NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do you want feedback on your feedback?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbartley11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by jenspenden jenspenden wrote:

Originally posted by cbartley11 cbartley11 wrote:

What do we think of private messaging each person that writes a critique? Makes the idea of opening up a dialogue less messy on the forum and easier to have a little back and forth. Or is this too clingy? LOL

Er...I don't think you need to PM EVERY person who critiques you, but there's nothing wrong with that if you'd like to try it. Smile I've had many forumites PM me to discuss their story in greater detail. 

I actually like keeping things on my thread because it becomes a time capsule of sorts. When I finally decide to revise something, I'll go back to my thread (sometimes a thread that happened years ago) and re-read what everyone said about it. I consider the thread my personal revision area. If it gets cluttered with discussion about my story, then...GREAT! Let's talk about the story and get it where it needs to be. 

Now, if a conversation derails into something unrelated to my story, then I'll take it to a PM so my thread doesn't get tainted with irrelevant information. 

Hmm. That's a very solid point. I have been talked into writing thanks publicly. lol
jenspenden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenspenden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by cbartley11 cbartley11 wrote:

Hmm. That's a very solid point. I have been talked into writing thanks publicly. lol

LOLLOLLOL
LaissezFaire View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LaissezFaire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 4:25pm
I tend to forget to hit the thank you button, so tend to go back later and do a thanks sweep :)

If so my utmost to respond to every comment, though it may not be all at once. I reply as I return critiques so I know where I left off. The more questions a person asks or if they bring up a point that ended up getting cut, the longer my response. If the critiques are short or just say they liked it, then I consolidate several in one post. Otherwise, it is individual.

I do go back and read responses to the feedback I give. I like to know a writer's thoughts or have a question I asked answered. I don't expect a response, but I always check.
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 5:32pm

I actually like keeping things on my thread because it becomes a time capsule of sorts. When I finally decide to revise something, I'll go back to my thread (sometimes a thread that happened years ago) and re-read what everyone said about it. I consider the thread my personal revision area. If it gets cluttered with discussion about my story, then...GREAT! Let's talk about the story and get it where it needs to be. 

Now, if a conversation derails into something unrelated to my story, then I'll take it to a PM so my thread doesn't get tainted with irrelevant information. 

This.  In addition to "i really dislike the PM notifications that interrupt my posting a comment, etc." - at the end of every FFC, I go back to my thread, copy and paste the entire darned thing into a doc file - and store that with the original story, so that when I am ready to revisit it, the feedback is there.  That would be much more work if i had to do every message individually as a PM.

Also - with the flurry of activity around master lists, or back-chat walking folks through links and such, I generally have to empty my PM mailbox a couple of times each competition (there's a message limit!), else I can't send/receive any more. 
MegOverman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MegOverman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 6:00pm
Oh god. If I got a personal message thanking me for critique, it would 1) take days to see (because I really never notice them unless I'm looking for a reply to something I sent) and 2) make me feel like I should personally respond and lock you in awkward conversation for the rest of eternity. 

All the votes for forum replies. Unless you want to be friends. XD
Have a glass of wine and take it like a writer.

R1 - A Waste of Stars (Drama)
uglypantsuit View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uglypantsuit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 6:28pm
I responded to the one person that left feedback. Lol.

I think especially if there's a question in that feedback, it makes sense to answer it. I don't see it as 'derailing' a thread to start some back and forth and discussing what worked or didn't, etc., when it's a specific to your own story and nothing else.
sarahnut View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sarahnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 7:59pm
This is my first NYCM competition but I've responded to all the feedback I've received just because it seemed like the polite thing to do to me, especially when I can see that people have taken time to give really thorough and thoughtful feedback.

For me, I really like it when the author responds to my feedback for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I'm not only a new writer, but a new 'reviewer' and I think when people tell you what was helpful, it helps me for future feedback - is it useful to people to point out spelling/grammar mistakes? If I suspect something is more personal choice, is that useful? Looking at other people's reviews and the author's responses to them, what have they found most helpful?

And from a pure reader's perspective, it's great to get a bit more insight into the character/story that may not have come through in 1,000 words. I know there are reasons why I decided my characters would say or do certain things and I try not to make it too much of a mystery for the reader, but sometimes it's obvious to the writer but not the reader and it's just good to find out a bit more about a story you care about.
Andrea View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

Even if i never use *that story again, understanding *how it happened helps me not do it in future.  

I love this, and I couldn't agree more.  Though I've only had a couple of stories here that I'm interested in rewriting, I learn a ton about writing with each piece I share.  And, I learn a double-ton with each one I read and give feedback to. 
jenspenden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jenspenden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 10:09am
Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

This.  In addition to "i really dislike the PM notifications that interrupt my posting a comment, etc." - at the end of every FFC, I go back to my thread, copy and paste the entire darned thing into a doc file - and store that with the original story, so that when I am ready to revisit it, the feedback is there.  That would be much more work if i had to do every message individually as a PM.

Also - with the flurry of activity around master lists, or back-chat walking folks through links and such, I generally have to empty my PM mailbox a couple of times each competition (there's a message limit!), else I can't send/receive any more. 

Yeah, inboxes and outboxes fill up fast on NYCM's system. I usually have to delete all of my messages once a competition. It sucks...It'd suck more if I had in-depth conversations about a story I wanted to go back to revise. 

I'll admit, once I go back and forth with a forumite more than a few times, I'll offer them my email address to get off the NYCM system. If we're going to be writing pals, then there's no need to stay formal on the forum. Tongue (I created an email address specifically for writing, so that's the one I give out to people.) 

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 3:11pm
I think it's great to thank people for feedback. I, too, was raised to always thank people. 

On the topic of what we're all using this forum for, I enjoy it for its social aspects. I like making new friends online and hanging out with like-minded people. 

As for feedback on my feedback, I would urge anyone to ask me follow-up questions if I'm unclear, or whatever. Personally, I don't care how weird (i.e., irrelevant) my story threads become. If you all want to go over to my story and post nonsense, it would amuse me. (Go for it!!) I'm just weird like that. 

I have a good friend who has been teaching me how to give better beta-type feedback lately. It's useful. Often, I tend toward grammar stuff, but she's showing me how to get into the heart of the story. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>