NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

They Walk Among Us ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote januaryfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 1:56pm
Trill--sorry, I found out too late.
But I have half a mind to post on she-who-will-not-be-named's blog. It just chaps my hide that I feel like I wasted my time giving her comments on her first story. She never reciprocated to anyone. So, she's also a bad forumite. I would have been really peeved if she had been in my group. Granted, I tanked and my time got consumed with school. But it is about how it looks. Her being a judge and then entering a contest looks like she thinks she can do better than the entrants, that she probably thought it would be easy. It's disrespectful to the contestants all around. Just bad.
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Trillian4210 Trillian4210 wrote:

It's not even about cheating, as my letter told them. It's about perception.  It's about keeping things above the boards so there's no suspicion or ill-will.
Lots of commenters here.  I wish more of you (who knew about it) had signed the letter.

Well, you did direct their attention here ... to this topic ...

I read the winning story on her blog ... HEARTS AFIRE ... not bad.  I don't know why people post openly on their blogs, but not here. 

They seek him here, they seek him there, those damned writers seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven or is he in hell, that damned elusive Scarlet Screenwriter! (Oh, phuck, that doesn't even rhyme!)
Trillian4210 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trillian4210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 6:06pm

This is true.  I think the solidarity will have an impact.  At least, I hope it does.

No matter where you go...there you are.
laurentunnell View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laurentunnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by januaryfire januaryfire wrote:

Trill--sorry, I found out too late.
It just chaps my hide that I feel like I wasted my time giving her comments on her first story. She never reciprocated to anyone. So, she's also a bad forumite.

In her defense, she did actually respond to mine.  She gave helpful encouraging feedback.  I have no reason to believe that she isn't a completely nice person.  I really have no problem with highly qualified people competing here and I don't really know how we define "pros" anyway (I imagine 90% of us have received some sort of compensation for our writing at some point)?

I think the main issue with "insiders" participating is that, as most of us have noticed, it can be very difficult to figure out what the judges are looking for, (but if you know the judges it is considerably easier to figure out what they are likely to appreciate).  That said, I don't think this can be avoided.  I mean you can't disqualify anyone who has met one or more of the judges. 
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trillian4210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by laurentunnell laurentunnell wrote:

In her defense, she did actually respond to mine.  She gave helpful encouraging feedback.  I have no reason to believe that she isn't a completely nice person....  
...I mean you can't disqualify anyone who has met one or more of the judges. 

With regards to point one, it's not an issue of whether she's nice or not.  I'm sure she's a stand-up gal.  It's an issue of being an affiliate of the company and then participating in its contests. 

Having met a judge?  No.  BE a judge and then a contestant too?  In what other medium, contest or situation would that ever be viewed as kosher?
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trillian4210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 6:46pm
UPDATE:

The competition directer, Charlie Weisman, has contacted me about the letter.  He was very nice and said that he had given Theresa Huang permission to compete as she had only served as a judge once in the screenplay competitions (which we knew) and because the judging system is done on a purely anonymous basis (which we guessed.)

However, he says he understands how the issue could be viewed as a conflict of interest and he is taking the complaint very seriously.  He is going to send me a more detailed email that will outline NYCYMM's official stance on the matter sometime soon. 

I'll update as I hear back.

Edited by Trillian4210 - 06 Dec 2011 at 6:46pm
QuietAmerican View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QuietAmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 7:29pm
This sounds good.
Thanks Trillian
R2 G48 2017 Flash Fiction

My Scream is My Song
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910