challenge 2017 kicking off July 14th.
JJ_84 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJ_84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 2:32am
I'm feeling a bit worried after reading this thread. I have been assigned action/adventure and mine reads as dystopian/adventure, I'd say both themes are equally predominant. I assumed it would be okay on the basis that Hunger Games was listed as an example genre on the nycmidnight genre page, but am now worried about being disqualified. I've spent many hours writing and editing and feel it would be too late to change the story premise. 

Any thoughts/suggestions would be really appreciated. 

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYC Midnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 9:03am
@JJ_84  If both themes are equally predominant, to be on the safe side, we would recommend slightly tweaking to make sure there is more action/adventure than sci-fi.  That being said, it may very well be fine with the judges as it is now.  We would recommend getting one or more people you know to read the story and comment on how it reads to them before tweaking or submitting.  We hope this helps.  Good luck!
JJ_84 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJ_84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 6:57pm
Thank you NYC, that's really helpful. 

MayMightCanCould View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayMightCanCould Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 11:15pm
This is the exact type of thread I was hoping to find. I have been assigned Fantasy as a genre, and because Fairytale is sort of a genre within Fantasy I was hoping for some clarification of what NYCMidnight might see as the difference between the two. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gadzooks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gadzooks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 12:27am
Hello, I have a question about Fairytales. Should the fairytale be short and without many details, or should it still try to be a short story with descriptive narrative, etc.? I want to know now if my story will be judged for its wordiness.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYC Midnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 10:00am
@MayMightCanCould  While the two may sound similar in description, we would still recommend writing using the basic elements from your assigned genre.  We would also recommend reading a few short fairy tales and fantasy stories to decipher any subtle differences yourself.  Good luck!

@Gadzooks  Write the best Fairy Tale you can tell within 2,500 words and you should be fine!  We would recommend reading a few classic fairy tales and judge for yourself what would make the strongest story.  Good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic